Flat Towing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Could an 80 be safely flat towed behind a motorhome if the Slee part time 4wd kit were installed?

I'm curious about this too... Only I want to tow it behind another 80. With the Tcase in Neutral, what can be hurt? Or would I need to remove the drive shafts?

I see the auto auction guys driving standard cars with bumper clip hitches going to the car in tow. These are beaters on the interstate at 80mph. I saw one spin out. It was cool to watch nearly 40' of vehicle spinning down the road.

Anyway, what would you have to do to tow an 80 without a trailer?

I'd be more concerned about dragging around 5,000 pounds behind a motor home. That's what they made Sami's for.

-Spike

Could an 80 be safely flat towed behind a motorhome if the Slee part time 4wd kit were installed?

I don't see that that would be relevant. With or without the part time kit, you'd want the t-case in neutral.

Every time someone here brings up flat towing an 80, most people say don't do it; but I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that it will harm anything. One guy a while back said he was going to tow his behind his motorhome and keep us posted, but I don't think he ever reported back. His was still AWD; his thinking (which seemed logical to me) was t-case in neutral but tranny in park (to keep it's internals from heating up).

Curtis

One guy a while back said he was going to tow his behind his motorhome and keep us posted, but I don't think he ever reported back. His was still AWD; his thinking (which seemed logical to me) was t-case in neutral but tranny in park (to keep it's internals from heating up).

Curtis

Au contraire, as previously reported....I started out with short trips behind the dually, stopping frequently to check everything and found no problems. I've since made several trips including one to North Dakota and back without incident.

To set it up, I bought an ARB front bumper and installed Blue Ox universal brackets that I strengthened and used large backing plates. The front and rear diffs got 75-90 synthetic while the center diff got 90-140 synthetic. Even during the Florida summer, the center diff does not get too warm to keep my hand on the output bearings after a couple hundred miles.

Wiring the factory lights to work from the motorhome/dually requires diodes and time....have the diodes but not the time so I've been using those magnetic jobs. BTW, the motorhome weighs 38,000 lbs and does not know the 80 is back there until I apply the brakes so I will be investing in an aux braking system before the next trip.

I've since had two Toyota master mechanics tell me there is no problem doing flat towing my 96. Other models may be different, YMMV

I'd be more concerned about dragging around 5,000 pounds behind a motor home. That's what they made Sami's for.

-Spike

How would you get an 80 down to 5000 pounds-chop the back off?

No seriously, I know it's too heavy to put on a trailer and add the trailer weight too. Just looking at my long term options of a flat towed 80 versus towing my
4Runner on a trailer (4Runner weighs 4900 pounds on the Cat scales).

Now that Tuner's checked in, I say Go For It!!

(Notliableforanydamageincurredbyfollowingtheabovesuggestionblahbityblahbityblah...)

I would install front locking hubs...

with the tcase in neutral it would eliminate any wear on the front end and reduce your rolling resistance...

What about getting two 4' long iron bars with loops welded onto the ends. Shackle one set to the tow hooks on the 80, shackle the other 2 ends to the pintle... OK, REAL bad idea. The play would probably make a nice 80/80 pirouette. It'd be good to about 5mph though.

I would install front locking hubs...

with the tcase in neutral it would eliminate any wear on the front end and reduce your rolling resistance...

I'm not positive, but I doubt this statement. I believe the t-case only disengages from the tranny in neutral, not from the drive shafts. You would still be turning everything.

-Spike

Now that Tuner's checked in, I say Go For It!!

(Notliableforanydamageincurredbyfollowingtheabovesuggestionblahbityblahbityblah...)

:):)I will be the first to report a problem....but none so far. If I were towing the 80 with my truck, a trailer with brakes would make more sense to me. A trailer is just a fantasticpainintheass when you're traveling in a motorhome.

An invention?

Tow trucks sometimes use a dolly for the back tires. Why not use dollies on all 4?

I'm not positive, but I doubt this statement. I believe the t-case only disengages from the tranny in neutral, not from the drive shafts. You would still be turning everything.

-Spike

Every other cruiser tcase (40-62) is like this... Pretty sure 80 series cruisers are the same...

Every other cruiser tcase (40-62) is like this... Pretty sure 80 series cruisers are the same...

Every other cruiser t-case (40-62) is a part-time system. There is no way to disengage the front driveshaft on an 80.

-Spike

This is a 96 TC, notice the two shift forks that effectively disconnect the internals when in neutral
TC.JPG

I don't know nothing about disengaging nothing.
I just am posting to to say BUY AN 80....

I don't know nothing about disengaging nothing.
I just am posting to to say BUY AN 80....

I'm surprised it took you so long to find this. I would only considr it if it can be flat towed.

How many times have I thought about getting an 80 anyway and I still have the 4Runner.

I'm surprised it took you so long to find this. I would only considr it if it can be flat towed.

How many times have I thought about getting an 80 anyway and I still have the 4Runner.

I'm slow

Don't sell the runner... just buy an 80.

Flat tow it. If need be, when we go to rides, I can get behind and push with my wagon:D

...notice the two shift forks that effectively disconnect the internals when in neutral

I can't tell what the shift forks do there. I do know that when I attempted to tow my '94 home on a dolly with the t-case in neutral it got about 100 yards before the VC locked up enough to stop the tow vehicle. Had to remove the drive shaft.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom