Builds 1980 Frame-Off Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally bought this in 1994 and it sat until last year when I finally got started working on it. Initially planned to sand blast the frame and paint but just couldn't belive that sandblasting could get to every nook and cranny. Then thought about acid dipping and finally decided to have it hot-dip galvanized. Then I primed and painted.

Slowly getting put back together. Swapped in a full-float rear axle, chromoly rear shafts on the way from PolyPerformance, ARBs front and rear, new 4.10 gears, 30-spline Longfields in the front, and OME suspension. I'm powdercoating everything I can and am going with new OEM parts wherever possible (thank you CDan!).

Galv%20004.jpg

Galv%20005.jpg

Galv%20006.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/edwester/Galv 006.jpg
Prime%20002.jpg

Paint%20001.jpg

frame.jpg

:eek:

I have the rotors.............they were under my pillow for weeks!

Last edited:
that looks a little bit better than my frame...

AATLAS1X said:
Post up pics of te hubs being rebuilt....Look great!

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of hub rebuild. It was pretty straight forward though. And "rebuild" is probably stretching it a bit. Basically disassembled, cleaned, inspected for wear, greased and put back together with new o-ring and gasket. The FSM has pics. I did powdercoat the faceplate and selector - thought the yellow would be a little different than the stock red and match the OME shocks.

tuolumnejim said:
The cruiser parts are nice but where is the tripod that goes with the pintle?

Hmmm, "Tolumnejim" - I believe I've seen that name somewhere else before!! Actually, with prices for M2 tripods as ridiculous as they are, I sold mine on ebay a couple of months ago to generate $ for this 40 build. Besides, I like the 1917 tripod and various pedestal mounts much more!

:confused:
Waorani said:
Hmmm, "Tolumnejim" - I believe I've seen that name somewhere else before!! Actually, with prices for M2 tripods as ridiculous as they are, I sold mine on ebay a couple of months ago to generate $ for this 40 build. Besides, I like the 1917 tripod and various pedestal mounts much more!
:confused:

AATLAS1X said:

I could splain but then I'd have to kill ya!

However, I did want to ask you about your painting shown on an eariler thread. I'm getting mixed info from my local shops (the couple that will at least give me the time of day vs those that only want insurance business).

Looks like you had all your panels painted with final color first. Are you then going to assemble for a final spray over hinges/fasteners?

Waorani said:
I could splain but then I'd have to kill ya!

However, I did want to ask you about your painting shown on an eariler thread. I'm getting mixed info from my local shops (the couple that will at least give me the time of day vs those that only want insurance business).

Looks like you had all your panels painted with final color first. Are you then going to assemble for a final spray over hinges/fasteners?

I will assemble then paint (airbrush) the hood hinge bolts. the doors I will not for some time or not at all. I plan on keeping the top off for a season or two.

Waorani,

My frame is off getting galvanized and I want to get primer and paint ready for when I get it back. If you don't mind me asking, what products did you use and where there any special steps you took in the process of painting that you would recommend? Thanks.

I went with a Rustolem Industrial DTM Urethane Mastic topcoat that I ordered from MSC. From the specs it superior resistance to chemicals, weathering, etc, etc. I also used Rustoleum's 2-part Industrial Epoxy Primer which was recommended for galvanized metal. If I had it to do over again - I'd probably just go with their Industrial Epoxy topcoat. The Urethane stuff seems to chip a little too easily.

a thing of beauty. Im going to have my frame dipped too. I want to have my body dipped but dont know anyone who has tried this and am afraid to ruin my 67 body. U do good work man. keep it up!

I just picked up my 1st Toyota a couple of months ago( 1980 FJ40) so I'll be watching this thread very close, as I plan to start my resto in the spring. To dam cold up here right now. And i don;t have a shop to work in like you.

How bout some pic's of the truck from day 1.

LOTS of Pic's plz.:D

Very nice start to a worthy project. x2 on the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom