Want to rip the running boards from my LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I just bought a '99 LX470, and the first change I want to make is to remove the running boards. On an earlier vehicle I had (a 98 LC), the body was shaped such that I had nothing more to do than to remove the boards; however, it looks like if I take the boards off of this LX, the rear of the front fender will look unfinished.......is there any "filler" offered from Toyota that will solve this problem?

This truck will most likely not see any serious "damage-producing" 'wheeling (all we have in Mississippi is mud), so sliders are not an option. I just hate running boards, and I am trying to find a way to get rid of these.......any suggestions?

99 LX 470: Just removed factory running boards and installed factory front mud flaps.........the truck looks TOTALLY different and VERY cool! I swear it gives the appearance of being 1000 lbs. lighter..........photos to follow soon!

I realize this is a pretty insiginificant mod compared to the others I see posted here regularly, but I hate running boards so much, I just felt the need to post some before and after photos (in case there are others who hate the boards as much as I do)......I hope these photos work. If not, e-mail me at dnpcorp@bellsouth.net, and I'll send you copies.
RnBd BandA1.JPG
RnBd BandA4.JPG
RnBd BandA8.JPG

Much nicer :beer:

wow! that really looks better. since I bent mine up pretty good maybe I have enough of an excuse to pull them off as well.

That thing needs some custom body work.

Looks good and thanks for sharing pictures!

I'd think you could lock the front and rear with ARB's for the $$$ a factory rear locker setup would set you back to have done. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that takes some serious work I think.

Tad

Funny. I assume you're wanting the locker for off-road driving. I would think long before you spent the coin for a rear locker that you'd get some appropriate tires.

MoJ said:
Funny. I assume you're wanting the locker for off-road driving. I would think long before you spent the coin for a rear locker that you'd get some appropriate tires.

Because I use this truck as a daily driver (and often have clients with me), a more aggressive tire (louder, less smooth riding) is really not practical for me.......thus the desire for a rear locker: more off-road capability with a quiet, smooth tire.......

I agree about the locker

I would choose smaller tires with locker over big tires no locker. I would steer you towards arb install over factory install. I think you will have a hard time finding a factory locker. Arb's are well proven. You can always get a second set of wheels and tires to install for those muddy offroad adventures.

DNP,

:) i would suggest to put a mud flaps for your lx and you cannot put the one in the cruiser since it is different. if you want i could provide you with the part number. what year model is your lx? i might be interested with your running boards. :)

The Australian version of the LX470 is sold without running boards- standard fare. Heres an 05 Oz model also standard with 17" and not 18" rims.

The rockers on the white OZ version look the same as the LX470 unmodified but with running boards simply removed....
LX470-06_800x600.jpg
IMG_614511.jpg

sleeoffroad said:
Actually the complete rear end from a 100 series with E locker will probably not be that expensive. There is not a huge market for them like the 80 series stuff.

I agree. I found one for $200 plus shipping with 60,000 mi. on it. What a steal.

By the time I called back it was gone:doh:

dnp said:
Because I use this truck as a daily driver (and often have clients with me), a more aggressive tire (louder, less smooth riding) is really not practical for me.......thus the desire for a rear locker: more off-road capability with a quiet, smooth tire.......

I think you will find the AT syle tires do not make an appreciable difference in road noise over the Michelins with much improved traction.

Scoring a cheap factory locker rear end however would be cool!

DNP, the truck looks MUCH better:cheers:

I was lucky to find an LC without running boards. Saved me the trouble of taking them off;)

dnp said:
Now if I can just locate a factory rear e-locker setup................

Head over to your local pick-a-part. I went last weekend looking for parts for the 'ole fj62. I found an LX450 and a '99 LC with plenty of stuff to take off, although neither had lockers. Here in Houston there are a ton of pick-a-parts and I've only hit about 2% of them and found some goodies.

Can you add an e-locker axle from a 98-99 to an 01? Since I have TRAC on mine, how would I go about doing this? That might be an alternative to adding an ARB to the tune of $1100. Could one buy the whole rear housing and then bolt it up to a 100? That would be pretty sweet, there are a lot of salvage yards in KY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom