WTF...what syn. winch line to get?!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what do y'all think... I need some new line, like yesterday...and I'm gonna go synthetic, but what company...wanna spend like 200-250...@ most...so let me have it... oh, running on an 80 w/ warn 8K...there's Viking, Amsteel, warn (caChing though!!)... etc... want safe reliable product for the duration...thanks for the guidance in advance...

what do y'all think... I need some new line, like yesterday...and I'm gonna go synthetic, but what company...wanna spend like 200-250...@ most...so let me have it... oh, running on an 80 w/ warn 8K...there's Viking, Amsteel, warn (caChing though!!)... etc... want safe reliable product for the duration...thanks for the guidance in advance...

I'm running Masterpull...

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=197

There was MP on the M12000 when I bought my FJ60 from freightdog. I don't know how long it was on the winch, but it deteriorated from UV/elements and I finally broke it twice on the same run, actually on the same recovery......I had the 60 high centered pretty good. Regardless, there are pro's and con's. As I see it the pro's are that it's stronger, lighter, doesn't store energy, and is easier to work with. The con's are that it's suseptible to UV/elements, is more expensive, it will cut, and isn't easy to come by.

Now I don't need my winch a lot, but when I do it's usually really bad. I was going to get MP to replace the degraded line with, but after a few phone calls, I can buy 3 aircraft logging cables cut to length, with a warn eye on one end and a thimble on the other end, and hooks for less than the price of 1 MP line. Another bonus.......I can get the aircraft cable locally and have it made up in about 20 minutes. Just my .02, but I'm gonna stick with the aircraft cable unless I get into some serious rockcrawling. The MP just isn't worth it to me.

On another note, I was so sold on synthetic winch rope that I bought an 8' plow line and a 50' line for my ATV. Since I've had them (only 1 year), I've managed to break/cut both of them several times, hawse fairlead and all. I've been really surprised. I'd rather wear gloves and deal with the cable. HTH. :cheers:

dayum...

broke 2 lines...more than once...s***... ok this is one testimonial...what to do, what to do...

Im not trying to discredit his testimoney, but dont just stop there. Way more proffessionals are using synthetic and wire. Masterpull is the way to go. It's what I use. I simply made a little cover for my winch line that I take off if I need to winch.

Im not trying to discredit his testimoney, but dont just stop there. Way more proffessionals are using synthetic and wire. Masterpull is the way to go. It's what I use. I simply made a little cover for my winch line that I take off if I need to winch.

Mine came with a 6' HD nylon sheath that gets velcro'd over the MP winch line when needed to protect the winch line from abrasion.

It's like many things in life...weigh the pros and cons and make/live with your own decision. Steel cable is relatively cheap and relatively maintenance free...and has saved many a butt out there ;)...no arguing that. But I run syn because it is lighter, generally safer and easier to work with in recovery situations...but price was not my highest decision making priority (if it was then I would have just stayed with steel).

ok...pulled the trig...

Thx for the feedback y'all...pulled the trigger on some Amsteel line... lots of info out there loving it... UV protected, etc... OK 4x4 will laso repair if It ever breaks...so happy bout dat... 100' 5/16, XD hook, & hawse... can't wait for it to get here!

if you are worried about UV protection, just go to your local climbing store and buy 10 or 15 feet of nylon webbing. It is a hollow tube. Slide that over your synth line (it'll take a little while to slide it 100ft) up to the hook. Then when you spool up the winch, the last 15 feet will have a little coat on it to protect it from sun. That should cover at least the last layer of winch line.

The added bonus is that the nylon webbing will also protect the line from minor abuse like thorns/barbed wire and such.

word...

gonna do some webbing for shizzle... got that idea the other day when searching the net... a simple fix... amsteel will come with a sleeve too... but I'll add more...

Get at least 20' of webbing. I've got a 10' protector on the end of my syn line and it only covers about half of the last layer on the drum.

You know, you could just get a piece of leather or heavy canvas and wrap the entire drum, then just remove it before using the line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom