Bedliner/Durabak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sprayed mine with a schutes(sp) gun and found a lot of difference in the texture was possible by varying the air pressure and the feed. Lots of little drops and not much texture with lots of air and minimal material and coarser texture with the opposite. Play around with it. I like the fact that you can paint over the Durabak.
GL
Ed

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=16222;start=msg155403#msg155403 date=1084384273]
I sprayed mine with a schutes(sp) gun and found a lot of difference in the texture was possible by varying the air pressure and the feed. Lots of little drops and not much texture with lots of air and minimal material and coarser texture with the opposite. Play around with it. I like the fact that you can paint over the Durabak.
GL
Ed
[/quote]

thanks for the tip. now go cut your doors!! 8)

I'm in the process of prepping my interior for spraying as well. I picked up an undercoating spray gun from Harbor Freight for ~15 bucks. After waffling about what liner to use, I'm leaning towards Duplicolor's bed liner. I sprayed a few parts and the ambulance doors to see how it comes out. It leaves a pretty smooth finish, not real chunky or tacky, close to paint, but thicker. I think it looks better than some of the pics I've seen with Herculiner/Durabak. It also comes in a spray can or quart/gallon, and is paintable as well. Just my 0.02's

i rolled on b/c i don't have a gun

malphrus

The duplicolor product was what I used, I liked the more "chunky" look. Just kicking myself for not painting it the same as the body. It gets dusty and is kind of a pain to keep clean, but wouldnt be if painted.
Can't cut my doors until the top halves get here!!!! But when I do, I'll post the pictures of me degrading and taunting the doors...before I cut them. I'm just trying to decide whether to wear a ski mask or not.
Ed ;)

haha,

good call ed

I just finished rolling on Durabak in the tub of my 40 and the tub of my buddy's CJ. I think you should spray, rolling sucks. I am very happy with the end result, though.

Let us know how it turns out, I have two truck beds to do and want the lowdown on the spray method for those projects. good luck

Hey, Hay, you've got it. If you've never sprayed anything before, you can do this stuff. The Harbor Freight Gun sounds good to me, $15?. I borrowed mine, but they're like blowing across a soda straw, not complicated and only 2 adjustments, air pressure and amount of material. It really is a no brainer...cannot be f'upped. Go for it...and smile. Just paint it your body color so you won't be pissed at yourself like me!
Ed :D

Painting over the top immediately sounds good-only prep once, no worries about removing the seats, etc a second time. I did notice after doing some sanding that the back doors got dusty pretty quick, it was pretty noticeable. Guess that means I have to figure out what color I'm going to paint the exterior...damn....

I'm doing the WHOLE Cruiser with it. The interior is going to be a cake-walk, it's already stripped out, sanded, and primed. The exterior is getting another day of wet-sand and some here and there hole filler (PO drilled a few holes for gadgets) and then I'm slinging some Durabak. Definitely gonna spray it on.

Mad Chemist: Rumor has it with the guns that the higher your pressure the smoother the result. I'm not going for a real "chunky" look, but do want the texture of the durabak to be prevalent.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My computer at the house should get finished up tonight or tomorrow, and I can post some pics of the prep work.

Tom IV

honestly man,

don't even bother with the wet sanding. any irregularities that are present will be covered by the durabak. easy.

i would just make sure to clean and prep the metal very well, and the xylene works great on everything but skin. i still don't know why i didn't wear gloves...

good luck with it man,
malphrus

oh, wait, i just realized,
you haven't taken the exterior down to the metal have you?
that's why you're wet sanding

sorry about that

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. The undercoating gun I have has a pretty big nozzle on it, I'll be curious to see how much texture I end up with.

Good luck!

I used white Durabak as a headliner (inside of the fiberglass cap on my 40). It turned out great. I rolled it on but, if I were to do the whole tub, I'd definately want to spray.

Fact is this s*** is the best darn stuff out there. I been through them all I should know! Called the folks at durabakcompany.com like 5 times and they were helpful every single time. I only bought a gallon! Hehehe best stuff out there and some of the very best American service I have ever gotten. Full stop. I don't know bout spraying, fellow from durabakcompany.com said I shouldn't spray if I don't have experience, so I listened to him and do not regret it! Looks like new till this very day!

I did the interior of mine with the tan color. Looked great for a while. I got grinding dust in it that rusted and stained it. I cannot get it out. I will redo with raptor liner but black this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom