Ride way too harsh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I had the old man emu springs put on my 71 FJ40 (removed some rancho springs) and it actually seems to me that it rides harsher than it did before. The reason I spent the $$$ for these springs was for a better ride. Now I know this isn't some luxury sedan but it is pretty bad. I have some Rancho 9000 on there that are about 7 years old but I would suppose if shocks go bad the ride would get softer. The shocks are set on #2 but I tried #1 and #4 and doesn't help.

The only thing I can think of is over tightened shackles. Is that possible? If so what is the standard procedure for adjusting the bolts on the shackles? Any other ideas on anything else to look at?

Thanks, Scott

I never have used OME leafs, but I have used OME coils. They are stiff, and they are supposed to be. Personally, I was never thrilled with OME.

Good ideas to check tightness all around, etc..good luck.

Yes you can over tighten the shackle pins. Too tight=no flex = a hard ride. Most shackle pins have a steel lock nut. It doesn't need to be crunch the shackle tight. Could also be the ranchos were way worn? What lift did you have with the ranchos? The OME may just need to break in.

Yes you can over tighten the shackle pins. Too tight=no flex = a hard ride. Most shackle pins have a steel lock nut. It doesn't need to be crunch the shackle tight. Could also be the ranchos were way worn? What lift did you have with the ranchos? The OME may just need to break in.

I suppose it is possible the old Ranchos were worn. Kinda like shocks, you don't know you need new ones until you replace them.

I know most everyone here says OME has the best ride so I believe it. The Ranchos I has are supposed to be one of the harshest rides out there.

I replaced 2.5" Ranchos with 2.5" OME. If it matters, I also have a shackle reversal done serveral years ago.

Thanks, Scott

Overtightened shackles
Over inflated tires
To stiff of a shock
And springs not broken in (my Skyjackers took a trip through the Rubicon trail to feel broken in)

All of the above will make a ride feel stiff.
Dave

OME is over rated period.............

I have OME springs on one, HFS springs on another, and Black Diamond on the third (actually the first). My BJ40 with OME suspension rides every bit as good as my wife's Subaru outback wagon.

The OME springs give the best ride hands down.

The HFS are good too, but it took some loose shocks to let them move. I don't drive that one on highways (it's not even registered) and if I did I'd probably buy some Bilstein shocks for it. they're the best, hands down.

Too tight bushings will definitely screw up any suspension - torque them to only 50 lbs with locknuts and trust the locknuts to keep them together.

Rancho shocks are no good for cruisers IMO. The 5000's are like rock, and the 9000 only a little better on their lowest setting.

If you want a good ride and a flexible suspension you've got to let it move

Check to make sure your shackles do not ONE BIT bite into the bushing. They should BARELY touch. Also put some weight additional where you can and go flex the crap out of it for hours at a time. It helped and did wonders.

Post pics of your shackles from front and the from side.

Here's some picts. Remember, I had the shackle reversal and the shackles on the prior suspension so I don't think it can be the problem (although it might be over tightened).

Thanks, Scott
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG

Some more
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

Scott,
Most likely the Rancho shocks are the issue. The OME springs are typically paired with their shocks. I ran a set of OME springs and shocks on a 60 and it rode exceptionally well. I have also experienced various Rancho shocks, both 5000's and 9000's and found them to be very stiff with corresponding lousy ride. The best way to get the ride quality out of the OME's is to use them with OME shocks. Hope that helps.

Rich

Hi All:

I've been using an OME suspension on my FJ40 since 1998, so I am somewhat familiar with their characteristics.

Yes, OME springs have shocks designed to match, for both valving (handling and ride quality) and wheel travel. Since you have a shackle reversal upfront, I'm not sure which OME shocks would be best for that application.

From the photos you posted, it seems that the rear shackle angle is nearly vertical, which could be part of your problem. Does your FJ40 run a hard top or soft top?

Since on my rig I run a soft top or no top at all, I removed a leaf from each rear OME pack so that the shackle angle is closer to 45 degrees. The ride quality is decent, for a swb 4X4, and the wheel travel is good as well.

Regards,

Alan

Who did you buy these OME springs from? An knowledgeable OME dealer, or some super discount vender?

your shackles are straight up and down. IMO that is the biggest issue. Put some stockers on there and ditch the 9000 for some es300 pro comp shocks or better yet some bilstein 5125's. The shackles look a little tight but not horrible. I found Alcans to be a softer ride and they break in after 2 or 3 trips and are much softer than the first time out. And get some shackles if not stockers without that dumbass cross bar in them. They prevent the spring for twisting and that prevents flex. The thing prolly corners real nice tho.

your shackles are straight up and down. IMO that is the biggest issue. Put some stockers on there and ditch the 9000 for some es300 pro comp shocks or better yet some bilstein 5125's. The shackles look a little tight but not horrible. I found Alcans to be a softer ride and they break in after 2 or 3 trips and are much softer than the first time out. And get some shackles if not stockers without that dumbass cross bar in them. They prevent the spring for twisting and that prevents flex. The thing prolly corners real nice tho.

When you say "Stockers" do you mean stock shackles? Won't that change the ride height?

Perhaps I ought to get some OME shocks to go with the OME springs.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Hi All:

I've been using an OME suspension on my FJ40 since 1998, so I am somewhat familiar with their characteristics.

Yes, OME springs have shocks designed to match, for both valving (handling and ride quality) and wheel travel. Since you have a shackle reversal upfront, I'm not sure which OME shocks would be best for that application.

From the photos you posted, it seems that the rear shackle angle is nearly vertical, which could be part of your problem. Does your FJ40 run a hard top or soft top?

Since on my rig I run a soft top or no top at all, I removed a leaf from each rear OME pack so that the shackle angle is closer to 45 degrees. The ride quality is decent, for a swb 4X4, and the wheel travel is good as well.

Regards,

Alan

Who did you buy these OME springs from? An knowledgeable OME dealer, or some super discount vender?

I'm running a soft top or no top at all. Don't know if I want or have the time to take a leaf out.

I bought and had the suspension put in at Mudrak in Sonoma, CA.

Thanks, Scott

Ok, if you notice in the last picture the shackles don't have a center brace in them AND the nuts are not self-locking but rather a regular nut with a lock nut. Obviously these are tightened way down or else the nut would come off.

I'm I wrong or shouldn't ALL the nuts on ALL the shackles be self-lockers that are not tightened down all the way?

Thanks, Scott

Ok, if you notice in the last picture the shackles don't have a center brace in them AND the nuts are not self-locking but rather a regular nut with a lock nut. Obviously these are tightened way down or else the nut would come off.

I'm I wrong or shouldn't ALL the nuts on ALL the shackles be self-lockers that are not tightened down all the way?

Thanks, Scott

Anyone? Shouldn't I have lock nuts on all shackle bolts and those nuts NOT tightened down all the way?

Thanks, Scott

first thing, when were all the nuts and bolts tightened?
all suspension hardware should be tightened with the rig at rest, meaning all the weight of the rig on the suspension,not on jack stands.

you should have no compression on the bushings, you plates should just come in contact with them.

as far as lock nuts, you will want them or a lock washer on the nut. the bolt should nut rotate in the plate or bushings.

hope that helps :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom