window screens? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if any of the aftermarket people make screens for the rear window. The dog sleeps in there when we're camping.

Also need a front bike rack.

My plan is to cut out nylon screen bigger than my window, glue continuous strips of flexible magnet around the edges, stick it to the outside when camping. That should work well and cost little, I'd like to hear other ideas also.

Bill, (photoman) has a similar set up to yours scott. might want to check with him for pointers. there is a big amgnet on my beer fridge waiting to get cut up for this.
Dave

Definitely need to figure something out for this. Went camping a couple of weekends ago and ended up sleeping in the back. Left the back windows cracked and woke up with a grampus/dobson fly (about 3 inches long with 1/4 inch long pinchers) crawling up the side of my head. Still having nightmares over that one...may have to get therapy :).

:beer:
Rookie2

I may soon be sleeping in the O'Hare parking lot if my airline job keeps regressing. Soundproofing may be my next concern.

Mot has tried to come up with rear (3rd row) screens in Japan but has struck out so far. He has been able to locate some for the 2nd row if that would help anyone. The ones I did for the 3rd row I made out of Oak and used No-see-um screen. I will say the screen has to be in tightly if anyone goes this route as the wind tends to try to suck the screen out at speed. Also when it rains the screen sticks to the window. Works great for cross ventilation when sleeping in the back, especially with a fan. Making a wood frame was a little complicated as the window and frame is curved in two directions. I didn't do the best job I could have as I had to get on the road when I made it.

Pic of rear window.

The front I made using magnets epoxyed to some No-see-um screen. They work well when I sit and eat in the front seat. Not real good in a strong wind but really keep the mosquitos at bay. Got the magnets in a big bunch from a craft store.

Bill
Rear Screen.jpg
Screen side.jpg

I have seen pics of Bill's screens. They are really nice. He actually made wood frames that fit in the window for the screens.

My thought was to stick pieces of velcro around the inside of the rear window, and then put the other side of the velcro to screen material.
Similar to what Scottm had proposed.

I guess I was typing to ooo slowwwww on that one

Hey Photoman. Your truck seems to have so much darn thought into it it's scary. What about talking to TJK about running a brief write up for Toyota Trails about it. Folks always enjoy seeing trucks being used for a purpose. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tips. I am not a handyman. I was hoping to find something pre-manufactured.

Photoman said:
Mot has tried to come up with rear (3rd row) screens in Japan but has struck out so far.

Sorry to disappoint.

Your job, as usual, looks pretty dang good!

My batting avg. while playing highschool baseball was far better than my track record has been trying to help out the forum members here with various parts from Japan. ;)

I ran mine on the inside edge of the door frame. I used the sunblock type screen. I've got a little guy and dogs who ride in the back, and they appreciated the shaded feature. The magnets we originally tried were too weak so on our trip we ended up taping them to the inside of the door frame. It worked well for the rest of the trip. Photomans Frame is a good idea. I've been considering doing the same but out of aluminum. We ended up driving with ours on the whole time. It is sort of nice because the dogs don't stick their heads out so I could leave the windows down when we stopped and parked. Not very secure for theft. But nobody seemed to think we had anything worth risking an arm or hand for. The Sunroof is next. No bugs while wheeling, but the fresh air of the mountains.

I guess my method is too easy. I just bought a mosquito/noseeum screen that you would use to hang over a bed (used it at boyscout camp when i was young). Open the back doors and wrap the thing around the end (kinda like a rubber :)) used two bungee cords to secure and it worked like a champ! Then you have the extra room to stretch with the bottom rear door folded out.

Sounds like a very good simple solution if you are parked, but I run my screens while I'm driving. When doing the trails in Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Colorado last year I enjoyed the fresh air while driving mosquito free.

oh.....i must have missed the moving part. Sorry. Try bug spray with DEET and windows down :)

I solved that problem by moving to N. Idaho. We sleep with windows open and no screens.

Actually, for the simplest solution try this. Using 1/8" plexiglass (easy to cut/shape) make a duplicate of the rear cargo window that you can insert into the rubber track by flexing, but is large enough for a tight fit in the rubber track. Then cut out most of it, leaving perhaps a 2" border to act as a frame and glue plastic screen across the removed area with epoxy. For a mosquito proof seal, add a thin strip of self adhesive foam to the forward edge where it mates up against the front section of the window.

Or, move to Idaho...

DougM

If you're using magnets, have a look at 'rare earth magnets' for real staying power. For this application, make sure they have some surface protection (eg rubber) and a 'handle' of some sort to get them off - they are VERY powerful. A magnet smaller than a pencil eraser will 'stick' to same through my finger!

Cheers, Hugh

Wow, just as I'm pondering something that'd fit in the window track I see my brother has beat me to it! I need something like expanded aluminum grate for the skeeters here, maybe a couple grates with high-voltage like our dad's antique bug-zapper light.

I have a bunch of those magnets at work, thumbnail size. No way are they getting near my truck. They always have bits of metal stuck to them, I'd eventually gouge my paint.

It's hard to tell in the pic of the front screens but the magnets are epoxyed to the outside of the screen. That way only the screen or maybe some epoxy touches the paint. I had to mark the screens to for the DS and PS to make it easier.
One other little problem is when I remove the front screens the magnets all stick together so the next time I go to install it's a magnet ball.

Concretejungle - sometimes I sleep in high density bear areas and since I have my food inside it might get a little crowded in the back of the cruiser with your system.

Bill

Junk said:
Hey Photoman. Your truck seems to have so much darn thought into it it's scary. What about talking to TJK about running a brief write up for Toyota Trails about it. Folks always enjoy seeing trucks being used for a purpose. Just a thought.

It has a well over 8,000 pounds of thought into it.....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom