Door Won't Open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a new one to me!

There rear PS door won't open when unlocked.

When doors are locked, the handles (both inside and outside) pull out to full extension just like the other.

When doors are unlocked, the handles only pull about half-way, like they are catching on something. It feels as though the the unlocking mechanism is coming completely unlocked.

I have pulled the housing around the inside door handle. The metal rod that connectes to the lock lever is attached and appears to be moving its full length.

I figure the problem/solution would be easey to see if I could pull the door panel, but that is kind of hard to do with the door closed.

Help! Any ideas?

the only kinda cool thing is that my 18month old son gets to be like the Dukes of Hazaard as I roll down the window to put him in and out of the car seat :). (Yes there is another car seat with another kid on the other side of the car)

Is the child safety lock engaged?

Wow that is wierd.

My first thought was the CSL's too, but that wouldn't effect the operation of the outside handle....

DRTDuck said:
I figure the problem/solution would be easey to see if I could pull the door panel, but that is kind of hard to do with the door closed.

Ouch, that is a tough one, probably one of the rods came out or something similar, but how do you get to it now? you have to get that inner door skin off

Last edited:
With the rear seat out (14mm) you should be able to remove the inner trim panel. most likely the latch linkage is disconnnected, the metal rod you see for the lock and the one for the inner handle connect to the actual latch, the rod connects through a plastic clip, I am guessing you had the child safety locks engaged already but once you get the inner trim panel off you should be albe to see the outer handle linkage to engage (push down on the rod) and get yourself open, then its just a matter of finding what came loose.
Dave

Phaedrus-

isn't the inner trim panel held down by the door frame when it is closed? or you are saying i should be able to manuever it out even with it closed?

These simple tools should help you get the door open:

20.jpg

I didnt say it would be easy...
remove the screws from the armrest and the inner handle peice, there are 12 or so pop retainers around the outside edge of the door you might end up breaking these in this approach but hten the inner trim panel will lift up and should bow in the middle enought ot get it out. is basically vinyl wrapped masonite so there is some flex there.
Dave

Phaedrus--that's waht i was envisioning, just wanted to clarify.

Doc--that would be kind of fun wouldn't it!! :)

Byron,
The same thing happened to an 80sCool member about 2 or 3 years ago. His was the front PS door. He was able to remove the door panel with the door locked shut. I am sure the write-up is in the 80sCool archives but haven't got a clue on how to find it.

Good Luck!
-B-

Byron,
See if you can pull the 1/4 int trim on that side as this will give you a little more wiggle room when you go to do this, I went out and looked at mine just to dream up ideas but thats the only one that comes to mind.
Might be worth finding a inverse door wedge tool, will look a lot like a regular wedge but it will curve 180 Degrees at the head.
Good luck sir.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom