synthetic winch rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone using the syn winch rope? Wondering if it's worth the $650 posted in 4wheel parts catalogs. Also wondering if there is significant savings in weight with the syn verses steal?

Just trying not to :bust: :bust2:

$650??? OUCH

http://www.rockstomper.com is where I got mine...major weight savings, much safer to use, no wire strands to catch, etc. LOVE the stuff.

my understanding is the biggest reason to use rope is the safety, when winck cable breaks it goes flying at very high speed, a broken steel cable flying through the air can really mess up your day if you are in the way especially far form medical care with a stuck truck and no winch

the other danger of winching (sudden slack take up) is still there, but that is more predictable

Edit* stolen from http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/winches.html

A. Be aware that a broken winch cable can have enough force in its whiplash to
cut through a truck's roof and windshield. Imagine what would happen if the
cable met a person. A cable that hits a small tree will tear the tree down. A
cable that hits a large tree can wrap tightly around a tree so a person behind
the tree is not necessarily safe. Solid objects such as hooks and snatch
blocks will fly through anything, including a truck's hood, if a cable breaks.
People should stand well out of range of the cable and never in line with the
cable. Furthermore, if a cable breaks, the truck being winched may roll
downhill, so never stand downhill of any vehicle being winched.

Concrete, $650? You hit the wrong button when you typed 6 by any chance? I got some from a group buy and most of it's gone or spoken for, but there is one used set up of 3/8 x 125' from Masterpull. Good stuff and the dude only used it like for 2 winch times. He sold his truck the weenie. Let me know if you're interested.

No shiz, $650 for the rope. I thought that was steep, but haven't really shopped around. I can see safety as another great reason to get the rope. But @ $650, i'll look around.

Seriously, call Jesse at Browne and Ware Overland....great guy and knows his stuff...saw quite a few ropes last thurs... 207-439-2100

tell him RJ sent you.

RJ

so if i have a 8000lb winch do i need more then 8000lb rope?
1/4" @ rockstomper is rated at 9,200lb.
200 feet of that for only $187! i think i'll get some this summer
as my cable is ready for replacement.

5/16" minimum....Rockstomper even states that the 1/4" is insufficient for real winching...

"Please note: Although the strength of 1/4" Amsteel Blue is very high, we recommend it for winches 6,000 pounds and under only. "

direct from their site.....

super

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=14336;start=msg134532#msg134532 date=1081365302]
5/16" minimum....Rockstomper even states that the 1/4" is insufficient for real winching...
[/quote]
So basically Woody, 1/4" is what you use? :flipoff2:

I was always told to just replace the OEM cable with same dimensions when going to synth.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=14336;start=msg136260#msg136260 date=1081567652]
So basically Woody, 1/4" is what you use? :flipoff2:

I was always told to just replace the OEM cable with same dimensions when going to synth.
[/quote]

Did someone join the band?

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=14;threadid=14336;start=msg133884#msg133884 date=1081284885]
Also wondering if there is significant savings in weight with the syn verses steal?
[/quote]

Yes. Very significant.

Get after it!

I've got the plasma rope on my 80 and the stuff is great. Incredible weight savings and just as strong as steel. I would highly recomend it to anyone who wheels.

I'll hook you guys up.... Call me at 1.800.503.0244 :D

Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope
5/16" x 100' - $125.00
5/16" x 125' - $155.00
3/8" x 100' - $170.00
3/8" x 125' - $210.00

$10.00 shipping in the U.S. (lower 48 states).

Out of all the stuff I have used, Amsteel Blue kicks the competition in the nuts. I would avoid Mastersuckpull as their hardware is total crap.

Outback said:
I'll hook you guys up.... Call me at 1.800.503.0244 :D

not a bad price on the safety hook either....hhhhmmmm

Modifcations to ARB bull bar???

For those of you 80 series owners that switched to synthetic winch line and have an ARB bullbar did you do make any modifications to your bullbar? I just switched to synthetic and added a hawse fairlead and it looks like the fairlead has a "visor" mounted over it. By "visor" I mean the mounting point that was used for the top bolt on the old rollers. Hope this makes sense....my descriptive abilities are lacking at this moment....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom