rear discs brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Soo im looking into changing over to rear disc brakes because my drums suck. I do not feel like spending too much money and was thinking about going with the jt outfitters standard kit which costs $399. http://jtoutfitters.com/product/RDBKITTLCE80

What i really want to know is is this a good deal? Are there cheaper/better alternatives? and does the jt kits calipers have some sort of parking brake(i still want a parking brake :rolleyes:)?

I built a kit for my 40 using Sky manufacturings disks, which are allreads drilled out, and Proffitts brackets. I think the disks were 100 bucks and the brackets 40. You can get monte calipers and autozone for 30 bucks each and all thats left is a couple pads, hoses, and a prop valve. it'll be under 300 hopefully. Check what JT provides in his kit.
You will probably want to add a line lock for 60 series aplications
PMK

www.4wheelauto.com has a special on this month for the complete rear disk set up. they are charging 500 canadian w/out proportioning valve.

can i use my stock prop valve?
whats a line lock?
what about my parking break?

I can answer two ?'s. The line lock is a park type brake. It's an electric selenoid that goes in the brake line and holds preasure in the line without lighting your brake lights.

just got done doing my 7640 calipers 30 bucks from local junkyard brackets form proffitts 40 bucks for a pair, good value and good quality, roters 25bucks a piece, 20 bucks for milling, all i did for my brake lines is cut off metric fitting from hard line on both ends replaced it with inch fitting re flaired the hard line on both ends. my caliprs both had good soft lines attached so it worked good, hooked up my proportionig valve bled m out and there ya have it .......... cheep easy and best of all brakes that work.

good luck and have fun
wheelie

I bought my conversion rotors from JT Outfitters. They were supposed to have been machined in the middle, but were not. I faxed JTO a letter with the problem requesting they call or email me back with a solution. They didn't. I called them and was promised a call back with a solution. They didn't. Bottom line, I will never do business with them again. Get your parts from somebody else.

[quote author=pappy link=board=1;threadid=13297;start=msg123324#msg123324 date=1079637945]
I bought my conversion rotors from JT Outfitters. They were supposed to have been machined in the middle, but were not. I faxed JTO a letter with the problem requesting they call or email me back with a solution. They didn't. I called them and was promised a call back with a solution. They didn't. Bottom line, I will never do business with them again. Get your parts from somebody else.

[/quote]

i heard someone else have the same complaint about jt's rotors, this is of course a reposted topic and maybe i was just reading yours from the last post. i have bought some stuff from them without a hitch, but you never know s*** happens. hang out here long enough and your liable to here complaints about every lc supplier out there. not saying your right or wrong, just my .02.

what do you think of the calipers with a parking brake all ready on them and skipping the line lock? too expensive?

i found them on http://tsmmfg.com/3110.htm I believe they are generally found on el-dorados

whats the word on these?

i did this conversion on my 40 about a year ago, i got the rotors and 4 wheel disc brake master and brackets from JT outfitters (no problems) and the rear stainless lines from TSM and the front stainless brake lines and the stainless lines from frame to axle from man-a-fre, i got an 82 cady eldorodo from my brother in law and took what i wanted and called the wrecking yard to take the rest. anyway the caddy calipers work good but are a PITA to get adjusted, you have to take your factory e-brake cable and cut the end off and strip the housing off so the bare cable is exposed and use the factory caddy cables and cut the lenghts to fit and strip them and you have to attach all the cables together useing cable clamps (or have custom built) and getting them ajusted right takes a buddy or two. if i was doing it again i would have to just rebuild and speedy sleeve my factory e-brake good luck!! OH and i did not use a proportioning valve and it stops straight even in wet weather.

Only problem I've read about calipers w/ build in e-brake is that they are the floating type. I deal with a lot of mud up here in AK, it can clog up and make the brakes not function very well.

For the parking brake, I'm thinking of getting the oem t'case drum brake. For rotors, I'll probably go with 60 series rotors and 89-95 mini/4runner calipers all around. Then either the T100 master cylinder or the FZJ80 non-ABS m/c. Probably either have my rear FF hub machined to except the 60 rotors or just have the rotor machined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom