fj62: out with the auto, in with the crawler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
i don't spend much time in the 60 section but figured you guys would be interested in this conversion.
i'm helping my friend brett aka dieselbiggot with a build-up on his fj62. the plans are to go soa, custom bumpers, sliders, skid plate and replace the auto with a late model 4spd (so he can swap in an H55f down the road) with a marlin toybox and a split case.
i'm in the process of assembling the drivetrain on the bench right now so i figured i'd post a teaser mock-up shot.
more pics and a detailed description will follow as the project comes along. :)
MVC-765S.JPG

I wanna follow this...sounds cool...How did you get the case so clean Georg???

Damn Dude...that's my case? Wow does that look spanky. Just to add to what Georg has already mentioned about this project, the plan is to build this rig then sell off my Mini truck which has been serving as my "hardcore" rig. I wanted something that I could drive to the trail, spank it, and drive home...no trailer queen, no frills. I'm starting with a rust free 88 62 that I picked up in Reno a couple years ago for cheap. I've spent 2 years collecting parts as they came up and were good buys. When it's done, it'll look something like this:

3FE
H42
4.7 Toybox
38mm Split case
SOA w/ SR on stock springs
CV drivelines
ARB front / Detroit rear
4.56's
30 spline longs
Poly rears
36 TSL radials on Champion Beadlocks
Modified ARB front bumper w/ winch
Sliders, Tcase skid, Rear tube bumper
Basic no-frills interior
Lots of dents & scratch’s

Basically I want all the money in the drivetrain and don’t give a crap what it looks like. If all goes according to plan I will start the SOA sometime in January…Should be fun…

yup, that's your case brett.

dis-assembled
washed in the solvent tank
scrubbed and scraped
pressure washed
bead blasted
painted

dishes are done! (let's hear it fc...):grinpimp:

kinda looks like mine... only mine works right now....
If I can put my $.02 I would go with the 2.28 box (only because it's stronger)
dont ask me how I know that. besides 2.28and 2.27 is not all that bad, that would put you right around 115:1 with the h42
just a thought...

kinda looks like mine... only mine works right now....
If I can put my $.02 I would go with the 2.28 box (only because it's stronger)
dont ask me how I know that. besides 2.28and 2.27 is not all that bad, that would put you right around 115:1 with the h42
just a thought...

Dave,

Couple reasons for the 4.7. First I bought it used...(actually it was brand new never installed but pre-owned:) ) Next, if I ever want to do a diesel/H55 swap and want to maintain the Toybox, it has to be a 4.7....2.28 won't work w/ the H55 (that's coming from Marlin himself).

Another question, the transmission you are installing this too does it have the spacer on the back. I have the H55F and was thinking about the toybox, but it puts the toybox shifter in the console and you have to either massage your transmission tunnel or fab a new one since the top of the t-case will hit the body. Were/Are you aware of this or have you come up with a fix. Just trying to find out from some actual experience if this will work. There shouldn't be hardly any difference between the 60 and 62s once you get the swap done.

O.K.... Sounds good, sounds like it'll be a cool rig. In answer to Gulfshoresfj60's
question... It is possible to make a "remote" lever to the toy box, it just takes a little doing. If you need any thing I can help with let me know.

yes, we are using the later model 4spd with the long spacer. the center console will be superfulous since we won't be running the auto shifter so we'll mostlikely do away with it. i'll cross that bridge when i get there but thanks for your input.:)

Ok, please post up. I've kind of stopped on my progress until I figure out what I want to do about a Toybox. I would love one, but I was a little iffy about the whole center console and location of the shifter. The new tranny hump wouldn't be too bad to do, I would just like a center console. Thanks and I look forward to the progress and pictures.

a big part of this conversion which will prove to be a big help is the fact that we had an intact 86ish fj60 donor vehicle. i pulled out the t-case, trans, clutch assy and hydraulics, the bell housing and the entire pedal buckett. since the fj62 is not set up with three pedals that was almost a necessity. the good news is that the body on the 62 is marked for the clutch slave cylinder location so that'll make things easier.
i also removed and saved the trans tunnel cover to be re-used with the 4spd standard trans.
once i have the entire power train assembled on the bench i will tear into the 62. until then, it's gonna stay running and driveable for obvious reasons. besides, i gotta haul the new trans combo to the shop in it!:lol:

This is very interesting. I was not aware a toybox would fit behind a H55 and split case. New options are abound.

Another question, the transmission you are installing this too does it have the spacer on the back. I have the H55F and was thinking about the toybox, but it puts the toybox shifter in the console and you have to either massage your transmission tunnel or fab a new one since the top of the t-case will hit the body. Were/Are you aware of this or have you come up with a fix. Just trying to find out from some actual experience if this will work. There shouldn't be hardly any difference between the 60 and 62s once you get the swap done.

Let me clarify this....we are using a late model 4sp w/ the spacer but are removing the spacer. It's not needed and the 10 spline output shaft that has to be swapped in to mate to the 10 spline input gear on the Toybox is too short to use the spacer. This will eliminate any worries about the shifter location. Jim Brantley did this when he installed the toybox on his 86 and here's where the shifter ended up:

http://www.realcruiser.com/crawler/

Now if, down the road, I do end up swapping in a diesel and an H55, I'll have some work to do:

Swap the 10 spline input gear on the 4.7 Toybox to a 19 spline
Re-work the location of the Toybox shifter to account for a now longer tranny
Shorten my drivelines

The 4.7 Toybox for the H42 will bolt directly to an H55 IF you swap that input gear. Marlin said the 2.28 Toybox won't work on an H55...can't remember why though

Let me clarify this....we are using a late model 4sp w/ the spacer but are removing the spacer. It's not needed and the 10 spline output shaft that has to be swapped in to mate to the 10 spline input gear on the Toybox is too short to use the spacer. This will eliminate any worries about the shifter location. Jim Brantley did this when he installed the toybox on his 86 and here's where the shifter ended up:

http://www.realcruiser.com/crawler/

Now if, down the road, I do end up swapping in a diesel and an H55, I'll have some work to do:

Swap the 10 spline input gear on the 4.7 Toybox to a 19 spline
Re-work the location of the Toybox shifter to account for a now longer tranny
Shorten my drivelines

The 4.7 Toybox for the H42 will bolt directly to an H55 IF you swap that input gear. Marlin said the 2.28 Toybox won't work on an H55...can't remember why though

Hey-dieselmaggot (opps bigot!) I believe the tranny output splines are the same, late H42 vs H55. Whay are you using a 10 spline output shaft if the box is set up for a late model H42? You need the short tranny, or the output shaft from the short tranny that came in the early FJ60s.

I seem to recall, the box you bought was already set up for an FJ60 tranny. I believe Pismo Jim got an early Toybox that was built around the early H42 output shaft. I don't remember all the numbers, but I *think* the H42 had a 16 spline output early on, then had a 19 spline output in the FJ60s. No way at all you should be using a 10 spline input unless you are using an SM420/465 up front, which you arn't.

Let Orange45 know he is welcome Saturday night. See you then. Your project is starting to make me jealous. Viva la feme Celine!

=Cruiserdrew;1643885]Hey-dieselmaggot (opps bigot!)

Hey-Cruiserdumb (opps drew!)

I believe the tranny output splines are the same, late H42 vs H55.

Yep..both 19 spline as I recall

Whay are you using a 10 spline output shaft if the box is set up for a late model H42?

The box I bought came with a 10 spline input gear. The tranny had a 19 spline. I was already having Georg pull the 4sp apart so the change the tranny output to a short 10 spline was easier/cheaper than tearing into the Toybox

You need the short tranny, or the output shaft from the short tranny that came in the early FJ60s.

I got the short 10 spline from Marlin for free on a trade for a H55 shaft I had kicking around...again, cheaper than buying the 19 spline gear for the Toybox

I seem to recall, the box you bought was already set up for an FJ60 tranny.

Yep...10 spline...am I repeating myself too much here?;)

I believe Pismo Jim got an early Toybox that was built around the early H42 output shaft.

Jim did exactly what I am doing.....removed the spacer and installed a short 10 spline output on the H42

I don't remember all the numbers, but I *think* the H42 had a 16 spline output early on, then had a 19 spline output in the FJ60s.

I'm pretty sure it was 10 spline up to 80, then 16 spline till 85, then 19 spline for 86/87...but not 100% sure so don't take my word on that

Your project is starting to make me jealous.

Andy, my goal in life is to make you jealous:)

Viva la feme Celine!

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :)

Well, that solves the mystery! Wasn't that box advertized as set up for FJ60 including H55f? I remember when Foxfab had it for sale. Had you asked, I would have given you an H42 out of my 76, so none of this swaparama would be needed! Now I better keep it for when my Toybox turn comes.

Your truck is going to be seriously nice. I can't wait to see it. When is the projected completion date? Before Rubicon?

Last edited:
Well, that solves the mystery! Wasn't that box advertized as set up for FJ60 including FJ55? I remember when Foxfab had it for sale. Had you asked, I would have given you an H42 out of my 76, so none of this swaparama would be needed! Now I better keep it for when my Toybox turn comes.

Your truck is going to be seriously nice. I can't wait to see it. When is the projected completion date? Before Rubicon?

Actually Mike never advertised it as an H55 unit, I knew it was 10 spline from the get go. If all goes according to plan (which we know it never does), I want this thing done by April...so it'll be ready for Rubithion for sure. We'll see how it goes.

hey guys.
sorry about the confusion about the output shaft and spacer setup we'll be running. brett's expalantion nails it on the head.

drew, i appreciate the invite but i'll have to take a rain check; got other plans already.:frown: party on dudes!!!:cheers:

alright, let's take this from the top.

brett had a donor fj60 that we canibalized for parts to do this conversion. i removed the drive shafts, trans and t-case, bell housing and clutch assembly, clutch hydraulics, the pedal buckett (earned my "contorsionist" title that day). i had unbolted the column from the dash to make things more accessible(sp?!) and when i went to pull out the pedal assy, i promptly got nailed right in the bridge of the nose by the steering wheel as the column dropped. good times!:whoops:

here's a shot of the donor rig:
brett60-1.jpg

the donor 60 was then sold and went to a happy home in the pacific northwest. it had virtually no rust so the bodywork came in handy for a cab replacement on another fj60 project up north.

the next step was to replace the main shaft on the transmission in order to be able to mate it to the toy box brett had aquired. so the trans had to come most of the way apart to get the shorter 10 spline shaft in there. i discovered a bad 4th gear synchro ring so i ordered a new one from toyota and installed it at this time.

here's what the combo looked like when i pulled it out:
MVC-611S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom