Long term impressions of OME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new owner of a 1997 FZJ 80. I've looked on the baord and in the archives but have not found any worthwhile answers to the following question yet. For those of you running the OME heavy duty 2-3" lift what other parts need to be changed besides shocks, springs, and bushings? Christo has a few other parts he recomends with the kit. Do brakelines need to be replaced? &nbsp:Does the lift affect the life expectancy and/or performance of the driveline? How long have you all been running the lift? Mileage? &nbsp:Does it affect fuel consumption by altering the angle of the driveshaft? Excuse my elementary questions but I need to know all sides of the mods prior to installation.

Thanks

Shocks, springs and caster bushing as you stated. I've also installed the Stainless steel brake lines for their added length since the new suspension will travel further and for better pedal feel. You should also lengthen the diff breathers, not the hole all in one delux lengthening that has been posted but just what you now have because again the suspension travels further.
I've been driving on my OMEs for 72k now without any bad side affects.

Snowcruiser,
Your questions are along the same lines as Jon's questions in the "Hey" thread.

>> For those of you running the OME heavy <<
>> duty 2-3" lift what other parts need to be changed <<
>> besides shocks, springs, and bushings? <<

Depends on the shocks. The OME L-shocks are longer and would require more mods. Longer brake lines, sway bar drops, and lowered bump stops. See George Scalaro's web site for details.  As Rick mentioned, the diff breathers need to be extended. I strongly recommend doing the diff breathers the right way and that means getting the breather inlet up a lot higher than it is now.

>> Christo has a few other parts he recomends <<
>> with the kit. <<

His recommendations are great and we would/will all get those accessories when we can. I believe he will agree that some are not "required" (implied in your first question.)

>> Do brakelines need to be replaced? <<
Answered above and in the "Hey" thread. The SS brake lines, extended or not, will improve the pedal feel.

>> Does the lift affect the life expectancy and/or <<
>> performance of the driveline? <<

Maybe.

>> How long have you all been running the lift? <<

Almost 2 years, 25k miles.

>> Does it affect fuel consumption by altering the <<
>> angle of the driveshaft?  <<

Probably, but who cares?  The most likely cause is increased wind resistance from sitting 2+" higher in the air. If you bought the 97 Cruiser for economy then you will be disappointed. There is a lot you can try to improve the mileage. I don't think anything will work to the extent that you'll be posting hallelujahs to this list.

-B-

My impressions of the OME springs and shocks I've got on are still great! The rig has been all over Arizona, in everything from dirt roads to mud and slickrock, fully loaded with gear and people and has performed flawlessly with no sag.

This weekend the cruiser is dragging 4 teammates, 3 bikes, a canoe and full gear to Durango for an adventure race; where it will be used as a support vehicle. I'm sure it'll meet the challenge!

Just go with OME. You'll be happy you did!

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom