Are we tired of all these tall tire posts yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All of these tire posts got me itching for something taller.

I have been happy w/my 33x10.5s, but after the 2F upgrade...I have been interested in possibly running something taller.

I don't want to redo my suspension, so that would be my limiting factor.

Dustin (rockzar) let me borrow a spare 35" MTR, and since I wanted to rotate my tires anyway :D

rear:

sm-DSC00739.jpg

sm-DSC00740.jpg

side:

sm-DSC00741.jpg

sm-DSC00746.jpg

front:
sm-DSC00749.jpg

sm-DSC00750.jpg

Let me know if you plan on selling those 33" bfg's. I'm running 35x12.5.15 bfg muds now with ome dakar springs and jto oversized shackles ( I think 2" over stock shackles). I will need to cut my fender just forward of the rear tire before I wheel it. There is barely any room to flex. I'm thinking of downsizing the tires so I don't have to cut any metal. The truck us on paved road 98% of the time anyway, so the 35"s don't do much.

Tires are like a man's penis size.

A man thinks bigger is better, but when your actually use it on the grassy trail, the bigger one usually hurts the manicured side walls and the pink crevice. My wife's words not mine.

BTW, I'll be running 35" x 12.5", despite my penis size. Just want to be bigger.

It would have been nice to have two 35s for this pic :D

sm-DSC00753.jpg

Since I don't drive my truck every day, I am currently leaning towards 34x10.5 LTBs on stockers...

lift is around 3"

Tires are like a man's penis size.

A man thinks bigger is better, but when your actually use it on the grassy trail, the bigger one usually hurts the manicured side walls and the pink crevice. My wife's words not mine.

BTW, I'll be running 35" x 12.5", despite my penis size. Just want to be bigger.

TMI

but i agree with bigger the better im going to run 37

In case anyone was wondering, black wheels pictured above are 15x8 with 3.5 backspace...

I just had 34s on my truck on a 2.5" lift and it was okay but now that I have mtrs on I'm amazed at how quiet and smooth riding in my cruiser can be. I'd try to get 35's on there but maybe have less backspacing on the rims to get the tires out a little bit and protect the body when leaning over towards rocks.

The bigger the tire the smaller the obstacle (rock, crevice, ledge etc) is in comparison. I'd like to go bigger but realize I'm at the limits of my running gear with the tires I run now. To run bigger would cost way too much time and money and just aint worth considering how well the truck does at the moment. Never gone more than two years without a major rebuild of the rig...pushing 5 now on this major remodel.

In regards to the first post. You may need to run spacers (rubbage on inside of rear fenderwells when stuffing the tires when articulated.
You may want to consider cutting out the rear and bottom out of the 5"x3" body crossmember thingy that is in the front of the rear fender well. I had to replace the whole thing with angle iron several years ago.
In addition consider redrilling your spring perch so you can move the rear end back one inch. Hope your slip yoke is long enough to allow this.
Spacers for the front so you still can turn lock to lock. You will get rubbage on the front fenders...you can ignore it, body lift, or cut em out (or shave your fender apron to give a mini body lift to just the fender.

OR you can ignore all I said and do like a friend of mine did. He had only a 4" lift that was a bit saggy and he ran 35" mtrs. Just ignored the rubbage. They performed well.

Here are pics of my FJ40 with 12.50x33 tires before I lifted the rear. The tires rubbed the (stock) wheel well opening when I made hard corners, especially with a load of kids in the back.

71FJ40-2.jpg

And here are some shots of it with 3" lift shackles on the rear.

FJ40-topless.jpg

FJ40-w-top.jpg

They rarely rub now.

Note that the springs are 2.5" lift springs (Rancho).

Also, I have not added lift shackles to the front. I'm not planning on it until I get a winch installed, so I can factor in the weight.

BTW, the back raises less than an inch when the top is removed.

Manny- you wont have any more uptravel rubbing issues than anyone else whos running 35's. if they rub too much, put bigger bump stops on. My 37's rub, but so did my od 33's. You will just have less uptravel..

I would either sell those 33's while they are still worth something, or run them bald. If youre not changing out your suspension for something you can run shackles shorter than 16" :flipoff2: , I would keep running 33's. I think the 35's look a little big, though they still look like they would work. THough that 35 has about 50% tred left so is a little smaller than new- though compared to other tires, MTR's are more true to a 35 than other brands.

oh yea. I rebalanced the front tires and the death wobble is gone. I still need to put the dynabeads in the rears to get rid of the vibrations back there. When youre done rotating your tires, you can swing out and spend a couple hours with me pouring these damn beads in the valve stems. I might just say F it and take the tires to the shop and get the led weights put on them. It takes so damn long to get the beads in the tires.

-Dustin

Last edited:
Mr Manny I have to say I love your cruiser. It looks great. I actually prefer the look of the skinny 33's on it though. Has a more classic look, plus no power steering. You must have battleships for biceps.

Anyway just wanted to say that the rigs look great.

Those are 33X10.5 not 33X9.5 ? Do they fit inside the body (rear)? I'm looking at 33's and I'm wondering if 10.5 will fit inside the rear body with stock wheels.

Joanne asked me last night, why I was looking at tires (on-line)...I told her, "there too short".

I know I'm not alone when I say "the temptation of going taller is simply a part of owning an fj" :D

After thinking about it some more (and reading your comments/Ideas), I'm going to stick w/the pizza-cutters for now.
Your Input is appreciated,
manny

wdFJ40,
33x10.5R15 on stockers w/3" lift = Some rubbing on the inside wheel-wells when flexed...but other then that, no problems.

Dustin,
Glad you got the front fixed...maybe we could fit a Cameron's run into rear tire balancing session?

hey manny.
i think your rig is really well proportioned the way it sits. if you put taller tires on it you're gonna be doing a whole lot more work to it.
ask me, you need to leave this one alone and build yourself a seperate rubicon rig.....:grinpimp:

Since I don't drive my truck every day, I am currently leaning towards 34x10.5 LTBs on stockers...

lift is around 3"

like these? 4 inch HFS with 2.5 inch shackles, I can not see any of the pics on this page for some reason, but figured I would post these up for your viewing pleasure.

Jon
1.jpg
2.jpg

you have any pics of the clearance in the front and rear wheel wells, looking for a new set of wheels to fit 32 x 11.5's

That's what I run on my 40, sutes me just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom