anybody used the Toyota Techinfo online site? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
hi guys,
if there is somebody out there who used the techinfo.toyota site to get info from manuals, could you tell me please what the file structure is on there?
I would like to check some manual info but would like to find out first how the material is organized Is it by whole manual, file, keyword, what?
For instance, I may need to check material spanning several files in a chapter of a manual. Would I have to download every single file separately for that chapter, or can one do it all at once? From what I have seen of Toy electronic manuals they break the manuals down in hundreds of separate files. It could get pretty tedious to get information if you have to access each file separately.
Anybody knows?
thanks
Eric

The docs are PDF files. Books are divided up into multiple docs. Search is provided to enable locating interesting pdfs. Spend the 10$ to check it out yourself. If you want to download the entire service manual for your truck plan on spending a number of hours.

the 03 electronic manual is something like 1500 separate files...
the earlier ones are maybe half the size but that is still a bit too many files to download if you have to do it one at a time...
can't do the whole manual in one fell swoop eh? too bad.
Must have done it on purpose...
E

I already have the paper manuals but for 10$ it would be nice to have an electronic copy aswell, a disk and a laptop would be very useful on trips/trail

would it be possible to grab it all in one day with a good broadband connection? sounds tedious but is it doable?

"NOTE: All subscriptions expire at midnight, Pacific Time on the last day of your term.
This means a one-day subscription may actually provide greater than 24 hours of usable access. "

so if I start my subscription at 1am do I get almost 2 days of use?

Start at 1 am and you get 47 hours of access for your ten bucks.

You could certainly download the entire field service manual in a small number of hours. But you will need a commerical version of acrobat or some other software to index and organize the large number of pdf files that you will end up with.

Rich

Thanks rich, I do have access to Adobe acrobat (full version) but have never tried something like this I think I can figure it out given enough time

I sent an e-mail to the TIS site customer service asking if they would consider doing so an abuse, they basically gave their blessing

my e-mail to them:

hello,

I have a 96 Lexus LX450, I already have paper copies of the FSM EWD NCF and body repair manual that I recently purchased through the Toyota material distribution center, but I would like electronic copies as well to use with a lap top wile on the road (saves a lot of room)

I was thinking of purchasing a one day subscription and downloading the electronic copies, (I have broadband) but I was reading through your terms of service and you say my account will be denied for "irregular activity or excessive traffic"

what is considered excessive traffic ? would downloading a manual set for one vehicle be considered an abuse?

Thank you for your time and please advise

Raven

TIS reply:

Raven,
Please look at the section titled System Requirements to make
sure the lap top you want to use is configured correctly to
view the documents properly. There have been other customers
that have done this and had some difficulties due to the
monitor screen size. The question of legalities is covered
in the section titled Legal Stuff. The information contained
on the Toyota TIS Site is for your own personal use and a
single user. Hope this information helps you.
Regards XXX

Raven, been toying with the idea of doing this myself, but never got to it.
Would you let us know what you find out?
thanks
Eric

going through it right now, disgustingly tedious. not only are tere thousands of files to download you have to rename most of them as they use short file names and repeat often judicouse use of folders helps but still have to rename most, also had to uninstall acrobat reader as it was trying to open these files instead of downloading them

making this mass of files useable will be even worse

Update 10-12-05:

A must read

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=721037

Last edited:
Any way to use an FTP script? If you buy Tyler a few lattes he might scrounge up a Javascript or a little ASP for you.
-B-

Try Httrack s/w . I used it before to mirror web sites and its very good and fast. It will rename file names if needs be and u can chose just to pickup PDF files if thats what u want.
at http://www.httrack.com/

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=14175;start=msg133288#msg133288 date=1081202573]

Any way to use an FTP script? If you buy Tyler a few lattes he might scrounge up a Javascript or a little ASP for you.
-B-
[/quote]

that would be wonderful but I am not sure it is possible, as far as my median computer skills get me you can only access the files through their Javascript APP, if you try to go directly to the address of the .pdf (http not ftp) it gives an error saying you must log in to access that file

I think I figured out an efficient file structure, the big problem is each pdf is named very similarly, comp.pdf, insp.pdf remo.pdf disa.pdf, inst.pdf SST.pdf etc, so if you try to throw them in one folder it is a mess, the “components location” for the fuel pump and fuel injector have the same name (comp.pdf),

so I have a folder for each manual, inside a folder for each section (this is the level each search gets you to) and then another folder for each subject,

for instance fuel pump removal:

..Manuals\Service Manual\SFI\Fuel Pump\remo.pdf

the PDF's subjects that only have one PDF like “VSV FOR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR)
INSPECTION” witch was originally called “insp.pdf”
I just rename the PDF to its full name VSV FOR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR)
INSPECTION”and stick in in the section folder next to the subject folders

[quote author=thelal link=board=2;threadid=14175;start=msg133302#msg133302 date=1081204469]
Try Httrack s/w . I used it before to mirror web sites and its very good and fast. It will rename file names if needs be and u can chose just to pickup PDF files if thats what u want.
at http://www.httrack.com/
[/quote]

I dotn think it would get past the java either it would get this

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Final//EN">

<html>
<head>
<title>Lexus - Technical Information System</title>
<!-- 1024x768 -->

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function eventOnLoad()
{
// if the page is loaded inside the frameset, reload the browser window with that page's url
if (top.frames.length > 0)
top.location.href = self.location;
}
//-->
</script>
</head>
<!-- frames -->
<frameset border="0" framespacing="0" rows="40,99%" frameboarder="no">
<frame name="topnav" src="/tis/tismain/lexus/html/topnav/topnav.html" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" noresize>
<frameset border="0" framespacing="0" cols="250,99%" frameborder="no">
<frame name="leftnav" src="/tis/tismain/lexus/html/leftnav/leftnav.html" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0" noresize>
<frame name="view" src="/tis/tismain/lexus/html/view/lexview.html" marginwidth="10" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0" noresize>
</frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes>
<body onLoad="eventOnLoad()">
<p>
This section uses frames: a feature your browser does not support. Please consider upgrading to a new browser.
</p>
</body>
</noframes>
</html>

and that is it

I think Brendon's suggestion is worth a couple of hours dinkin' with it.

-B-

got just about everything done, are there any "Campaign Publications" for the fzj80? they do not give a listing you have to search for them, without knowing exacly what I am searchign for I cannot find anything

well besides the "Campaign Publications" I am finally done, 1,260 files 135MB my fingers and eyeballs hurt, but I think it is worth it not only did I get copies of my current manuals but others aswell

here is what I got that was '96 LX450 Specific: Repair Manual (FSM), EWD, New Car Features (highly recommended), owners Manual, collision Repair manual, Automatic Transmission overhaul Manual, a very comprehensive maintenance schedule, and service bulletins

also downloaded some general stuff that applies to Toyota's and lexi's of this era "OBDII Monitor Description and Specification Supplements ", wire harness repair manual, training manual (similar to the one linked here before but newer) and I downloaded the 96 TLC service bulletins, as it had 82 apposed to the LX450's 59 bulletins, have not had a chance to compare and see why the difference ???

I need a cold :beer: for my fingers and sleep for my eyeballs

E9999 thanks for showing me this

just a suggestion her but back that all up to hard disk right now.
I am a bit of a freak and have all of my data on hard disks and then redundant between two machines.
dave

agreed, the cost of one days subcriotion is not bad the but the time invested is very expensive, it is on 2 computers for now, after I do some renaming it is going to CD also

RT, could you tell us a bit more about how much time this all took and how you did it?
Did you have to find each file separately somehow or was there a way to figure out the directory structure and all file names?
No wildcard download eh?
thanks
Eric

Anybody try wget? (Linux command)

Pit-a-full, I guess I value my time just a bit more than others. You can spend $200 or $300 to buy every manual in existence or spend 24 hours downloading them all. 300/24 = $12.5 bucks an hour + $10 subscription fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom