Good toolkit for an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
has anybody figured out what tools would constitute a good lil' toolkit to take along on 80 outings?
Just the basic stuff needed to take care of some of the most likely common or important failures or breakdowns on the way (like drop the shafts, remove locker actuators, Birfs, water in the gas, manual locking of CDL, make your own fuse, whatever)
One could always take most of the shop's tools, of course, but I'm talking about a smaller duplicate kit that could stay in the truck, without being missed in the shop, nor forgotten at home.
What would that be and what sizes of everything?
thanks
Eric

Someone started a great on back in the SOR days. I know I started a few on my local list. If I can find one, I'll post it up as a starting point.

thanks guys.
The list on the GCC site (under the photo with the 2 trucks on the left, folks) is more a general list of tools for the garage than a pack-along, though. I was thinking more about a small kit to keep in the truck that would do most things. For instance, it seems that I use mostly the same size sockets when doing simple things on the truck so far. But I've not yet figured out seriously which these are. Seems like 12 mm is commonly used, IIRC. IOW, I'd gladly buy another 12 mm and a couple more to keep in the truck, but not a full set.
E

The GCC list looks like a pack along list to me. Sorry about the length folks.

5-gallon gas can, full
1 gallon of antifreeze
2 quarts of engine oil
2 quarts of gear oil
1-2 gallons of water
Can of silicone spray
Bottle of brake Fluid
Bottle of power steering fluid
1 drive pulley belt
Hose patch repair kit
Hose clamps
Miscellaneous nuts and bolts
Tow strap
Winch or Come Along
Ax
Shovel
Handtools
Hi-Lift Jack
Windshield scraper
De-icer spray
2 Flashlights
Tire repair kit
Fullsize spare tire
Multipurpose knife
Duct Tape
Electrical tape
CB Radio
Blanket
Flares
2 lighters
Gasket Sealer
Aluma-Seal
Energy bars
Tire Chains
Jumper Cables
First-aid Kit
Tarp
Warm Clothes
Fire Extinguisher
D-schackle
Snatch Block
Tree Strap
Extra Birfields
Bungee Cords
Nylon Cord/String
Third Member
Clean Socks & Underwear
Bailing Wire
Hand Cleaner & Paper Towels
Ziplock Bags for Gear Oil, etc
Chain Saw & Accessories
Trash Bags
Quick Set JB Weld
18x18" Plywood for Jack Base in soft soil
Spring Pins
Spindle Nut Socket
(installing those spare Birfields)

thanks Jason. Useful full list.
Wuz wondering about the "handtools" part though.
Eric
(I like the "extra Birfields" item, though... :D)

This generated a fairly good list:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=5893

For just tools, I carry:

A full ratchet set (metric and SAE)
A snap-on multi-head screw driver set
Various pliers (lineman, needle,...) + wire cutters
A wire stripper + crimper tool
Utility knife
Metric set of ratcheting wrenches
One of those extendable magnets + a 'grabber thing'
Large and small vice grips
Large Ax (AKA BFH)
A few clamps
Digital multi-meter

Cheers, Hugh

The GCC list looks like a pack along list to me. Sorry about the length folks.

You forgot the DVD player :slap:

Ok
seriously taking a stab at whats in my tool box that lives in the back of my truck.
1. cheapo socket set, sae and metric. added to that a small torque wrech flex head ratchet, 12" extension, 3/8 swivel joint and adapters to go from 3/8 to 1/2. POS manasuck hub socket. complete set of metric box end wrenches and sae wrenches, metric ratcheting wrenches. and the open end wrenches from my old 80 series too kit.
2. assorted phillips and straight blade drivers. one stubby ratcheting multipoint driver full set of metric and sae allen wrenches, not the folding index kind cause I hate those damn things. nut drivers in metric sizes, some jewelers drivers and a set of bodyman picks (hook and bend and straight point)
3. digital multimeter. about a 20' length of 8 gauge wire and some various peices of 10 and 12 gauge wire. one in line fuse set and a base model toggle switch. also a cheap set of crimp on connectors and wire strippers.
4. hammers. have one basic carpenters hammer one welding slag hammer (tomahawk style with straight blade and point) and a rubber mallet.
5. hack saw.
6. two pair of vice grips, two pair standard pliers, heavy duty lienmans pliers, slip joint pliers, pipe wrench, and sears robo grips (not really sold on these yet)
7. small adjustable locking caliper. works great when you walk in to the parts store and say I need hose this big and hand them the calipers. I love em.
8. pair of atlas rubberized gloves. old bandana to keep the hair clean when crawling under.
there are some other odds and ends rolling around in there but thats waht I use regularly.
also in the side panel I have retired set of belts, fire starter soem odd lengths of heater hose and vacuum hose, new seals for the front hubs and bearings. bottle of brake fluid, one quart of oil, one of atf, and a bottle of tri flo. (white lithium grease base) pair of leather gloves and some ratchet straps and 100' of truck rope. and a 9x12 blue tarp.
Holy chit I pack a lot of stuff in there
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom