Fuel Tank Recall from 1991 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
homepage.mac.com
Hello guys...

I just called my local dealer to ask about the fuel tank recall (originally from 1991). I asked if the rep could give me any info regarding my 60... he said there was no way to find out the service history if the vehicle was not serviced at that particular shop. Is this bull or what? I said, "even if I give you the VIN number?" He said, "nope."

What is the deal? Thanks.

jhstatts said:
What is the deal?

Not trying to be a d*ck, butt ...

Jason, call back that stealership(dealership) ... and tell them you would like to make an appointment with the factory(Toyota) service rep. The factory service rep's visit the dealerships about once a month to help their mechanics with the lastest info and to provide buffering with customers.

Owning a Toyota gives you the right to set time appointment with the factory service rep @ that particular dealership.

Let's see what happens then ...

Cahil

P.S. Sorry if I seem a little zealous over this ... I've had my fair share of "greasing" from dealerships. Peace.

Last edited:
The person you spoke with in mis-informed. Since it's an official recall, Toyota is required by law to keep a record of which vehicles have been serviced. All dealers have access to this database. They just type in your VIN and voila.

My guess is that the person you spoke with got confused about service records versus a recall. Toyota does not keep a national database on service records, each dealer keeps their own, and even then some of them purge their records after 2 years or so. Service records and Recall records - different animals.

the dealer is sort of right, they can't tell you the service history but they CAN tell you if a recall has or has not been done. All the need is the VIN

Thanks, guys. I knew he was wrong, but didn't want to tell him he was. I am prepared to tell him he was now. Heh.

Thanks.

so what is the deal with the recall? is my 84 fj60 eligible. what years did they recall?

That's the link I followed to start with... I am about to call the dealer again.

Don't bother with the dealer to check-call Toyota of America. I did that last year via their contact info on their home page. The rep was great, told me immediately whether or not my '83 60 had the safety recall done on the tank (it didn't) and the seatbelt (it did). He then told me to schedule the appointment with my local dealer, who would then have to order the parts.

The dealer is where you'll get some looks and possible 'tude-and most likely a mechanic work force who hasn't touched a cruiser even near that old. Some in the service department clearly were reluctant to help me get this scheduled and ordered-no doubt that there's not much money in safety recall work. Informing them that Toyota of America stated catagorically that they would do this and that yes, my vehicle was going to be worked on by them and they would order the parts, helped.

(Also, the next time I went underneath my cruiser after that I noticed the armor plate had curled up and one of the edges-no doubt due to some mech who unscrewed all the bolts for it save one while it was on lift and it bent down).

They had my 60 for more than a week! doing the recall, to thier credit they provided me with rental during that time.

Cruc

FuelTankRecall.gif

Crucible... thanks for the advice.

Yooper... thanks for the certficate.

Just got off the phone with Toyota of America and it seems that my 60 has had all of the recalls taken care of. To bad, I wanted a new tank.

Oh well.

gamberro80 said:
so what is the deal with the recall? is my 84 fj60 eligible. what years did they recall?

Just called Toyota of America. They informed me that my 84 FJ60 had the gas tank and seatbelt recall serviced in 1992. Good to know the PO kept up to date with things. The Toyota folks were very nice and quick in their response. I was on the phone for a very short time. I never had to talk to a maching. I'm happy with their service.

ben

Benji... I did the same and had the same results. My recalls (seat belt and fuel tank) were done in February of '92. I, too, was pleased with the cordial and quick service... on the phone with them about 4 minutes tops.

I guess I forgot to post that I had done that.

Agreed, Toyota was more than happy to answer my questions for me with quick service and a smile. :)

Anyone that doesn't know should call and make sure, could mean a new tank!

Just had my fuel tank done. The dealer was more than happy to take care of it. The invoice came to over $600 in parts and $300 in labor -- all for free! They changed all of the hoses, clamps, gaskets and tank straps to boot. There is also a recall on the FJ62 rear seat belt guides, but they are no longer available from Toyota.

I have to say Toyota is awesome about recalls. I was over there buying parts (pre-CDan) and just happened to ask about the fuel tank recall on the FJ60. The service guy fired up the computer, came and got my vin, and confirmed the date it was done-very cool.

My wife's first '04 Sienna had a fuel tank recall as well. They called us and told us to bring the car in as close to empty as we could. They gave us a Camry loaner for two days. Then, they returned it with the work done, a FULLl tank of gas and it's scheduled oilchange-all at no cost. Thank goodness too, because she was in a huge accident 3 months later when an 85 year old man ran a red at 45 MPH and totalled her Sienna. So now we're on our second Sienna!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom