Hj-61 project (pics ahoy!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Well, I did it, was going to buy a 12H to go into my FJ-55, but the car that came with my 12H engine just looks so damn nice I´m going to rebuild it :S ... so now I have 2 landcruiser projects :D

it had a little bump on the drivers side, killing the front axle and bending the frame, well here are the pics.

btw, it´s a 1987 HJ-61 with 180K miles on the odo and a newly rebuilt H55F. :) and is lifted for 38" tires.

the good
default.aspx

and the bad
default.aspx

and the not so ugly :)

default.aspx

can you spot rust?

default.aspx

and finally

default.aspx

Posted the above in the diesel thread but thought a project like this was more at home in here :)

Well, found me a frame off an 90 model Hj-62 which had been put on 44" tires had cable lockers, 4.88 diffs and some 20cm longer with spring suspension all around, then the poor thing burnt down :confused: .... lucky for me ;p so I bought the thing and I´m going to put my body and drivetrain in it... easy as pie :rolleyes:

and so here it is
default.aspx

before I cleaned it though, but here´s one after,
default.aspx

it´s a bit rusty, but only on the surface, nothing too bad.

hopefully more soon :)

Awesome project. I know a bunch of guys in the states would kill for those specs (and those flares). Question - if it's this stripped as is, why not media blast the frame and POR it or do some other sort of rust prevention?

Bad ass shizit!!! can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

I am going to either sandblast it or just sand it, make it all shiny :) and put some rust prevention on it. Like you said, this is the best time to make sure it´ll hold out 17 years more :grinpimp:

regarding the flares I´m going to put these on it, since I have the molds for them. only thing is I´ll probably have to stretch the rear axle a bit more to the back so they´ll fit without any hassle
default.aspx

THIS CAR IS NOT MINE, just hijacked the picture :p

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it...

What are the final specs?

Looks like a killer project... very jelouse of the cable lockers :drool:

A friend of mine was just telling me about the bad-ass Toys in Iceland. Looks like you're adding to them!

Did you say you have the molds for them? Would you be interested in firing up a few sets for some guys over here?

Is that another truck or have you since painted the 61 from the beginning of the post? You have too many / too nice trucks for me to keep track...

yes I do have the molds, and no the red toyota isn´t mine :)
I can see about making a few extra pieces :) I´ll keep you posted (mind you I live in Iceland, don´t know how shipping is for americans taxes etc.)

the specs:
12H-T
H55F
T-Case ofc.
4.88 ratios
Cable lockers (front/rear)
lifted for 44" tires

prolly forgetting something but that´s the jist of it :grinpimp:

Well, did a "little" work on the cruiser, sanded the new frame and put some rust prevention on it, will smother it in a gearloil-wax combo and then spray tectile on it (the black sticky sticky goo) for more rust prevention (we use salt on the roads during winter over here so...)

well, lifted the body off the old frame and the next thing is to hoist the motor and tranny over to the new one, will prolly do that tomorrow. :)

default.aspx

is it a bird? is it a plane? NO it´s a landcruiser!

default.aspx

and the motor :)

default.aspx

just thought I´d share :)

looks super sweet, cant wait to see how this project turns out, was the cruiser red before or is that a different one?

X2 on getting some of those fender flares.

If you look at the picture of the red cruiser you can see that there is a huge hole in the fender where the snorkel was and the one he is building has a whole fender. just a little observation.

I posted the red cruiser pic just so you could see the flares I´m going to have on mine if you want to see more pics of it here is a link for the buildup from my 4x4 club here in Iceland http://www.f4x4.is/new/photoalbum/default.aspx?file=breytingar/4189

did more work on the cruiser btw, managed to put the engine in, connect everything and this and that :) just need some new rubbers under the body and a piece of exhaust to be able to throw the body on again :)
default.aspx

engine in new frame :)

default.aspx

a bit gimpy there on the floor the poor thing :p

default.aspx

and this is how I left it sundaynight :)

Last edited:
update

well it´s time for my weekly update :)

put the egt sensor in since the body was off, went post turbo
default.aspx

well it´s kinda IN-turbo rather than post turbo :p

default.aspx

the flying cruiser gettin ready to land :)
default.aspx

and if I were in the US this would probably be the place I´d stop :p
default.aspx

but I let here settle a bit lower :)

default.aspx

here you can see how longer it is.

default.aspx

fitting the flares, this is ofc just the mold but it´ll be in this position or thereabouts.

default.aspx

I´ll have to cut a bit out of them so the doors wil open (I´d rather they do:grinpimp:) won´t be a bigie, these flares are made for cars that are 30cm longer, mine is only about 15cm (total of weelbase of 285cm)

plus I connected everything in the enginebay etc. next will be making the flares and molding them to the car :)

That is going to be one mean rig. :D

I've seen pix of some radical rigs over there. What is the terrain like? I mean, other than ice (we Americans are so ignorant)?

We have rocky mountains here. Really.

so , my ignorance speaking, but what is the benifit of extending the wheelbase? I am familiar with Iceland strictly from a geologic standpoint...which actually will have some bearing on the dimension of you cruiser. Sweet project

we mainly mod our cars to drive in snow (well actually ON the snow) and a longer wheelbase gives a better ride, plus we want more weight on the front wheels than the rear (some 60\40 distribution), you can see why if you imagine a rear heavy jeep driving upphill, it would just dig the rearwheels in.

the 60 series cruiser is prone to sitting on it´s ass in snow when fully loaded :) I have seen them with over 3m (9.8 feet) wheelbase. and most are sitting on 44" tires for float.

rockcrawling and such is pretty much unheard of over here, plus if you were to go offroad in the summer, you´d get shot ;p. In winter we don´t have that problem :) can drive all over the place. but we ofc have mountainroads that can get a bit hairy, with big rivers to cross etc. but the main season is dec-may.

I´ll throw in a cool album that just came up on the local 4x4 club, these are not mine nor do I know these guys. :)http://www.f4x4.is/new/photoalbum/default.aspx?file=ferdamyndir/5244

also you could just browse through the whole thing, it´s in icelandic but the pics speak for themselfs :)
(næsta means next) :grinpimp:
http://www.f4x4.is/new/photoalbum/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom