Looking for Body Channel Replacement info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
My rig 2/71 FJ40.
I have searched on several forums and sites but just cannot remember where I saw a post about using 4x4 square steel tubing to repair the CENTER tub channel. This is the one that has two body supports, the seat belt and seat supports. Anyone know where that info is kept?

I know it can't be purchased, I have looked on CCOT, SOR, Man-A-Fre, Canada Cruisers, JTO and many others.

I have my rear tub floor, wheelwells and center floor up to the trans tunnel removed. Very bad rust. I have pics of all this if someone wants to see them.

Thanks....

I'd love to see picts. Send them direct at kinney@pdtarchs.com.

I replaced by support with 4x4 tube steel. I was replacing some of the flooring and the way the support was originally formed was from the floor pans being bent. I had heard that using a 4x4 tube steel is an exact fit. Worked perfect. i think it cost me a whopping $12. I brought it home, cleaned it up, POR15 inside and out. I measured where the two mounting bolts go and drilled it out. I bolted it in place and the welder welded the floor pans right to it. I went with a thick wall tube so that I can tap the holes and use the wall thickness of the tube in leu of nuts inside the tube where you can't reach them. I also replaced the rear sill with a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" tube steel. Perfect fit. All my flooring and wheel weel tops will be 10ga steel. Want picts?

I'd love to see how you did the sill replacement Travis. You can PM me if you want to.

Thanks

Rookie post here. I'm about to embark on replacing my rear channel. It'd great to see what others have done. Send me any pics as well, scottb@ssbweb.com.

Thanks!
-scott

I'm much more inexperienced than most when it comes to working with metal, but I just finished replacing my rear sill. I didn't take any buildup pics, but the finished product looks as good as stock. My entire rear sill and underlying metal was completely shot, so I ripped (yes, literally ripped) the remaining rusted metal, fiberglass, other stuff used to hold in the fiberglass, and other junk out. My rear tub mounts were pretty much shot, so I made some new ones out of 5" LDH fire hose. I just cut a few sections square, then glued them together, and drilled out a hole for the bolts. Nice thing about the fire hose was it was free, and already mustard yellow in color, same as the cruiser. :) I then got some steel tubing, coated it with POR, and attatched it to the rear bumper/frame piece. I bought a replacement sill from CCOT, and welded on the nuts for the spare tire carrier brace and hook, then spot welded the CCOt channel onto the steel tubing. After smoothing out the welds and a little filler, it looks like brand new. I'm about 90% done putting the cruiser back together and I'll have some pics when it's all complete.

Here are some of my before picts

1969FJ40

I can't find the 'after' photos. Will take some new ones tonight. Sorry for the delay.
DSC00003.JPG
body channel.jpg

Finally here are the picts

Shown is the rear sill box channel 2.5"x2.5" with 3/4" holes on top to fit a socket into to reach the mounting bolt.

Other picture is 4x4

Everything looks rough because I tore off my rockers and rear quarters and am getting ready to weld on new. All flooring is new. rear bed is 10ga. sheet steel.
rear sill.jpg
4x4.jpg

If it wasn't for the color I'd say you took pics of my rear tub. Saving to have mine repaired by Ironpig Offroad. If I had ANY skills for this I would do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom