Codes 83,84,85 onn 93 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The check engine light on my 93 LC (155K miles) comes on for a few seconds every hundred miles or so. Codes: 83,84,85 came up. Something like "TCM Communication" What do these codes mean and how do I fix the problem(s). ???Thanks.
Gimp

C-Dan had these codes and had to replace the ECM to fix it. New is expensive so you might check bone yards (sorry Dan.)

-B-

The Wulf is correct.

Those are TCM-ECM communications codes. In order to eliminate the problem you will need to replace the engine ECU.
You will have an 89661-60170 or 89661-60220 in the vehicle now. You need an 89661-60221. A new one lists for $1,400.23
If you can locate a used one, you are looking for a late 93 or a 94 only. BE CERTAIN the number on the label is 89661-60221 or don't even bother to try it. New ones are, of course, available. One at a discount would still be over a thousand bucks.

D-

Not a lot of markup there Eduardo, just a very costly part.

Yikes :
So, what's the worst that could happen if I just let it slide for now, Dan. Remember, the check engine lite comes on for a few seconds every few hundred miles....that's it... nothing continuous.
Will I notice a progressive problem? If so, where? Poor acceleration...
P.S. I also have a blower......

I mentioned this before and I honestly don't know if it will work, but you might consider buying an Jet chip. These are performance chips for the LC. My thinking is that they need to change out your chip for theirs as it is soldered onto the board of the ECU. If by chance this is the same chip that is giving the codes you might save yourself some serious $$$ and get a kick in performance as well.

Bringin this one back from the dead.

Landtank,
Do you know if anyone tried the jet chip that you suggested?

My truck pined a 83,84,85,21...........just once (Christmas day.....nice present).
Now it just throws a 21, and I cannot reset it (CEL on with the key)
I am thinking it could be the front o2 sensor or its wiring, the plug is in the the worst spot and it gets pelted with everything that comes off the tire.

I had another ECU (an old one 60220, but supposably OK) and I get the same code 21 and no 84,84,85.

Truck runs perfect......just hate the CEL.

I talked to JET way back when (sometime in 04) and they didnt seem to think that their upgrade would do anything for the 83, 84, 85 codes. I talked to one of their programers a couple of times and he thought it would be best to buy a new ECU and then send it to them.

In the end I picked up a used one from Cruiserparts.net and no codes for the 4 years!

I talked to JET way back when (sometime in 04) and they didnt seem to think that their upgrade would do anything for the 83, 84, 85 codes. I talked to one of their programers a couple of times and he thought it would be best to buy a new ECU and then send it to them.

In the end I picked up a used one from Cruiserparts.net and no codes for the 4 years!

so how much did you pay for a used ECU?

So a story with a happy ending.

After a year and a half with my CEL glaring at me I made a last effort to fix it.

I replaced the ECU months ago with the late 94 one (60221) - did not clear the code 21

With my catless exaust I removed the PAIR valve assembly
I moved my sensors to the PAIR bungs and installed 2 new sensors- did not clear the code 21. (the outboard sensor was bad and I thought the new one would clear the code)

I pulled the EFI fuse, dissconected the battery and changed the ECU several times and still could not clear the code.

I was now thinking about the grim task of peeling the loom off and tracing wires.

Working through the FSM troubleshooting with a volt/ohm meter, I started to check the pins on the ECU (everything was pointing towards a bad circuit) I got some erroneus readings on the EFI pins and pulled the EFI relay to check it and YEE HAW it was the culprit.

So i think that during start up when the O2 sensor preheater is activated the EFI relay is in the circuit.
I would have thought that if the EFI relay was not functioning the truck would be dead but this was not the case.
I put the malfunctioning relay back in and the code was clear...go figure (it was like the relay was stuck).
I will pick up a new relay anyhow.

This is another story about how the FSM saved a shade tree mechhanic...that book is awsome. With a paper clip, a multi-tester and the FSM the gremlins have no place to hide.

I got a used one from cruiserparts for around $350 back in Feb. 83, 84, and 85 are now gone.

So a story with a happy ending.

After a year and a half with my CEL glaring at me I made a last effort to fix it.

I replaced the ECU months ago with the late 94 one (60221) - did not clear the code 21

With my catless exaust I removed the PAIR valve assembly
I moved my sensors to the PAIR bungs and installed 2 new sensors- did not clear the code 21. (the outboard sensor was bad and I thought the new one would clear the code)

I pulled the EFI fuse, dissconected the battery and changed the ECU several times and still could not clear the code.

I was now thinking about the grim task of peeling the loom off and tracing wires.

Working through the FSM troubleshooting with a volt/ohm meter, I started to check the pins on the ECU (everything was pointing towards a bad circuit) I got some erroneus readings on the EFI pins and pulled the EFI relay to check it and YEE HAW it was the culprit.

So i think that during start up when the O2 sensor preheater is activated the EFI relay is in the circuit.
I would have thought that if the EFI relay was not functioning the truck would be dead but this was not the case.
I put the malfunctioning relay back in and the code was clear...go figure (it was like the relay was stuck).
I will pick up a new relay anyhow.

This is another story about how the FSM saved a shade tree mechhanic...that book is awsome. With a paper clip, a multi-tester and the FSM the gremlins have no place to hide.

Hi MARLIN375

Where did you get your FSM from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom