Transmission Removal - What a pain!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pathfinder

I am the STIG
Threads
I am in the progress of removing my transmission and transfercase so I can replace my clutch and rear main seal. I've followed the FSM procedure and have my transmission support out. I have three of the four bolts out and removed and I cannot get the forth out. It is the top passenger side bolt. I cannot get a socket wrench on it so I can get some leverage. I'ved tried my box wrench and no dice. Every thing is jacked and supported yet this one bolt has become the bane of my existance. Any suggestions as to how to get this bolt out will save my from pulling my hair out!!!!

Thanks

Its like my transmission is saying ":flipoff2: I like the old worn out orginal clutch!"

If the nut is rounded, you might need to cut it off. I just went through this and tapped the socket on with a hammer and used a rachet and prybar to back it off. The bolt broke anyway- but redrilling a bigger hole is no bid deal. In fact just having 3 of the 4 bolts is probably not the end of the world- my HJ has been like that forever. Heat the nut, and let some penerating oil sink in there.

The bolt is not rounded off I cannot get enough leverage to get the bolt to turn. Urrrgggg!

Easier access if you leave the bellhousing bolted on and pull the tranny/transfer...then go after that bolt.

You think your having fun now...wait till you put her back in

Good luck

how does the bellhousing come off if I leave it attached?

I have a long extension 1/2" drive, I could go look if needed, but it was long enough to go to the back of the transfer and either use air or a long ratchet.

Impact wrenches help get difficult things started. Extensions are expensive, but make things go pretty quick. Sounds like it may just break off.

how does the bellhousing come off if I leave it attached?

We left the bellhousing attached to the motor the whole time when we did mine. I was able to get a socket on all of the four bolts, though I did have to use a pipe for extra leverage where the impact couldn't reach.

X2 on the removal being easier. Gravity seems to make up for the tight clearances!

transmission removal

Sounds like the bolt you're talking about is the upper passenger side that holds the transmission to the bellhousing, right? I assume you've removed the boots around the transmission and transfer case shifters, right? I recommend removing the transfer shift linkage- not too difficult, disconnect it at the transfer case lo/neutral/hi arm, then unscrew the large pivot bolt from the passenger side of the transmission. Once the transfer case shift linkage is out of the way it's not too difficult to get a socket, extension, and ratchet/breaker bar on it to get it loose. Once it's broke loose a flex socket on an extension should easily walk it out.

I've installed clutches and transmission in lots of land cruisers, and have disassembled many others to sell for parts and I've never seen one of the transmission to bellhousing bolts broken. These are 12MM diameter (takes a 17MM socket) fine thread bolts and are very strong.

I've found that transmission/transfer case removal and re-installation is more difficult in the 60 series than in either the 40 or 55 series. For 40's and 55's in run a 2x4 through the windows, hang a chain fall from it, and lower/raise the transmission/transfer case using the chain fall. Safe and makes it easy to be patient when aligning the unit for installation. On a 60 series I can't do it that way because the windsiled rakes back a bit and the access hole is more under the dash than in the 40/55 series. Installing a clutch in a 60 ain't fun, period. Be sure to replace the pilot bearing, too, or you'll be sorry. Shmukster (Gary S)

Sounds like I just need to have a go at it again. All the linkage is removed and the one thing that stands in the way is that one bolt. I will give it a go tommorrow evening and hopefully I can put this all behind me. Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to replace the pilot bearing, slave and master cylinders and rear main seal. So this cruiser will be good for another 187k miles. :)

I have a long extension 1/2" drive, I could go look if needed, but it was long enough to go to the back of the transfer and either use air or a long ratchet.

X2 on the long 1/2" extension. I have one (or maybe it's two connected together) that is long enough to reach from behind the transfer case. It makes getting to all those four bolts much easier.

Euclid, I did the same thing and got mine to break loose. Hopefully thursday evening I will get the bell housing off and the new clutch, rear main, throwout bearing all replaced and get my hog back on the road! I am also over the weekend going to replace both the slave and masters hopefully this will not be too big of a job. Thanks for the advice

I've got the tranny away and ready to move on. I've read that the bell housing on a 2f does not have to be removed is that correct?

I've got the tranny away and ready to move on. I've read that the bell housing on a 2f does not have to be removed is that correct?

For the clutch job, we left the bell housing in place. You have to work around it some when installing the clutch assembly. I did that part working alone, in about 30 minutes.

Euclid and I did this on my truck over Christmas. We linked together 3 or 4 1/2" extensions and ran it between over the top of the transmission and turned it with a big breaker bar. It broke after a few tries. Job done.

This is what I did, except it came out easily. In fact, I didn't even think about it at the time. I had the linkage completely out though, which improves access. WIth air tools it would be even easier.

This is what I did, except it came out easily. In fact, I didn't even think about it at the time. I had the linkage completely out though, which improves access. WIth air tools it would be even easier.[/QUO

Not to hijack or anything but I thought it wasn't good to use air tools with extensions. Opinions?

Not to hijack or anything but I thought it wasn't good to use air tools with extensions. Opinions?

No opinion, but I did not have air tools at the time-they are a new addition in the last 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom