Steering Wheel Noise 94 Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The steering wheel in my 94 has been making a weird noise, sounds like a metal to metal rubbing. I've ignored it for a few weeks but seems to be getting worse. Any ideas on what could cause a metal to metal rubbing.

I've recently experienced a "weird noise" as well. I'd describe mine more as an intermittent squeak and seems to be most often associated with quick hard left turns (such as manuevering into a parking spot).

Is yours a constant noise or is does it occur sporadically?

so it's more of a metal grinding instead of a moan?

Check your PS fluid.

Mine was low.

I filled it up.

Wierd noise went away.

(it still groans occasionally, what's up with that?)

landtank said:
clock spring

Almost.

That would be the case in a 95-up. In this case it is the horn contact pin rubbing on the contact ring on the back of the steering wheel. It needs to be greased.

Doc said:
Check your PS fluid.

Mine was low.

I filled it up.

Wierd noise went away.

(it still groans occasionally, what's up with that?)

Good question, i replaced (flushed) all my fluid with Mobil syn and it moans every once in a while.

cruiserdan said:
Almost.

That would be the case in a 95-up. In this case it is the horn contact pin rubbing on the contact ring on the back of the steering wheel. It needs to be greased.

:censor: :censor: :censor: Beat me to it and I knew the answer to this one damn it!!! :flipoff2:

Man, I haven't heard that squeak in a loooong time. Hope this thread doesn't jinx me.

cruiserdan said:
Almost.

Dan,

How much of the steering wheel do I need to remove to greese it? Also what kind of greese do you recommend?

Biff said:
Dan,

How much of the steering wheel do I need to remove to greese it? Also what kind of greese do you recommend?

GREASE! Thank you very much. hehehe :flipoff2: Just as bad as breaks instead of brakes for god sake. I feel much better now. :cheers:

Hmmm, my thread, my questions-- didn't know I had reached my limit on what I can ask.

I wonder what would happen if I ask another question or questions.

HOW DO YOU TAKE THE STEERING WHEEL OFF?:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

SHOULD I USE WRENCH TO TAKE THE STEERING WHEEL OFF?:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

WHAT KIND OF WRENCH SHOULD I USE?:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I should really have no initiative now. :)

Last edited:
I'd imaging you would first have to remove the horn. Have you looked around in the general area of the steering wheel for some sort of fastening device that might be the reason the horn doesn't fall off?

Once the horns off you might find want holds the steering wheel in place, or maybe not.

Well,

after the fur stops flying I'll speak up........:D

In order to do a proper job you will need to remove the steering wheel. This will require removal of the horn pad to expose the retaining nut. Straighten out the front wheels and center the steering wheel so you will not have to guess where it goes when you put it back on.

Remove the horn pad (screws from the back)

Grip the wheel and loosen the nut with a socket/rachet. DO NOT let the column lock hold the wheel while you loosen the nut, you will fawk up the lock and you will need to give me some of your money....:D On seond thought do let the lock.......NEVERMIND :whoops:

after the nut is loose, back it off til there are a couple threads still engaged.(very important step)

Grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rock it in and out as you pull it toward you.

You left the nut on so the wheel does not smack you in the mellon when it come loose...:eek:

Next remove the nut and wheel. Clean the old grease off of the back of the contact ring on the wheel and re-grease it with wheel bearing grease.

re-assemble things and torque the nut to 25 lbft..

D-

IMPORTANT FOOT NOTE:

This only applies to vehicles WITHOUT a driver side airbag..............

landtank said:
Ya, but what size socket?

I use the one that fits......................:D

Or you could be a chicken about it and take it to the dealer like I have done.

Please don't take any offense Biff. Post was just poking fun. I've been thru and lived with that squeak several times in the 10 years I've had my LC. It's annoying as hell, but nothing serious. hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom