Exploding coil! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm driving home - and my beloved LC starts running rough, then the engine light goes on. It doesn't quite stall but it is not happy. Smells a little funny. I limp the few miles back to home and look things up on this very helpful forum. Coil. Yup, that must be it. I have plans of stopping by HF in the morning, picking up a code reader, and stopping by the dealer for a coil. I then decide to go outside and check for a loose cable (wishful thinking) and I see one of the coils has lost the plastic top! It has expanded inside and popped its top! Ever see this before??

(at least it makes it easy to know which one to replace!)

- Gil
Ventura, CA

Haven't heard of this on the board before.

Place post a picture when you replace it.

coil exploded - picture - by popular demand!

OK, so hear it is. Kind of cool huh! Now runs like a charm. Is this a part that is worth keeping a spare of when off road? It would seem so.

- Gil
coil.jpg

if you have the money to have an extra coil pack as a spare part it wouldnt hurt. But usually they dont explode like that telling you exactly which one is bad. You would need a scantool usually to determine which one is malfuntioning, or by trial and error if your out in the middle of nowhere.

I've seen that happen several times but mostly on Honda's coils that rest under the dist cap.

Several times I've seen the old style soda pop can style pop as well...

What other parts are worth bringing with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom