which break masters will bolt up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im running a two port master and have added a front axle from a 79 with disks. It seems to stop ok, but I don't think the rear is getting much pressure and the front seems to fade so I'm thinking I need a new Master cyl. which ones will bolt up and give me better feel and better braking? do other ones like those out of 4runners or newer LCs need adapters and will they work with the original power break booster.

Check the 76 and later master cylinders.. do you have a power brake booster? My 76 was the first year of disc brakes, so that style master should be suitable for your needs.

Mike

I just finished playing the same braking game. I got a 3rd gen V6 4runner booster from the wrecker, and put on a new FJ80 master that I got from Marlin Crawler. And even with having drums on all 4 corners, it stops on a dime now. All my buddies with minitrucks, and 4runners use the same setup and all of us have never had a problem. I highly recommend getting the new master from Marlin. The bigger bore of the unit makes a huge difference. Hope this helps.

All 4 bolt Toyota masters will bolt up, so up to 1995 masters generally fit. Your considerations are bore diameter, location and direction of brake line ports and whether it is a 4wheel disk vehicle. The larger the bore, the heavier the pedal effort, but the shorter the pedal travel. If you are boosted, effort may not be increased that much anyway. Brake line port location is not that hard to overcome, just a matter of bending tubes or making new ones. If you have rear drums still, go for a master from a disk front, drum rear, like V6 minitrucks and 4Runners, these have 1" bore. If you are 4 wheel disk, go for an 80 master like what Albinig said, these are 1" bore and have the correct residual valves. I also run a Supra master on one of mine, a 15/16" bore, this one works just as well.

I tried to run an 80 master in a disk front and drum rear cruiser. It didn't work really well since the drum return springs are too strong, it took 2 pumps to get a solid pedal, even with the shoes adjusted.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom