Help Removing Cam Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally getting back around to working on my FJ40. Life sort of got complicated.

Anyway, somehow I was convinced to replace my cam plug while I had everything else apart (it looks like it's leaking, though that may be from the rear main seal which I'm replacing also) so I started at it. I tried using the sheet-metal screw trick where you're supposed to punch a small hole in the plug and drill the screw into it so the cam plug follows the threads out, but the screw just kept drilling deeper and deeper without the cam plug coming out. So I tried punching a big enough hole in the plug to get a screwdriver in to pry it out. I've broken two screw drivers trying that, and probably punched the hole deep enough that the cam has a hole in the end. Now I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get this thing out! My god what have I done???

Any suggestions other than tearing the engine apart and pushing it out from behind? Anyone in the Auburn, WA area interested in coming over and helping me out (free beer of your choice :))?

Here's a pic of the cam plug:
stuckcamplug9so.jpg

Martian, if that pic is your current situation, you have not used a big enough screwdriver(that won't break). Make your slot larger, drive in a larger blade screwdriver and pry that prick out!
You're on the right track.:)

Ed

Do you have a crowbar? I'd make that hole wider and use a crowbar or something strong enough to pry it out.

Well, I was finally able to put some more time in on my LC and was able to pull out the plug:

0211071106tu5.jpg

I'm afraid of the damage I've done on the end of the cam. When cutting into the plug I went too far. Do I now need to replace the cam? Will this cause problems down the road? Am I being too paranoid?

0211071105xv1.jpg

I don't think you hurt anything.

GL

Ed

If it's just the marring to the end of the cam that you are worried about... Don't be. ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom