OME Leaf Springs are sagging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Austin, TX until 8/04 then Chicago, IL until 6/11
Howdy all,
Got a another problem that I hope ya'll can help me with:

1. Eleanor, I promise pictures will soon follow, is an 86 fj60. THe leaf springs on the front drivers side are bending. They are bending not flexing like they are supposed to. What is causing this is it old age or is there a crack in one or more of the springs?

2. How hard is it to replace those springs? How long can i drive or is it even safe to drive?What should I replace them with and how much will it cost? I am a very very poor medical student

Thanks for the help and advice.

Patrick

How does it drive?
Do you think it might be unsafe to drive?
Does it lean to that side?
You talking stock springs?

Just trying to understand your problem. It is not too bad to replace the springs, but I would replace them all if one stock was gone. Your best shot would probably be to find a used stock leaf spring or set and replace them yourself. There are always people taking the stock ones off to upgrade.

Goodluck

Last edited:
are we talking OME or OEM?

Looks like OME from his sig in which case I don't think you can find a replacement spring too easy.

I didn't know OME made a 4" spring. Do you know if the the fronts are the "light" version? A number of years ago the light front/medium rear was a popular setup. I trashed a set of light fronts on an FJ60. The only extra weight up front was an 8274 winch and a light bumper. I'd rec' the medium fronts to anyone who is interested in actually wheeling their rig - unless you need the heavy version. Unfortunately I don't think there is a cheap solution. You could get a pair of Alcans, or Pinnacles but I've some pretty poor durability in those also. Look at it this way, as a med student you will become an expert in managing debt in the future. THis is a good opportunity to get started. :)

Thanks for trying to help.

Waggoner: I believe the lift was done 4 or 5 years ago.

NocalFJ60: How does it drive? --> THere is not much custion from the random bumps in the road and there is a wierd clicking sound when I turn right or left

Do you think it might be unsafe to drive? I don;t believe its is unsafe to drive. the bend is not extreme and i do not beleive metal that thick would just snap.

Does it lean to that side? It does lean towards the drivers side

You talking stock springs? I do not beleive I have stock springs because Eleanor is lifted at least 4 inches. I say this becuase I am clearing 33's with at least 4 inches of clearance from the tire to the wheel well. Also, I was told when I bought her that she had an Old Man Emu lift. I am not skilled enough to determine if the leaf springs are OME's , but I do know that the shocks are OME.

60Wag:
Is there a way to tell from looking? The previous owner did the mod and he will not return my phone calls.

I really appreiciate ya'll's help. THanks again

Patrick

I agree with 60wag on the fact that OME does not have a 4" spring. They might have been rearched to 4", which might be the reason they are sagging. In that case, replacement is the way to go. There are many manufacturers for new. Look at the HFS springs at Cool Cruisers site. They are supposed to be a good spring and reasonably priced.
Gary

You might be able to read the part number painted on the top of the upper leaf. Front light are 110, front med are 11. Rear light are 221, rear med 113, rear heavy 1131. If you can't read the number, try calling the guys at ARB, the importer. THey are quite helpful and should be able to tell you how many leaves are in the different arrangements. They may even be able to help out with repairing or replacing them. On my old front OME lights, you could look down the length of the spring and see it bent below the clamp plate that the ubolt nuts pull against. If a leaf is cracked, you can usually see it - the crack goes all thway across a single leaf. I've never seen a cracked OME, just bent. THe clicking noise is likely the leaves shifting sideways. Its not a saftey issue, just annoying. Try spraying the front leaves with a garden hose the drive it. If the noise is noticeably worse than when dry, its definitely the leaves shifting.

I have had the OEM springs snap (not OME). I lost the rear spring that way when the main snapped and the handling suddenly got real bad with a lot of wandering (due to a shifting rear axle). The break on my rear was right at the pin on the axle such that you could not see it till you pulled the spring out of the truck.

Hey everybody,
I measured the distance from the wheel well to the tire and it is eight inches.... How many inches is my 60 lifted?
Also, The difference between the left front wheel well and right front wheel well is about half an inch.

Tomorrow, hopefully i'll be able to put up some images

thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom