Filter light stays on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so my BJ 42 has a dash light for the fuel/water seperator, when it has too much water in it the light stays on after ignition to let you know. My problem is I have drained the seperator and the light stays on, also the e-brake light is lit up and stays on. Apparently these two are tied together. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? FYI I have traced down the wires and replaced several of them including the plug right at the fuel/water seperator. I am wondering if I just have a bad switch inside the seperator?

so if you disconnect the plug to the filter the lights turn off? maybe they are worn thru somewhere and causing a ground???

It's time to rebuilt your alternator....

that solved that same problem on my ex-BJ60 1983.

I first disconnected the plug and the light still remianed on? weird huh

thanks for your reply

It never hurts to check the wires as much as you can. Sounds to me like you're getting a funky connection somewhere between the instrument cluster and the water seperator. I had similar wierdness from my fuel gauge thanks to some poor wiring.

I wonder if it could be the magentic switch inside the sedimenter? Do they go bad? At some point I guess any component could go bad, but I have checked wires over and over, will keep cheking though the good news is the vehicle runs awesome. everything else works and she starts great.

cheers

Sounds to me like you're getting a funky connection somewhere between the instrument cluster and the water seperator.

X2 .. I never had this problem btu yes a lots with my fuel gauge wiring ..

so my BJ 42 has a dash light for the fuel/water seperator, when it has too much water in it the light stays on after ignition to let you know. My problem is I have drained the seperator and the light stays on, also the e-brake light is lit up and stays on. Apparently these two are tied together. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? FYI I have traced down the wires and replaced several of them including the plug right at the fuel/water seperator. I am wondering if I just have a bad switch inside the seperator?

On my 81 BJ42, the fuel light will stay on if the alt. is not turning not sure if it is showing no vacum or no charging from the alt, I recently threw a belt and this was the first indication , I am not sure of the seat belt light as it does not work on this truck, but on my 80 BJ40 which did have some charging issues and if it was not charging the seatbelt light would come on.

Hope this helps.

Myrle

I still put 10$ on the alternator.

Rebuilt it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom