Problems with front ARB Install Help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Threads
Website
www.arb-digital.com
Guys,

I took my rig to a local shop to have my front ARB installed. They are a big outfit in town.
When I got my rig back I noticed that the ARB air line fitting was on the lower part of the diff housing. When I told them that I though that install was wrong, they said that is the only way ARB recommends installed. I've been going back and forth with them about this. They will not warrant the ARB air line fittings installation anywhere else on the diff. They claim that installing it anywhere else will eventually cause an air leak or even worse, the 3rd member being destroyed by the copper tubing.

Here is are pics of the install on my rig.

http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb/PhotoAlbum69.html

I want to prove this guys wrong. My question to you is: If you have a front ARB locker, where do you have your air line fitting on your front diff? How long have you had it? Could you send me a pic?

I would really appreciate your help in this issue.

Regards

Alvaro

--------------------------------------------------
Alvaro Rodríguez
96 FZJ80 "La Cabra" with questionable ARB front locker install.
TCLA #12833
Sacramento, CA
web: http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb
e-mail: alvarorb@mac.com

I'd try calling ARB USA directly in Seattle. They have a somewhat helpful tech department that should be able to help you. If that fails call Christo. Best of luck!

I would guess the 'ARB won't warrenty the work' would be because the inner metal tube would be longer to get to the actual actuator part. However, I have never heard of anyone mounting the tube where yours in mounted, not in any Jxxp, or Rover or any other Toy.

I can definetly see why you'd want to have yours in a different spot, that is a horrible spot to put it in, could get broken very easily. Now however you have the hole there, so not sure what you'd do to fill it, maybe tap it and screw in a threaded plug...

I think the guy that did yours was just lazy and or didn't know what they were doing. They probably had the 3rd member out on the bench and didn't realize it was a high-pinion, so they thought they WERE putting it in the top of the 3rd member, then they install it in the vehicle and are like damn. My guess atleast...

Mines on top...

I'd call ARB personally. 206-264-1669

The guy doing it think its just a regular diff not a high pinion diff. They mount it right if the ARB manual that came with it are generic manual. ARB should send different manual for High Pinion diff set up. I would bitch to ARB and recommend them to take the installer off their recommended list.

I also guess the guy doing the diff set up are different than the guy taking the diff off from the truck, otherwise they would realize the high pinion set up.

Dude, that totally sucks big time. Definitely ring up ARB and get the shop to remedy this asap. Heck, I'd make them replace your diff housing tool. Would they just run the exhaust up through the hood with some zoomies if you asked them do exhaust work? After all, it would be a shorter run - it's the same scenario. These guys (the guys that installed it) are frickin clueless.

It could be that the tech removed both 3rd members and put them on the bench. Then proceeded to drill the holes on the same spot on both. Unfortunately, one is upside down!

I have my front 3rd out as we speak and took it to River City Differentials and spoke to him about Alvaro's problem. When he heard that "the other guys" put the bulkhead fitting on the bottom, he laughed and said that was completely wrong. He pointed on my diff where it goes and its on the top just above and in front of the pinion head. He also said he could fix Alvaro's set-up by putting the fitting in the proper place and welding over the hole in the bottom portion of the diff. That sounds like a good solution. I gess the moral of Alvaro's story is to have a clear understanding of where the airline fitting will be if you have an airlocker installed in the front diff. By the way-if you live in Northern California-Sean at River City seems like a straight-up guy and is a Toyota gear head to boot. By tomorrow afternoon, I'll be styling the 4.88's. I think I'll start another tire thread.....

Good Fing God....

Alvaro-

Talk to Tim in tech at ARB 888 427 2872, very helpful person.

That shop must fix this issue, plain and simple...no one in Sac. or that area is Land Cruiser specific?

Post up how things work out.

Good luck!

-Steve

Here is a pic of mine installed. I've never posed a pic before so if it doesn't work, too bad.

Alvaro,

The shop might need another copper air line from ARB if the current line is cut too short inside the diff. Don't let them simply extend the current 3/16" copper line by using compression fittings and another short length of 3/16" line. This will work but over time the union may leak.

Ali

[quote author=lagwagon link=board=2;threadid=13598;start=msg127162#msg127162 date=1080264884]
Sean at River City is the man.
[/quote]

LOL, based on this thread, I don't think I'd call anyone there "the man".

Sounds like the place should be avoided like the plague.

Junk-Alvaro went to West Coast Differentials, you should avoid them like the plague. They also tried to sell Alvaro the wrong O rings etc. Sean "the man" is at River City Differentials. He is the owner, a great guy, does great work, lets you watch, makes helpful suggestions etc. I went to River City as did several of my friends, all very happy with Sean's work. In fact, Sean went over to West Coast (it's half a mile away) and gave them a ration of sh*t over the work they did on Alvaro's diff. I was there and saw it happen and it was a priceless moment. I believe West Coast has agreed to fix Alvaro's junk. So if you want diff work, and live within 2 hours of Sacramento, Sean at River City Differentials is "the man". Do not listen to Junk on this topic.

Just for reference, I have had the differentials of 2 trucks serviced at River City Diffs I'm not talking out of my rear end.

Problems with front ARB Install Help needed. Problem Solved

Guys,

Tuesday last week, I had an ARB front locker installed by West Coast Differentials in Sacramento, CA.
When I got my rig back later that day, I noticed that the air fitting for the front locker was placed at the bottom of the 3rd member housing.
Looking for help and information, I posted an e-mail on this list since this looked wrong to me.
Many of you responded with e-mails and pictures. Pictures from the outside as well as the inside of the front diff. I went back to West Coast Differentials and to ARB, armed with the information I gathered from you and asked them to do it like I felt it was right. After going back and forth a bit, West Coast agreed.
Yesterday they redid the air fitting installation, it looks real nice. I want to thanks all those who responded to my plea. I also want to thank Tim at ARB and Dan at West Coast Differentials for their understanding.

Regards and see you on the trail.

Alvaro

--------------------------------------------------
Alvaro Rodríguez
96 FZJ80 "La Cabra" Fully Locked!
TCLA #12833
Sacramento, CA
web: http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb
e-mail: alvarorb@mac.com

Also did you try checking the loose nut behind the wheel? I hear that might also be part of the culprit. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom