Builds 1978 BJ40 Restoration, ETA spring 2015 roll out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aircrew

Beer sipping, Toque wearing northern brother
Threads
Hey all,
I have been meaning to make a build thread for a while, so I might as well get on it!

Here is a little breakdown on what I have and what needs to be done.

1978 Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser- Four speed B Diesel.

All stock, minus the tires. And I plan on keeping her that way.

I am in the process of doing a complete frame off restoration, The engine is seized so I am going to have it completely rebuilt. Because I don't have the time or the know how when it comes to diesels!
The frame is straight, has some surface rust but nothing serious; the previous owner basically used it as a farm tractor so it is a little rough. The biggest problem on it is rust, rear bed, rear fenders, front fenders, rear quarter panels, kick panels, and doors. Nothing I can't fix though.

It came with a warn winch, needs some work(as in does not work, but will if I can get parts!...bushings windings)
The only thing that I do not have so far is the stock water sedimenter and the light to go with it!!!!

So I will try and post the pics in chronological order. I took the tub off the frame today so things are just getting exciting.
Sundre, easter 007.jpg
Sundre, easter 001.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so on day one, I started to take things off and get to know my new project. I was very satisfied with the build quality, and if this beauty can hold up to the grueling test bill put it through; this cruiser and I will be good friends for a long time to come!

The first couple of pics are just me with the cruiser :D, and then a pic of the dash!
Sundre, easter 038.jpg
Sundre, easter 039.jpg
Sundre, easter 061.jpg

I started by grinding off some of the rust on the quarters... and ya I decided that Cutting was better than grinding. That is after I discovered there was more rusted metal than solid metal

:D :crybaby:

And then the last one shows where I was about two days ago, alot of rust gone already, and most of the dash apart, tranny tunnel out, almost ready to take off the tub.
Sundre, easter 041.jpg
Sundre, easter 049.jpg
BJ40(2) 043.jpg

And here are some pics of the front being worked on, and the collection of parts that have now been moved from the hay shed to my garage!!! mmmmmm Garage.

And the last one is a pic of the Front bezel. Spent a whole day just trying to get that mother straight,and fill some random holes... the hard way!!! Putting in metal...not bondo! :D
BJ40(2) 050.jpg
BJ40(2) 048.jpg
BJ403 031.jpg

Any info, wisdom, criticism, and help very much appreciated! and welcome!!!! :D

What's up Aircrew! Looks like it's going to be a nice one when your all done. keep posting up pics. Some day I'll own a diesel!

Thanks! What do you drive now?

I hear ya! Wouldn't want it any other way!

heres an update!
Body is off the frame and sitting on blocks for now.
Just started to degrease and take all the mud out of the frame.
I also have pictures of taking the scale off and throwing some self etching primer on there until I get my sandblaster back.
BJ404 013.jpg
BJ404 029.jpg
BJ404 035.jpg

I have a '78-40 all stock and desmogged. Right now I'm having a hard time w/idling.

Nice, what do you think it might be. If I can help I will!!? :D

What is going on?

Hi All:

"Aircrew," good luck on the re-build! You have a lot of work ahead of you, but you have made progress already!

Do keep this thread updated with more info and photos as your project progresses!

Regards,

Alan

Hey there Alan, yes I like to think I have made at least some progress!

Thanks, I will keep it updated!

By the way, my name is Brodie. tried to change it in my signature a couple times but no luck.

78 BJ40 Rebuild

Brodie,
Your project looks very similiar to mine. I have a 78 FJ40 that I am doing a complete rebuild on. I have been working on mine for about 8 months. Progress seems slow at times but persistance pays off. Anyway good luck on your project and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions. I have attached photos showing my project.
Good luck,
Vern

Last edited:
78 BJ40 rebuild

Brodie,
Here is the latest photo of my cruiser. My goal is to have it completely done by the end of the year.
Vern

Last edited:
Thanks Vern !!!
What did you use on the frame. POR 15?
And did you sand blast or wire brush with grinder?
Looks like you used primer then sealer eh. I was going to just keep the primer on there until I sandblast, but I guess I could keep it on.

Your project looks great, what condition is your body in?

78 BJ40 Rebuild

I had the frame, tub and all painted body parts media blasted at a place called Media Resurfacing in Huntington Beach, CA. The paint on the frame is Zero Rust. There are 7 coats on it. The body was rusted so bad that I bought another tub from TLC4x4 in Los Angeles. The body and all the body parts are currently at the body shop. I am going to paint it the stock color Dune Beige. I have attached a photo of the body before disassembly. Just a note, it is so true that a descent restoration will cost about 4 times as much as planned. I originally thought it would cost about $10K, boy was I mistaken, I currently have $26K into it. By the time I'm done I expect to have close to $30K into it. But the cruiser will literally be brand new. I have replaced every bearing, seal, gasket, soft trim and everything in between. I had all the bolts nuts washers brackets and misc. hardware yellow zinc plated. This alone cost me $550. I know it will all be worth it when I drive it upon completion.
Vern

Last edited:
Good job Aircrew, nice to see you younger guys doing these restorations.

One bit of advice, after pulling off all the sheet metal, you might want to put some supports across the body to keep its form.

Rob

Thanks rob, what I was thinking of doing was when I do get all my body parts. I will re assemble the roof and doors to make sure everything is still in place. then weld supports in so that it won't move while disassembled. Thought of after... figures.

I am planning on replacing 1/4 panels, rear fender wells, bed and uprights in rear. Plus a cross member upgrade of my own. going to go with square tube near beginning of side doors. and then also square for smaller crossmembers, with shims to fit nicley to the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom