How do you really determine the size of Cruiser bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dumb question... from a half banana mechanic...

When taking my cruiser apart, I would like to replace all the nuts and bolts. How do I tell which size I have ? Is there a nifty tool I can get? I want to have original head size and thread size.

Thanks for the help!!!:bounce:

Dumb question... from a half banana mechanic...

When taking my cruiser apart, I would like to replace all the nuts and bolts. How do I tell which size I have ? Is there a nifty tool I can get? I want to have original head size and thread size.

Thanks for the help!!!:bounce:

Yes there is a nifty tool, get it at any quality hardware or FASTENAL store.

Has all the nifty things on it and will be a life saver.

Last edited:
Well ya might mention WHAT the tool is :D

Ask for a metric thread gauge and/or a metric bolt sizer. The bolt sizer will tell you what diameter the shaft of the bolt is in mm (Not the hex head). Common sizes on Cruisers are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. It also usually has a metric ruler to measure the length of the bolt. If not buy a cheap metric ruler.

The thread pitch gauge will tell you the distance between each thread the bolt has. The more threads the stronger the bolt (or it's used in thin metal). Threads are either course or fine. An example of a typical Cruiser bolt is a 6mm x 1.0 x 16mm That is a bolt that holds down the hard top. It has a shaft 6mm in diamter, the threads are 1.0 mm apart and the length from the end to the bottom of the hex head is 16mm.

New bolts are available from the dealer, any number of online bolt depots and even your local hardware store. The bolts on the Cruiser are JIS. It's a Japan spec for bolts. This means a 6mm bolt will have a 10mm hex head, an 8mm bolt will have a 12mm and a 10mm bolt will have a 14mm head. Non JIS bolts will have a differnt size hex head for the 8 (13mm)and 10mm bolts(14-17mm). The reason I mention this is the Cruiser has some bolts that MUST be JIS due to clearance issues around the head of the bolt. So when ordering bolts make sure to ask for JIS spec metric bolts. :cheers:

Last edited:
Well ya might mention WHAT the tool is :D

Ask for a metric thread gauge and/or a metric bolt sizer. The bolt sizer will tell you what diameter the shaft of the bolt is in mm (Not the hex head). Common sizes on Cruisers are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. It also usually has a metric ruler to measure the length of the bolt. If not buy a cheap metric ruler.

The thread pitch gauge will tell you the distance between each thread the bolt has. The more threads the stronger the bolt (or it's used in thin metal). Threads are either course or fine. An example of a typical Cruiser bolt is a 6mm x 1.0 x 16mm That is a bolt that holds down the hard top. It has a shaft 6mm in diamter, the threads are 1.0 mm apart and the length from the end to the bottom of the hex head is 16mm.

New bolts are available from the dealer, any number of online bolt depots and even your local hardware store. The bolts on the Cruiser are JIS. It's a Japan spec for bolts. This means a 6mm bolt will have a 10mm hex head, an 8mm bolt will have a 12mm and a 10mm bolt will have a 13mm head. Non JIS bolts will have a differnt size hex head for the 8 (13mm)and 10mm bolts(14mm). The reason I mention this is the Cruiser has some bolts that MUST be JIS due to clearance issues around the head of the bolt. So when ordering bolts make sure to ask for JIS spec metric bolts. :cheers:

Cooler is right, of course. And on some of the larger bolts, the threads per milimeter can range from .75>1.0>1.25>1.50>1.75> 2.0, so there is quite a variation. AATLASS1X has a great selection of cad plated JIS fasteners, but I don't know in what quantities he will part with them.
GL
Ed

PS: get a decent metric tap and die set. That will come with a thread gauge and many times you can easily replace bolts, but the threads in captured nuts will need a little cleaning. For example fender mounting, windshield hinges, door hinges, saloon doors, ambi doors and tub.

PSScottBOx---

I will send you what I have so far.... the sheet isn't complete and doesn't have JIS bolts....

Shoot me a PM again... sorry bout that

If you want I can host the file so that you could put a link in your sig. That way you can continue to work on it while everyone can start benefiting from it. ;)

There are going to be year to year variations in the bolts used. If you have not already done so make year one of the columns. ALL my inputs are from a factory softop 2/71 FJ40.

I got a nifty gauge from my local fastener store for free. It has their name stamped on it, but it works great. It measures thread pitch, length, and diameter. Maybe your local nut-and-bolt store has the same?

Why not, just go buy a hole bunch of nuts & bolts.Keep track of what you bought,( is size thread,head size, fine,course, metric,SEA, yada yada yada) then mount them to a block of wood.Right down the size & info needed, in marker above the nut or bolt.Then try screwing it.

Cheap tool, and you made it.

K.I.S.S keep. it. simple. stupid.

Banger

PSScottBOx---

I will send you what I have so far.... the sheet isn't complete and doesn't have JIS bolts....

Shoot me a PM again... sorry bout that

Hey! No problem.. good to see you and thanks

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom