Builds Spread the Mustard 78 Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok everyone. Here goes. Bought this rig last summer while living in Oregon. Pretty bare bones when i got it. Was in bad need of some body work and also needed a top, side doors, ambi doors, and paint job back to original Mustard color. . My quest for findng parts and cleaning her up began last summer. I found a hardtop off a 78 and a set of doors and ambi doors. With limited space and tools i worked primarily on the inside. After moving her across the country i am now able to dive into the fun stuff.
Plans are to keep it as stock as possible with a few upgrades. Not looking for a daily driver, just something to have fun in. I am working on this with my dad who has 2 other 40's. One he restored and one original.
Hope you enjoy
Picture 051.jpg
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 060.jpg

Some of the initial body work on the rear quarters. These required a lot of rust to be cut out and new metal put in.
Picture 057.jpg
Picture 055.jpg
Picture 062.jpg

More pics.
Picture 062.jpg
Picture 077.jpg
Picture 081.jpg

All of the paint has been stripped by hand. No sandblasting. that part has been a lot of fun. The rockers were in pretty bad shape as well. Lots of rust cut out and replaced.
Picture 093.jpg
Picture 094.jpg
Picture 080.jpg

Now that the rear has been cleaned up we are ready to hit it with the first coat of mustard.

Initial Spray
Picture 105.jpg
Picture 106.jpg
Picture 107.jpg

FastEddy,

It is Toyota Paint #532 which is Mustard yellow. Not sure why yours is darker, maybe lots of years of CA sun have faded it a little.
Yeah, the olive rig is a nice one. 77 all original, 35K miles.

Looks Mustard Yellow to me.
78FJ40 13.jpg

That's a great looking rig. I am likeing the mustard more and more each day. More pics to be added this weekend. We;ll be spraying the front fenders, bib, apron, hood, cowl. Can't wait

Looking good so far. Be sure to keep us updated as the work progresses.

Mustardddddd

A few more after a busy day...
78 Repaint.jpg
78 Repaint 2.jpg

more......
78 Repaint 3.jpg
78 Repaint 4.jpg

mustardy... and mighty purdy.

Great work! Keep the pics coming. :D

Damn that looks good, you're doing fine work on that thing.

Here we go, a few more pics of the progress so far. Ended up buying a parts rig to get a few items i didn't have so have been tearing it apart as well. Enjoy the pics. By the way i need some help. I have a set of wagon wheels that i am debating on putting on this rig in place of the wheels that are on there. What are everyone's thoughts/opinions?
DSCF1698.JPG
DSCF1699.JPG
DSCF1700.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom