Replacement Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Since I own a car audio store I thought I would share an awsome front speaker replacement option with my fellow 80 Series owners.

As you all know I'm sure the 6.5" speaker in the front doors of your 80 series can present a problem when looking for a replacement speaker because of the lack of mounting depth.

Exile Car Audio offers an AWSOME set of component speakers for these applications with a 6.5" woofer with a 2.5" mounting depth.....You heard me correctly 2.5" of mounting depth....

I encourage you to take a look at them if your in the market for replacement speakers. In my LX450 they fit awsome and behind the factory grills. You can check them out and get more info at www.exilecaraudio.com

BTW....what does PHH mean?

===================================================
woody: great info, but keep the pricing in the Marketplace or Storefront corners ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PHH - Pesky Heater Hose. A 100 mm length of 16mm (5/8 inch) straight heater hose located at the extreme LH rear corner of the 1FZ engine cylinder head. So named because it is not the easiest thing to change-out even under ideal conditions.

Fix your PHH with Green Stripe, found in the vendors section. I paid a guy to do it and am very happy with the result! Certainly will keep your speakers in mind.

How much less are we talking about? My DS front speaker is busted and I miss the old days of being able to jam out

LDD- Thanks for the info, if you post up contact info and approx price, you may get some takers for the speakers. Might even consider putting it in the "Merchandise Storefront" forum.

Long Duck Dong said:
Hello All,

Since I own a car audio store I thought I would share an awsome front speaker replacement option with my fellow 80 Series owners.

As you all know I'm sure the 6.5" speaker in the front doors of your 80 series can present a problem when looking for a replacement speaker because of the lack of mounting depth.

Exile Car Audio offers an AWSOME set of component speakers for these applications with a 6.5" woofer with a 2.5" mounting depth.....You heard me correctly 2.5" of mounting depth....

I encourage you to take a look at them if your in the market for replacement speakers. In my LX450 they fit awsome and behind the factory grills. You can check them out and get more info at www.exilecaraudio.com

The model number is XP65COMP and they typically retail for about $259 for the set and come with a 2 year replacement warranty. I suggest you check with your local car audio retailer and ask about Exile Car Audio. If you cant find them I will be glad to send them to you at way less than the $259 retail price.

BTW....what does PHH mean?

Do you have any pics of the install of those 2.5" deep 6.5s behind the factory grills? Installing even a 2" deep 5 and 1/4" speaker is a challenge and requires the use of a 1/4" spacer.

I see that these have separate tweeters. Did you put the tweeters in the dash locations, or did you do something else?

CSA said:
Do you have any pics of the install of those 2.5" deep 6.5s behind the factory grills? Installing even a 2" deep 5 and 1/4" speaker is a challenge and requires the use of a 1/4" spacer.

I can't get the website to load right now, but IIRC these actually show a 1.85" mounting depth. I may be wrong, though.

I'm not a huge fan of cutting holes in stuff so I put the seperate tweeter on the factory location on the bottom of my lower dash....

As for pricing them to the forum.....They cost me $125.00 a set and I can get a small discount if they are bought in master packs which come in a box of two but the discount is only $5 a pair..... UPS ground shipping would run probobly $5-$10 anywhere in the 48 States... So at MOST $135 shipped to your door.

OH.....I was wrong.....1.85" is the correct mounting depth....in my original post I was looking at another speaker spec...

1074293069_l.jpg

I haven't heard of that brand, of course I've been out of the custom stereo scene for a little while (like 10 years). How are they for sound quality. I don't need spine cracking bass, but I do like to crank it up and have it be really clear and full. My last setup had diamond technology 4" components, 6"x9" three way eclipse point source mids, and a 12" Hi-Fonics Zeus sub. All powered by eclipse amps and an eclipse head unit. Of course, that was 10 years ago.

edit: I'm pretty interested in getting some of these as an upgrade/replacement.

notyourmomslx450 said:
I haven't heard of that brand, of course I've been out of the custom stereo scene for a little while (like 10 years). How are they for sound quality. I don't need spine cracking bass, but I do like to crank it up and have it be really clear and full. My last setup had diamond technology 4" components, 6"x9" three way eclipse point source mids, and a 12" Hi-Fonics Zeus sub. All powered by eclipse amps and an eclipse head unit. Of course, that was 10 years ago.

It's funny that you mention Diamond Audio Technology....I also carry Diamond Audio.

I'm a die hard sound quality freak, the LX is the first SPL vehicle I have done in my 19 years in the indusrty.....Diamond Audio is a true sound quality line of product and I run Diamond in my BMW.

What I have found with Exile is that the line of product Exile offers almost fills the gaps in Diamond Audio's product line....give you an example....

Exile has an "X Series Sub" Considered Entry Level (only avaliable in 12")
Diamond has a D1 (Entry Level), D3 (Mid Line) D6 (Higher End) and D9 (High End)

The Exile "X Series" 12" subwoofer performs better than a D3 but not quite to the level of a D6...somewhere in the middle. The Exile XP Pro 12" sub (pictured in my LX) perform better than a D6 but pretty close to a D9.

IMHO I absolutely love the way the Diamond Audio D362's (D3 series 6.5" Components) sound when used in the right applications and amplified correctly.

The Exile XP65Comp's lack a little of the lower end mid-bass frequency's the D3's will play, but it depends on your listening. The thing I love about Exile is the versatility to be used in Sound Quality applications and SPL applications.

The warranty's are pretty comperable, anything in Diamond Audio that is a D3 or higher carry's a 3 year warranty if installed by a Diamond Dealer. Exile is a 2 year warranty if installed by a Exile dealer, but most of the time the people at Exile dont care who installed them.....they will just replace them.

A little history on Exile...the way it was told to me.....

Exile was started by a handful of the Original people at Phoenix Gold....when Phoenix Gold still made good products like the M25, M44, M50 amplifiers. From what I understand the original engineer who designed most of the Phoenix Gold line (back then) is the engineer for Exile......hence the Exile name came from them being booted from the Phoenix Gold camp.

The products have only been avaliable this year and the dealers are being basically hand picked (not literally). It's a brand as a independent retailer I can see up and coming and becoming a real name to watch out for in the future..... In our retail store we sell 10 Exile to 1 Diamond and literally 5 Exile to 1 JL Audio.....

since we are talking audio, i don't know much about speakers and such, but a local stereo guru installer swears by memphis speakers. He said for the price you can't beat the sound quality. I have never heard of them.

Any feedback on that?

I'm with Jason on this. I want to replace my stereo, but i'm not in to truck vibrating, window cracking bass. I just like lound, clear, full sound.

Are we looking at these as an easy upgrade to the factory speakers without having to run any additional upgrades like amps or the deck? I too have a blown front speaker and would love to replace the front set. Is the stock audio setup good enough to make these speakers sound decent and is the install easy enough for the average joe to tackle? I am definitely interested.

concretejungle said:
since we are talking audio, i don't know much about speakers and such, but a local stereo guru installer swears by memphis speakers. He said for the price you can't beat the sound quality. I have never heard of them.

Any feedback on that?

I'm with Jason on this. I want to replace my stereo, but i'm not in to truck vibrating, window cracking bass. I just like lound, clear, full sound.

Memphis like any other line of product has entry level, mid level and high level product....so it really depends on what level of equipment your buying and for the dollar level your buying at. Memphis does make a decent product but for me as a retailer there were too many other choices of product lines with much better performance with warranty's that backed the products performance which is why I did not pick up Memphis.

TOY350 said:
Are we looking at these as an easy upgrade to the factory speakers without having to run any additional upgrades like amps or the deck? I too have a blown front speaker and would love to replace the front set. Is the stock audio setup good enough to make these speakers sound decent and is the install easy enough for the average joe to tackle? I am definitely interested.
Ditto. I am looking at doing my upgrade in stages. My fronts are blown so I'd like to replace those but it'll likely be a while after that before I start looking into a new head unit, amp, and wiring....

I'm definately interested in these.

TOY350 said:

We have the XP65Comps on display in our sound board and they do perform much better than factory speakers running on deck power.

What you need to keep in mind is that you can buy the most expensive speakers anyone has to offer but the performance of that speaker is still regulated by the output capabilities of your factory radio. I make it a practice to tell my customers looking to upgrade factory speakers in newer vehicles to try replacing the head unit first, you'd be surprised at the difference in sound crappy factory speakers will put out when they have a little more power behind them.

The Exile XP65Comp's are fairly easy to install, and I would feel safe in saying the average joe can install them. The hardest part of the install is getting the door panel off....

My LX450 has a factory amplified system, which I'm not sure if the LC has amplified or not.....if the LC is amplified the XP Comps will be fine and perform better than facotry but your still limited by your factory head units output capability.....not so limited with a factory amplified system, really limited w/o factory amplification.

Yes the LC's have integrated amps as well. It seems the easiest and most common deck upgrade is dropping in a Scion head unit, not sure how much of an upgrade the Scion's HU is but it is newer and will not have CD feeding problems becuase of old rollers and all the deck lights should work.

That being said, I plan on upgrading to the Scion unit and it looks like these speakers are the first ones I have seen that can be mounted without modifications. I'm not sure if I want to be the first "Joe" to tackle this but I will put this on my list. Also have you found a speaker in this product line that will drop into the rear doors without mods? I haven't looked into the rear speakers so I don't know about their replacement availability.

Thanks for the info :cheers:

TOY350 said:
Yes the LC's have integrated amps as well. It seems the easiest and most common deck upgrade is dropping in a Scion head unit, not sure how much of an upgrade the Scion's HU is but it is newer and will not have CD feeding problems becuase of old rollers and all the deck lights should work.

That being said, I plan on upgrading to the Scion unit and it looks like these speakers are the first ones I have seen that can be mounted without modifications. I'm not sure if I want to be the first "Joe" to tackle this but I will put this on my list. Also have you found a speaker in this product line that will drop into the rear doors without mods? I haven't looked into the rear speakers so I don't know about their replacement availability.

Thanks for the info :cheers:

I have never heard of upgrading to the Scion radio, but it sounds interesting.....

Assuming the LX audio wiring is the same as an LC upgrading to an aftermarket radio would be the best reccomendation I would give...

Behind the passenger side dash speaker is where the factory amp is located and the amplifier bypass is extremely easy (at least on my LX). The "normal" Toyota plug is at the bottom of the amplifier and the abnormal input plug is at the top of the factory amplifier. By going to any local audio store you can purchase a Toyota Wire harness for $10 or less....

If you use all of the length of the wire provided in any aftermarket radio wire harness you can go right to the regular Toyota plug, plug in and your ready to play....

Now there is a minor twist to that scenario, if you truck is equipped with the factory subwoofer you have to add a small aftermarket amp to make it play.

I think tomorrow I will try to do a photo by photo DIY front door speaker replacement "How To Guide" for the forum for future reference and use.

As for rear speakers.....I run my factory's but use a passive crossover. They are an odd bolt configuration and unless you want to run 4" speakers ...... they are hard to replace.....but I will come up with a solution now that I know others are looking for one....

Where do we sign up? I want two pair (front/rear)

notyourmomslx450 said:

Too funny, I'm further behind than you. I'm still hoarding A/D/S amps, speakers and Infinity Beta Subs. Before that it was the Boston Pro stuff, the original line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom