Room for both? (York OBA and 2nd battery) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still gathering parts for my York OBA install, but I also want to add a second battery. It looks like things will get pretty crowded in there.

Anyone running both and have pics?

I'm gathering parts for the second battery now. It looks like there is plenty of room when comparing the battery box from the drivers side.

I'm gathering parts for the second battery now. It looks like there is plenty of room when comparing the battery box from the drivers side.

Well, I guess either you or me will be the first to know.

As you say, just looking at it...it appears it will fit. I was just curious how crowded it might get. If you finish before me...post pics when you get a chance.

I got my 7 gal air tank mounted today above the spare tire, it was tight....but it only interfered with the tire about 1/2". Gonna order my York mounting kit next week, I already have everything else.

Thanks for all the work you put into fabbing this.

I just assisted Iverness with his York and he has dual batteries and it fits fine. He's relocated his washer bottle tank like the Slee relocation brackets do and there was plenty of room and the install looked very clean. The pulley was a bit close to the battery tray box but not close enough to ever come in contact. No pics either as his truck is stealth...;)

Thank You, gentlemen......looks like we're good to go.

Ali's bracket is custom, and much tighter to the engine than the FB Fab bracket.. I picked mine up from Slee's yesterday, got it bolted on today and set the compressor in there just for a sec to see... it's dang tight. It's not impossible, first thing is I have to relocate my ground cable & fuse for the battery, nbd. Then see how much clearance there is with the pulley once I get it all hooked up and tight. Just sitting in there, it's resting against the second tray.

Worst case I may need to "romer" my battery tray, hope not. Ran out of weekend today though, will ponder again hopefully next weekend.
york_dual2.jpg
york_dual3.jpg
york_dual1.jpg

Yeah, thats pretty tight.

Looks like you have the 7" pulley, mine is 6"...so I get another 1/2" clearance (but the belt supplied with the kit probably won't fit).

I'd like to see a hole in the mounting plate where the 1/8" pipe plug on the compressor is (toward engine). This would accommodate a fitting for those who are going to "recycle" the oil from the compressor. No big deal, I'll just drill one and be done with it.

Thanks for posting pics of yours, let us know how it turns out...and any tips you can offer.

Yeah, thats pretty tight.

Looks like you have the 7" pulley, mine is 6"...so I get another 1/2" clearance (but the belt supplied with the kit probably won't fit).

I'd like to see a hole in the mounting plate where the 1/8" pipe plug on the compressor is (toward engine). This would accommodate a fitting for those who are going to "recycle" the oil from the compressor. No big deal, I'll just drill one and be done with it.

Thanks for posting pics of yours, let us know how it turns out...and any tips you can offer.

Flint, the belts come from Advance Auto Parts. I bet they would trade you for the one you need. Good idea one the hole for the oiler.

Flint, the belts come from Advance Auto Parts. I bet they would trade you for the one you need. Good idea one the hole for the oiler.

Yup, belt is no problem...I'm sure they would exchange it.

Besides, there is no way anyone can carry all of the different belt sizes for every pulley (there were quite a few different sizes).

Apparently the 7" and 6" pulley were the most common though.

I plan on running a tensioner anyway...so the extra inch will probably work just fine.

I will be interested to see how much oil is discharged from the case. From what I've read its not exactly a "gusher" but does require that you check the oil level from time to time.

I plan on using the fill hole on the engine/bracket side to recycle the oil, and the fill hole on the other side to check the oil level with a dipstick.

It will be well worth whatever effort it takes to make this work.

Thanks for your help.

Wow, that's a very tight tolerance! Mine is indeed a little closer to the head/block area. I've since added a tensioning pulley; I'll post up a pic when I take one!

Regarding the oil, if you plug the oil injector hole (jedi.com has how to) then you won't lose too much oil. I don't know if my particular York has old rings or not but I still get some oil in the outlet. It's worth investing in a high quality coalescing oil filter (not found in Home Depots) for this application. I got mine from mcmastercarr I think.

Ali

About to start on this project. Thought I would ask questions here first before starting a new thread. I too have the 2nd battery box and have the kit from slee. So it sounds like I am better off ordering a York compressor with the 6" pulley? Also can I order any 210 York? Any ideas on relocating the pair valve? So far the pictures are great--keep them coming.

Thanks

Yup, belt is no problem...I'm sure they would exchange it.

Besides, there is no way anyone can carry all of the different belt sizes for every pulley (there were quite a few different sizes).

Apparently the 7" and 6" pulley were the most common though.

I plan on running a tensioner anyway...so the extra inch will probably work just fine.

I will be interested to see how much oil is discharged from the case. From what I've read its not exactly a "gusher" but does require that you check the oil level from time to time.

I plan on using the fill hole on the engine/bracket side to recycle the oil, and the fill hole on the other side to check the oil level with a dipstick.

It will be well worth whatever effort it takes to make this work.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
finally got back into this tonight. I took the battery out, then bolted up the compressor. It definitely rubbed on the tray, where it bulges out on the side. So I cut a slot in it, used a 1" drill top & bottom and did the inside with my drywall saw, cleaned it all up with a coarse file.
nak_york1.jpg
nak_york2.jpg
nak_york3.jpg

I'm not sure how much it will move with the engine running.. but since it's not spinning (still no belt) who cares, it'll just move the tray in a little, which has plenty of give to it. will be easy to open up the slot a little more if needed. More to come, hopefully sooner this time.. :)

That's tighter than a gnat's ass stretched over a rain barrel........:eek:

What happened to the grille?............:flipoff2:

Has anyone brought this to the mud member who builds these? I am sure that it would not be an issue to take another inch or two out of the mounts to fix this issue.IMO

My concern is this: when you have the air comp running for locker engagement, filling up air tank (or whatever else) and you're tooling around in 4LO, chances are that engine torque will move that pulley more than you'd like. You can see how much the engine moves simply by power braking it so I'd keep a close eye in that area. I suppose using an York with 6" pulley can solve that issue.

I'm curious as to why the brackets are made so that the York are pushed out so far from the block. Not criticizing, just curious!

I know Dan, was sad to see the grill go but it got in the way of progress! Still got the "hot dogger" tucked in towards the back of the manifold.. so if you're in my truck you'll be ok I just can't cook for the whole run anymore. :)

And for this to be closer to the engine it would also need to be up higher, to clear the exhaust manifold... so if your belt length was held constant, rotate the compressor up and over along that arc. About 5" up from where it sits would be perfect. But I do like how low it sits, fwiw..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom