Mechanical DUI HEI timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I've searched through the forum about this and learned some new things but not specifically what I would like to know. Should a different degree of timing be set when running the DUI HEI mechanical advance?
Here's why I'm asking. If I try to feather(gently apply) the throttle on take off and between the gears I get a slight hesitation (cough). If I'm more firm with the throttle its better. The specifics:
1971 F engine, new block, pistons, MAF stock cam, reground crank, head serviced, stock carb set 3 turns out w/16.5 vacuum at 650 RPM, timing on the mark, u-grove plugs at .55, livewires. Engine idles fine and cruises well at speed.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Follow the DUI instructions that comes with it...

plaiii said:
Here's why I'm asking. If I try to feather(gently apply) the throttle on take off and between the gears I get a slight hesitation (cough). If I'm more firm with the throttle its better. .

This sounds more like a carb mixture problem than anything to do witht he ignition.

Solved

Thanks for useful help. I removed the intake/exhaust and noticed blow-by on the exhaust ports. Had the assembly machined and gained about another inch of vacuum. Runs great now. Starts right up and doesn't hesitate.
In response to the other post to my question. If all we needed to do was read and instruction manual this forum would be irrelevant and unnecessary. Thankfuly there are others who realize this.

I have a question about my DUI dizzy. I have two sets of weights for it; 60 and 45. Which will open up faster than the other? I am trying to find one that will take longer to open up to 34* advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom