Builds 71' Fj40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought that I might start posting my progress since build is starting to look better. I started out with a 71' frame and tub that someone else started to build. They put a 2f, 4 speed tranny, and transfer case from a 78'. All of the body work was done by my good freind. He is starting to learn body work and he got this one pretty much smooth and primed for me.

It came with the rear SO'ed and in the front they put on like 4" longer shackles. Needless to say, the front got redone. I started a post showing my front axle build over in "hardcore". You can check it out here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=110827

Here's a picture of the axle finished. It just lacks the draglink. I can not put it on until I get some 1" wheel spacers. The Tundra rims are about 4.5" of backspacing and the tire hits the draglink, but nothing else.
DSC00036.JPG

I have almost completed my saginaw power steering, and the front hangers and springs are done. I just need to roll the axle under it and bolt it up. I have not had any help in a while, so it will have to wait until this weekend. Once I get it attached I can see what kind of length I am looking at for driveshafts. I will be getting those from High Angle driveline.

I got a steering column from a 78' so I could use a pillow block to support the shaft, but I ended up useing a bearing from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. I got my slip shaft from Borgeson and my joints from Summit racing. The joints are a steering gear spline to 3/4" DD, and a 1" DD to 3/4" DD both made by Flaming River. My box is an AGR Super Box 2. And my mounting plates were courtesy of Poser.

I cut off the mount at the end of the steering tube and I made a mount out of 1/4" steel to mount to the original mounting holes. I didn't want to have to cut the firewall in case I wanted to put the origanal back on.
DSC00031.JPG
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00034.JPG

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep up the good work

Long live 71's!!! :cheers:

I picked up a 71' hardtop from Chip B, thanks bud, and I am going to restore it for winter driving. I have a top from a 78' but the trouble to make it work isn't worth it. I wanted to keep my rear half doors, and I like the older style front doors better. The fiberglass is cracked, so I am going to use the top from the 78' with the sides and hatch from the 71'. I do not have any front doors, so I will be on the lookout for some. The glass is all there, so I will be removing them and replacing the seals once everything is painted.

Here is some pictures of it now. Very soon it will be rolling. But before I can drive it there is still many parts left to buy. I need a set of two piece headers, my carb rebuilt, a couple of brake lines, driveshafts, paint, rhino lined interior, and a full cage. Maybe it will be ready next summer. 'fingers crossed':)
DSC00035.JPG
DSC00037.JPG
DSC00038.JPG

Last edited:
Here is how bad the front end was. The caster was out so bad that when I hit any little rut in my yard it would yank the steering wheel out of my hand. I can't imagine what kind of death wobble you would get at speed.
resized FJ40 front.JPG

I have completed 3 saginaw conversions. On 2 of them I made spud shafts from rag joint to box shaft. I havn't seen a conversion like yours with the box that far into the cross member. Are you going u-joint sthaight to the bos shaft?
If so I am certainly not opposed to going without that $$$$ spud shaft.

kbill i also stuffed my box in as far as i could. if you look at where his bumper is he has taken a few inches off the fromt, better approach angle.

the work looks good keep the pics rollin

Numtel, no I am estimating about 6" in the front and 4" in the rear. Whats wrong with my jackstands? They are good enough to hold up a house aren't they? Just kidding, my jackstands were being used while I was building my axle, they are going back under it before I put the axle back on. I have not crawled under it since it has been on blocks.

Thanks M3TAL, the springs worked out great.

Kbil45, yes I have used a splined u-joint to 3/4" double d. The shaft is close to the motor mount, but it worked out perfect. It really put a smile on my face once it all came together. This is my first on everything.

Thanks Camcruiser, I have seen your postings and your work looks good as well.

Will update once I get the axle and tires mounted. Then it is time to mount my shocks, or should I wait and do that last once I see how it flexes. I have 14" bilsteins, and I was going to mount them with a % of up travel left when the vehicle is as rest and go with it. Should I wait and see how much down travel I need first?

Jeremy

Well here is some more progress that I made over the turkey day break.

I mounted my power steering pump and pulley. And I cleaned up my steering wheel and mounted it. The wheel and coulumn is from a 78' and I was thinking of mounting my turn signals on the column and then trimming the column cover and see how that looks. I really would like to keep my original signal switch, because It looks like a pain to switch it out.

Maybe later I will get one of those tilt cruiser columns for IDIDIT and get a turn signal on it.

P.S.
The pump bracket, pulley, and belt came from Lance at Iron Pig Offroad. The pump is an 80' and later GM pump with o-ring fitting that i got my parts supplier.
100_1372.jpg
100_1370.jpg
100_1371.jpg

I got the raer tires mounted and it definately looks like I am going to be trimming fenders. Good thing I just picked up an old set of TJ flares that I will be painting and mounting later.

I mounted my front axle and realized that I did not like how far forward it was. I had mounted my front hangers 4" further forward by mounting them on the bumper and then I had flipped them for the shackle reversal. This put my drag link mount on the axle more forward than my pitman arm mount.

So off they came and I decided to take them apart, paint everything, drill the military wrap leaf, and coat them in slip plate. Paint really makes a big difference on the looks of things.

I really like the stance now. Drag link should be parallel with the tie rod.

My arms that I got from Luke caused my tie rod and drag link to hit the springs so I am waiting on him to send me his extended height arms. He is really great to deal with. Swapped them out no problem. I'll start painting my tie rod and ends and be ready to button up the front when they arrive.

I have all my brake hoses for the front, so I am now just waiting on the arms.

Jeremy
100_1369.jpg
100_1374.jpg
100_1376.jpg

Calling it a night at 12:30.

This how she looks for now.

This angle makes it look like I have some major pimp lean going on, but it is not.
100_1377.jpg
100_1378.jpg
100_1379.jpg

Still waiting on my arms from Luke.

I just ordered some more new parts. A 2 piece header from Man-A-Fre (on sale). And I just sent my carb off to JimC.

I bought some ceramic paint to paint the engine and manifold while I was in there. And Jesse at High Angle is making me a long slip front and CV rear.

All of this should be here by Christmas. A nice big present for me would be to start my cruiser again after sitting for a year.:)

Well, I got my extended arms from Luke today, and they work perfect. Thanks Luke! Now I just have to send him the other arms back. Added some paint and called it done for now. Just waiting on driveshafts and my header.

Jeremy
arms.jpg
arms 2.jpg

I don't know if anyone has noticed my signature, but I have decided to name my FJ40 Evelyn. Eve for short. Pronounced E-V. My wife and I are expecting a child in April, and I was waiting to find out if it is going to be a boy or a girl before I named the Cruiser. We were thinking of naming it Evelyn if it was a girl. But the Dr. said it is a boy, so the Cruiser gets the name.

For those that are interested, we were thinking of Landon for a first name, and my wife actually suggested Orion. She knows nothing about the AA transfer case, just thought that was interesting that she liked that name. Maybe I am converting her brain to a cruiserhead and she doesn't realize it.

O.K. enough chat. I have received my headers, and over the holidays I should be getting my carb back. Soo, I should be able to get the power steering hooked up, the brakes hooked up, get the headers and carb back on, torque everything up, check fluids, and fire her back up. If the driveshafts come in next week, I may even be able to test her out in the yard. Wow, I get goosebumps just thinking of the possibility of driving her.

Later
Jeremy

You look like you are making some good progress. I really want to get down to the beach and check it out and get those seat brackets. I have had to do some things to make room for the tub I just bought. I will be picking it up this weekend. I am going to make it down after the first of the year if nothing else. As a side not, my first son is named Landon as well.

Well Christmas has gone pretty well. I received my headers from Man-A-Fre, and got new bolts for the manifold from SOR. I cleaned up the intake manifold and painted it with high temp. ceramic paint. Polished aluminum I believe is the color.

Installed the manifold and headers. These are awesome. I recommend them to everyone. They were so easy to install. I used the gasket that came with them and put a dab of black RTV on all corners of the openings. I then put red lock tight on all the bolts and studs and torgued them to about 50lbs.

The front header tube came really close to my saginaw pump bracket, but it doesn't touch.

The headers definately solved my problem of the hanger bolt hitting the collector. This should be the solution to anyone running a header set up with a shackle reversal.

Jeremy
DSC00040.JPG
DSC00042.JPG
DSC00043.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom