Found the Engine Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
Dave-T and I pulled the engine out of my 1986 FJ60 a few weeks ago. I finally had a chance to tear into it to find out why it was locked up. The PO had the engine rebuild not too long before it locked up on him. I don't know if it was done proffesionally or under a shade tree. I'm glad I already have another 2F engine that I will be installing in the rig.

I can see the final results but what do you think actually caused the failure?
PICT0078.JPG
PICT0079.JPG
PICT0080.JPG

The wrist pins are not the same depth. I realize they do float but they are not centered on the connecting rod.

The main bearing were not lined up with the oil galley holes. The top rings were broke on the front two cylinders.
PICT0084.JPG
PICT0085.JPG
PICT0086.JPG

Last edited:
:eek:

That is one seriously screwed up engine! What's your plan with it? Good luck Dan.

:lol:

I'll bet if we combined them we would have a good one. :idea: :D

holy crap, that fawker got hot!:eek:

that's a bummer dan. at least the replacement was cheap. and it even came with some great "road trip stories"!:lol:

is the head still good? there's definetly a market for that item.

the cylinder heads on these rigs are prone to cracking when the engine overheats. if you post the cylinder head in the for sale section on here you'll get replies right away.

If you look at the bottom picture of post #1 it is a close up of the #3 main bearing. This engine came out of an 86. I understand from Cruiser Dan that they quite using the seperate thrust washers in 10/84 or around that time period. The oil passage hole is plugged with metal shavings and the oil passage around the main bearing is full of metal shavings, that is the grey looking stuff.

My guess is that this is not the factory engine to this FJ60.

I do not want to sell a bad head.

How do I tell if it is cracked?

Is there something extremely obvious in a certain place that I can see with the naked eye? Or, is this someting I take to a machine shop and have them magniflux it to check for cracks?

You should take it to a shop and have it magnufluxed. I bought a donor head for my 85 FJ 60 off an 87. I thought instead of tearing into the 85 which I knew had a blown HG between 5 and 6, I could have a good head with a valve job and shave ready to go. Plus if the 85 was good I would have a spare. The previous owner said that the 87 donor ran great and didn't overheat or use coolant. After getting the 87's checked out there was a crack running across the head between 2 and 3 that headed straight into the small soft plug on top by the manifold side. On to plan B which was taking the head off the 85 and having it done. It all checked out and it got resurfaced and a vlave job. Picked it up yesterday and will be reassembling this weekend. It only cost about $35 to have it magnufluxed. Some cracks may not be visible to the eye with just a cleaning of the head. Mike

You should take it to a shop and have it magnufluxed. I bought a donor head for my 85 FJ 60 off an 87. I thought instead of tearing into the 85 which I knew had a blown HG between 5 and 6, I could have a good head with a valve job and shave ready to go. Plus if the 85 was good I would have a spare. The previous owner said that the 87 donor ran great and didn't overheat or use coolant. After getting the 87's checked out there was a crack running across the head between 2 and 3 that headed straight into the small soft plug on top by the manifold side. On to plan B which was taking the head off the 85 and having it done. It all checked out and it got resurfaced and a vlave job. Picked it up yesterday and will be reassembling this weekend. It only cost about $35 to have it magnufluxed. Some cracks may not be visible to the eye with just a cleaning of the head. Mike

At least you only did it once. I had two spare heads around, both were cracked. I still had to pull the good head out of my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom