how much lift before effects caster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much lift until caster and drivability is effected?

I am not one for the 1.5" spacer lift, would really prefer something in the 3" range. But from what I see on my searches it looks like anything over the 1.5" spacers requires caster adjustment.

I need a lift that is :banana: or :banana: :banana:. It will be done in my driveway with only one person. I have done suspension lifts on Tacos, and 1st. gen 4Runners. But this is my first LX450/FZJ80. AND I have to keep $$ down so it stays under the wifes radar :rolleyes:.

I checked the FAQ and think there should be a "Best Lift for the Buck" section.

Fire away.

We'll skip to what you want - a 3" lift. They are inexpensive, and easy to install, I'd say far easier than a 1st gen 4-Runner, and those are easy. You will need caster correction, Slee should eventually have a bolt kit for you. Maybe they will update?

From the write up on Christo's site and others in this forum the caster correction is not that difficult, just need to find a shop with a strong press to put in the new ones, the bushings are included with the OME lift most of the time. I believe you can do the lift with one person. Caster is affected with any lift, the more you lift, the more it is affected. I would say go for the 2.5-3" if that's what you really want.

So after reading through Christo's stuff, it looks like the Front Adjustable Spring spacer is the ticket. But what goes in the rear? Am I wrong in assuming that you by a set for the rear also?

But, here is the question for you all. I do no plan on installing a heavy front bumper, nor a heavy rear bumper (YET). So if I go with the OME 850J/OME 863J how stiff is the ride. I used to have a very stiff ride in the previous dual purpose wheelers. But this one has to retain a decent ride for all the client driving I do. Which was the reason for looking at the spacers in the first place.

Would be nice to go with the OME lift but can't afford to have the fillings fall out on clients.

Somewhere back there is a tread that discussed a lot of this.

1. Do no lift the vehicle with spacers only before changing springs. You create a top heavy situation on top of stock oem springs that can not control the vehicle.

2. Theoretically OME springs should all give close the same ride when used correctly. If you use a heavy spring to get extra lift when you do not have the weight on the truck that the spring was designed for it does not drive good. At no time should the OME system be a uncomfortable harsh ride. When it is, I can bet you it is where people wanted to get extra inches by using the incorrect spring.

3. There is a lot of confussion because people assign inches to lift. No two trucks are the same and also the inches quoted is an average between front and rear. The way to choose the suspension is to decide what you are going to do with the truck, what tire size you want to clear, what weight you have on the truck and then what is your budget. Unltimate inches are not the final goal.

4. Adjustable spacers are for people that already have OME lift (or other) and want to go to a 5". However since there are not that many spring choices for the front, it helps to have adjustability to level the truck out.

5. Do not compromise drivability in terms of caster etc etc just for looks. It becomes a safety issue.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=13745;start=msg127468#msg127468

Christo, thanks for chiming in.

"ok, Doc, here is the wants. You write the prescription."

I want to run 33x12.5 Tires (305/70/16) Always wanted MTR's on the other wheelers, but know that the LX will RARELY WON'T (reality check) see hard core for the next 50,000 miles.

I want to be up a little higher so I don't feel like I am getting into a mini-van.

Now....write two prescriptions: 1) what lift 2) what tires......Yes, I will use my personal preference in the outcome.....but I want to know what a trusted name in the Cruiser Community has found.

OK, if you are not planning to add any weight to the truck in terms of bumpers etc, I would install 851/860 springs, with N73/N74E shocks. Also add the caster bushings and the steering damper.

If you want less lift, the 861/862 with same shocks. No caster bushgins needed. Will also install the steering damper.

You will get the ride you want with moderate lift and no negatives in terms of vibrations, bad handling etc etc.

The Prophet has Spoken!!

Thanks. (how soon do you ship?)

I just did this. Lifting the front leans the control arms forward 1.5 degrees per inch of lift. Lifting the back beyond the front gives another -0.5 degrees per inch of lift. The reason I mention that is because when I did the OME heavy lift I got 3 inches in front and 4 inches in back - while waiting on bumpers (haven't decided yet - waiting on answer about protection for the AC condensor).

Caster specs are +2 deg +/- 4 deg. Therefore, a 2 inch lift, giving only 3 degrees of negative caster, keeps you within spec at -1 deg. However, just because it's within factory spec doesn't mean it drives well...

Steve H

Mudshack -

Helped a buddy of mine put the 851/860 (med duty) OME lift Christo was talking about on his LX450 over the weekend. The truck actually rides a lot better than with the stock setup...with a nice aggressive stance on 305/70R16s. Easiest lift I've ever installed - then I had to get back in my stock LC :(

Tucker

Tucker,

A call to Mr Slee will solve your new-found problem. :rolleyes:

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=16440;start=msg158603#msg158603 date=1084821979]
Specs are +2 to +4 degrees. Not 2 +/- 4 degrees
[/quote]

Oops - that's right. I read the printout wrong -

Specified Range
2 deg 4 deg

It's

Specified Range
2 deg 4 deg.

However, that means that even with the medium lift you need the caster correction - 2 inches is 3 degress, putting it out of spec.

Steve H

[quote author=tucker74 link=board=2;threadid=16440;start=msg158746#msg158746 date=1084831655]
Mudshack -

Helped a buddy of mine put the 851/860 (med duty) OME lift Christo was talking about on his LX450 over the weekend. The truck actually rides a lot better than with the stock setup...with a nice aggressive stance on 305/70R16s. Easiest lift I've ever installed - then I had to get back in my stock LC :(

Tucker
[/quote]

sweet....now to break it to the wife that I will be modding the Lexus

>> However, that means that even with the medium lift you need the caster <<
>> correction - 2 inches is 3 degress, putting it out of spec. <<

And that is exactly what Christo recommended in his first post in this thread.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom