Manual Hub Conversion questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently switched from Toyota automatic to Mile Marker manual hubs (they work great). Because I'm unsure of exactly how it works now and I don't want to break anything, I always stop when engaging 4hi or 4low with the hubs locked. Can I shift on the fly into 4hi from 2hi and from 4hi to 4low and at what speeds can I do this.

According to the owners manual, you can shift into 4hi at speeds up to 55, but I have done it at 60-65 with no problems. You don't even have to push in the clutch, although it's hard not to. To shift into/out of 4lo, you should be stopped, but you can fudge it at less than 5mph.

send me your stock hubs!!!

ill send you some warn hubs!

i need the cone washers, too

i hate warn hubs. junk.

you can "upgrade"

will you please send me you aisin hubs?

wait i kind of jumped the gun. i am only interested in manual aisian hubs. all years

Last edited:
what do u need these for? I have many years

spares. and to give to my buddies that were dumb and used warn hubs.

i need a set for a 1980 truck and for a 1989 truck

theres only 2 manual types right? the blue ones and the red ones?

You can ONLY shift-on-the-fly between 2HI and 4HI if your hubs are locked. The front spinny bits (technical term ;) ) need to be turning the same speed, or you will chew up the cog in the t-case.

You're supposed to be stopped to go from 4HI to 4LO, but ya you can do it if you're gentle and moving really slow.

I also have a nice set of spare IFS AISIN hubs I'm trying to sell, includes all the hardware and a new set of gaskets:

AISINHubs.jpg

Asking $50.

What is so crappy about the after market hubs? Is their design really that much different? Should I get rid of my milemarkers and just keep them around as spares or something? Thanks for all the replies guys.

Brian

The Warns I hear need constant retightening because then don't use the cone washer system to bolt on. I don't know much about the MileMarkers, but I have heard that there's nothing stronger than the Aisins. FWIW.....
yep and dont get superwinch hubs they are the bottom of the barrel.i had to hammer mine to get them off:crybaby:

Besides the lack of conewashers, Warns are considered disposable on the trail. Here's what happens to them:

P1010060.jpg

I've seen this happen several times. An AISIN hub will never do that. They're not indestructable, but darned close!

There was a thread on Pirate a few weeks ago about them, a few guys posted that they have busted the inner splined cog part. But they really had to hammer on them.

But grenade the outer hub body like that? Nope.

Wristy, The solid axle and IFS hubs are different, I don't know about the newer blue ones... So there may be 3 or more types....

:D i know
the strait axle ones have a blue turn thing
and the ifs ones have a red turn thing.

What is so crappy about the after market hubs? Is their design really that much different? Should I get rid of my milemarkers and just keep them around as spares or something? Thanks for all the replies guys.

Brian

you need to check this thread out.

:D i know
the strait axle ones have a blue turn thing
and the ifs ones have a red turn thing.

The blue dial ones are ASCO hubs, they came on some solid axle trucks (I have a set on an 80 model I have). Most SA trucks came with the red dial AISIN hubs, as did the IFS trucks.

The SA hubs have a raised and rounded dial surface, whereas the IFS hubs have a flat dial... along with the obvious difference in inner cam spline count of course.

When did they go to the vacume lock front diff? :confused:

If it's vac lock are'nt all you comparing apples to orange's?

Vac lock's are just spline lock disc's and not, NOT even lock in, lock out, or auto hub's?

And facktory hubs are a direct bolt on and way better alternitive.

And the best of both worlds.

shift on the fly
Low2
better fuel economy

Last edited:
Besides the lack of conewashers, Warns are considered disposable on the trail. Here's what happens to them:

P1010060.jpg

I've seen this happen several times. An AISIN hub will never do that. They're not indestructable, but darned close!

I have seen/heard about Warn hub fuses, where these the hub without the fuse, are they the same, I don't know.

Would the alternative have been a brocke CV/birfield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom