A/C Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I run the A/C I get a sweet and kinda musty smell? I changed the cabin air filters and it didn't seem to help? I see in the 80's section, people talk about running BG Frigi-Clean, or a silimiar product through the evaporator? Is this even an option in a 100 series? I would love to "flush" the A/C system of all the junk that is probably in it. Everything works fine, just smells funny. Any ideas?

I have the same smell, I noticed when I turn the A/C off and then back on the smell comes for like 5 min, bothers me a bit, hate it.

Cheap trick..............Close all the doors, heat on FULL floor and spray a can of your favorite Lysol in the intake vents on the cowl. Let stand for a few hours.

Shane

Problem you have is that the drain from the A/C is clogged. When the A/C is running the (evaporator) coil is dehumidifying (cooling) the air (in heater/A/C housing) and the "humidty" (water) that normally just drains out is now stuck due to clogged drain. With a little bit of heat, it creates an excellent environment for mold and mildew growing in the heater/A/C housing (creating the smell).

First order, clean drain, then rinse out all the "muck". Going forward, when parking under trees, keep pine needles and leaves out of the air intake.

Wellcraft19 - can you describe where the drain is on the 100?

Once you know you have a working drain then you can access the Evaporator for cleaning by removing the "No1 cooler cover" (8 screws - where the filter access is). I would vacuum everything I could before adding a liquid cleaner.

The Frigiclean looks like it's just a foaming cleanser to me. Probably not needed since the whole evaporator is easily accessed for cleaning. Just use a normal cleaner.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html

I have had success by shutting down the AC and running outside air on a high vent-only for the last 5 minutes of a trip. The idea is to evaporate any condensation that has accumulated on the Evaporator prior to leaving the vehicle. Sitting stagnant water is what is most likely causing the smell.

Last edited:
NNMuzj100, sorry, cannot yet (but will try to look tomorrow).

When I hear about the "sweet and "musty smell" in my experience it has always been a clogged drain leading to water/moisture accumulating in the heater housing, and then "fungus"...

If sunny tomorrow, I'll try to crawl in under (already have the plastic pan out due to change of O2 sensor). Should be easy to find the drain hose (I hope).

If you can grab some pictures while you are under there that would be great.

Let me know what you want. Anything in particular? I can try to focus in on what you want.

I was just thinking of the drain tube for the evap.

OK, think I found it (took a few pictures, will upload later tonight).

On the right side of the firewall, almost above the right hand frame member, just below the black engine room insulation, and close to the edge of the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, there is a short drain "stub" that sticks out of the firewall. It is a bit of weird position since if I put in a drain anywhere, I would not have it drain on the frame itself. On the other hand, the water is "destilled" and likely cleaner than anything the LC will see underneath.

If you go at if from above, you should be able to stick your hand down and feel it (easily seen from below when plastic skid plate is gone).

In any case, it looks like you'd even be able to gently clean the drain with some compressed air (hopefully not disconnecting it where it connectos to the heater housing). If I get a chance later, I'd pour some water into heater housing and see if it comes out...

Picture added. Below you can see the little "stub" that is just on the right edge of the heat shield (middle of picture). Picture taken from below. "Up" on the photo is towards the rear. O2 sensor is seen poking out of exhaust to the left.
20070411_0162.JPG

Last edited:
Good pic of the location.

Pint - a big pipe cleaner and you could be back to smelling like a rose. I think this would be a better job for the street than the garage.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'll dig into it this weekend if we don't get snowed in again. I guess if it snows I won't need the A/C!

I just got done cleaning out the drain pipe. I ran the front and rear A/C on high for the next 60 minutes and it smells nice and fresh! Thanks guys! It's time for a refreshment or two...:beer::beer::beer:

pint: What did you use to clean the A/C drain line? My A/C is smelling musty...that isn't there when the A/C is off. Given all the dust we drive through out here it's gotta be packed!

pint: What did you use to clean the A/C drain line? My A/C is smelling musty...that isn't there when the A/C is off. Given all the dust we drive through out here it's gotta be packed!
Dust? Where?:grinpimp:

Spresso - I used a long piece of flexible clear rubber tubing from Home Depot. It was 1/4" OD. I used a piece about 6' long. It just kept going and going...just shove it in the drain tube and keep pushing. I had that musty smell for at least a year. Now it's all gone. Smelled nice and fresh on my recent 3,200 mile road trip!

Don't forget that there is another condenser in the right rear of the vehicle.

Don't forget that there is another condenser in the right rear of the vehicle.

I can't seem to find the rear drain. Is there one back there?

I cleaned the front passenger side A/C drain yesterday.. it took a bit of
work to get a 10 gauge wire jammed up in there.. it went in almost 8 foot!! is that normal or did i break something? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom