Lock out 101 (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
First the washer you asked about Alan:

This is the washer that Warn supplies with their lock outs to work with 01/79 and later, shorter outer fing birfs.
Washer02.jpg
Washer01.jpg

Warn lock outs....
DLO01.jpg
Disclo01.jpg

Aisin lockouts:
ALO01.jpg
Alo02.jpg

Those washers were also supplied with the Aisin hubs when used with the short hub and longer fine spline birfield during the changeover to the shorter birfields.

There are both long and short Aisin hub bodies... as pictured above in the prev posting.

~John

Last edited:
Those washers were also supplied with the Aisin hubs when used with the short hub and longer fine spline birfield during the changeover to the shorter birfields.

There are both long and short Aisin hub bodies... as pictured above in the prev posting.

~John

Short lock out body(is this what you are calling a 'hub'?) and long fing birf?

How does that work? The longer fing birf will stick out through the drive gear in the lockout body, and not even be close to allowing the snap ring to work, or the washer for that matter...

A shorter outer fing birf with either the longer body OEM lock outs, or the Warn units.....or the later...(read FJ62)...I have seen them with the bolt and washer, but again, they are the short outer fing birf and the short body lock out...

:beer:

Hi All:

Steve, how does that washer work? Does it simply friction fit inside the hub body to engage the lockout/lockin mechanism?

What is most important when shopping for these washers - the outside diameter, the thickness, is the "step" on the edge important or ??

Thanks, as always, for your assistance! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

The idea of the washer is to do what the snap ring did; hold the axle out against the lock out drive gear inside the lock out body.

The bolt threads into the outer end of the axle, pulling the axle out towards the washer, which is resting against the drive gear. The diameter of the washer needs to be at least the diameter of the drive gear in the lock out, but cannot be too much larger so that it will not interfere with the locking gear on the dial mechanism.

Great stuff, But I gotta ask how much did that snap-on ruler cost you....If you dont mind me asking :)

I think when you have 20+ feet of rolling SnapOn cabinets.......they give you a ruler;)

s***, the tires on his cabinets are larger than the ones on my '40!....almost:D

Ed

Hi All:

So Steve, does one tighten the bolt down as far as possible onto the end of the axle shaft, to hold the washer in place on the end of the 'shaft?

I don't want to assume too much! :eek:

Thanks much!

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The idea of the washer is to do what the snap ring did; hold the axle out against the lock out drive gear inside the lock out body.

>The bolt threads into the outer end of the axle, pulling the axle out towards the washer, which is resting against the drive gear. The diameter of the washer needs to be at least the diameter of the drive gear in the lock out, but cannot be too much larger so that it will not interfere with the locking gear on the dial mechanism.

Hi All:

So Steve, does one tighten the bolt down as far as possible onto the end of the axle shaft, to hold the washer in place on the end of the 'shaft?

I don't want to assume too much! :eek:

Thanks much!

Alan

Yep, and you use a short 8x1.25...12mm iirc....and I blue locktite them in place.

Hi All:

Steve, I was able to "borrow" a new set of Warn lock-outs to be able to see the extra bits for the 1979 and up rigs.

I've got the short M8s, and the blue Locktite. I bought a pair of "extra thick" fender washers that are almost exactly the same exterior diameter as the "stepped" fender washer that Warn supplies; will this work alright?

Thanks again!

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, and you use a short 8x1.25...12mm iirc....and I blue locktite them in place.

thanks

i love this place im going thru the same thing and Steve found my post and sent me here THANKS STEVE , im back to being happy and on my way to the harware store , alan hows your rebuild going , i have decided to do twin sticks on my xfer case they should be here tommrow ,see ya guys soon Thanks agian.

Robb

Hi All:

Thanks "Pablo!" Where the h*ll did you find that Pampers box?!? :lol:

So, of the Aisen lock-outs, what is the difference between the "tall" and "short" models (besides the obvious!)? Are the "short" Aisen hubs the ones used on the solid front axle Hilux & TLC?

Thanks!

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a couple of pictures showing how far various lockouts/hubs stick out...

Pictured (from L to R): Warn, Selectro, long body ASCO, regular body Aisin

So, of the Aisen lock-outs, what is the difference between the "tall" and "short" models (besides the obvious!)? Are the "short" Aisen hubs the ones used on the solid front axle Hilux & TLC?

The long body would have been used from 08/75 to 12/78 on the 40/55 in the USA...

The shorter body was used on 01/79 and later Land Cruisers and solid axle mini trucks...

Were those selectro lockouts part of a dealer package, like Warn or were they aftermarket. I have a set on my rig(74 FJ40) and have not heard much about them. You don't see much by way of rebuild kits, etc.

I have a set of the Warn hubs on my 73 FJ40 that I just purchased. I am trying to figure out what is stock and what is not on my rig. Did the Aisen hubs come from the factory or could my Warn hubs be origional?

Also sorry if I am hi-jacking the thread, but which of the two IYO are the better of the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom