I might have killed my Orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Drained the oil today. Not sure what to think of this. I know they are new gears and all but........the second pic I had a neodymium magnet in the lube.

no big chunks, no play in any of the parts that I can see from the outside.
1.jpg
2.jpg

hmmmmm i don't know bud, i just don't know....

malphrus

Yikes! Looks like the gear oil I drained out of my shredded rear diff last winter.

Last time I rebuilt/regeared the rear diff., when I changed the oil a few months after the build, it had lots of metal flecks in it, and the drain plug was pretty heaped with metal frags like what you show. I changed the oil, and it is still working fine 2 yrs. later...Second oil change was much cleaner, but still had quite a bit of frags.......It was a new R&P set too. What does Vic say??
Best of luck? Or it's normal??

That is pretty much how my drain plug looked after I put in Marks4WD gear set in my split case. Just wearing in, I guess.

Dave

Unfortuantely, I believe Vic is at SEMA....ya may have to wait a few days to get a hold of 'im.

Wow, hope everything works out for the better.
Good luck,
-Al

Looks like break-in to me... R&P set-ups often look the same... I wouldn't sweat it quite yet.

Woodie, reckon you ought to pull the write up til he's sure :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Hey TJ, what were you doing when you climbed under his rig . . . . . . .Hmmmmm!

no pieces in it is a good sign,also looks like the usual break-in to me, run it and change the oil 2 more times and it should look alot better.i think sema is over friday so you should here back from him on monday.

Just looking at your 465 write-up its obvious that you are pretty meticulous, but I'll ask anyhow. Did you wash down the inside before assembly? Mine was pretty filthy with "machine shop dust".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom