Steering Column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing pwr steering in my 76 FJ40 and want to retrofit a tilt column. Has anybody done this and does anyone know which column will work the best? Thanks.

Look at the 3-27-04 post in the Hardcore section "Full tilt"

nocents

i used one out of a 74 cammaro but any early to mid 70s cammaro or i think even vans would work, anything with out column shift, just measure your factory column and find simular leangth chevy, when i did my 76 FL40 i opened up the area in the dash were the factory column went so i could take full advantage of the tilt feature. it took about a hour to figure out the wireing, but is not that hard if you need any help just ask!

before u do anything what year is your cruiser?
that makes a huge difference that no one told me.
also what engine and do you plane to run power steering.

iam just finishing up this project along with the power steering and some engine stuff too and its a pain in the ass if you dont look at there questions first.
all cruisers with manual steering up till 71 i believe have a different steering box that has the column attached to it.

pm me if u have ny more questions'

mike

I used one out of an early GM van. It was column shift but no ignition. I just cut the shifting linkage off the bottom and changed the shift collar. The original under dash mount just needed spread a little and worked fine. For the floor mount I used a mount from Ididit ($20). I ordered the shafts and u-joints from borgesson. Over all it was pretty simple except for figuring out the wiring but I've got that wrote down if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom