" Go search " vs. " Welcome to the board " (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So if every new user is met with a " go search " response is it a positive thing for the site?

I've been an internet user since 1992. I'm sure that there are others that have been around longer, but the whole thrust of the forum is sharing information.

It doesn't matter that it's been hashed, rehashed and rerehashed - it's about sharing and we should all share what we can in the spirit of the medium.

Just doesn't seem right. I've learned so much here and at hundreds of other sites over the years. I feel sorry for people who are trashed as soon as they post a common question that could have been answered with a few kind words and a link.

Last edited:
This has been covered several time,

Search

;)

Agreed, and thanks for your patience. I'm not the most proficient searcher.

Spartan, I tend to tell someone new about the FAQ and how to use the advanced features of the search effectively. I agree the "go serach" response turns me off and thats why I explain how to search effectively after giving a brief answer.

I wish more would do that rather than just saying "search"

I think noobs should be encouraged to search and troll. I have been a Mud member for quite a while, but it wasn't until I bought an LX450 5 weeks ago that I began to really use Mud. I am on every day now trolling through the posts looking for threads of interest. When I find one I subscribe to the thread. I now have folders for Mechanical, Electrical, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, etc...

If you recognize the underlying technology behind a BBS, one of the strengths is the archiving of posts. The whole idea is to enable a community share what they know, but there is also the opportunity to not have to reuse data.

I'm biased. I do knowledge management for a living.

Jer

I try to do a little more than "go search", except if someone is asking how big of tires they can stick on their stock rig! :flipoff2:

:D

I figure that eventually every topic will be covered in here somewhere. Then the only way we can add to our post count is to tell some Newb to "go search :flipoff2: "

Then the repost police will come out to tell us that "go search" is a "repost"

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I think it is more a tone problem. People that come out and ask dumb questions in a know-it-all tone, or people who have been here for awhile but perhaps on a different section--those are the ones that get told to search.

Those new folks who acknowledge their newbieness and ask in a civilized tone usually get very good treatment.
FWIW,
Dan

I think you would find that most do search first. I know that I was past my first knuckle rebuild and into something like TPS adjustment before my first post, being shy and all... I would agree that a gentle point to the FAQ without caps would be pro forma. Sometimes, though, the grammar or tone makes it hard to resist. You know, "you can't fix stupid", but it is sure fun trying....

There is a faq & search function? Who knew!

:D

:flipoff2:

I wish more would do that rather than just saying "search"

Sheez Romer ........................:flipoff2:

How about 'GO SEARCH'

Is that better..........................;)

I'm a newbie and i have just started a post all on my own. I FEEL ASSHAMED:flipoff2:

If you recognize the underlying technology behind a BBS, one of the strengths is the archiving of posts.

Others have made very good points but I would like to comment on Jer's post.

Jer has identified the KEY reason that anyone (newbie or regular) should spend some time searching whatever topic they are about to post. There are many reasons and I have pointed out these reasons in the past.

The most important reason for doing a search is that nobody here on this forum is going to answer the same questions as well as it has been covered in the past. There are many reasons for this: Original threads will have a lot of research behind them including back and forth discussions among the "experts" here on 'Mud. The original threads will have pictures; many times of several vehicles. The "theory" will be discussed and hashed. Differing opinions will be expressed. Plus, some of the better posts were done by people that are no longer regulars. There are dozens of very good reasons one should SEARCH.

I also agree that it is polite to give someone a link but sometimes we (well, I do anyway) just get tired of doing the SEARCH for someone, finding the link, and posting it.

The ADVANCED SEARCH works very well and if anyone says they are having problems then I'll give them some keywords and an author but, quite frankly, I'm through with explaining to newbies how to test if their lockers are working.

The other reason that people are doing themselves a disservice by NOT searching is getting wrong information. I recently watched a thread get answered incorrectly and rudely by a fairly new member. They went back and forth about 8 or 10 posts and the advice was simply bad advice. For whatever reason, nobody else was responding to the OP. A quick search by the OP would have found dozens of posts covering the same topic/symptoms with excellent advice.

-B-

Chat---:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom