Yet Another Annoying Sound Question (audio clip included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I've been hearing this :censor: groan or growl or whatever for a couple of months, but today I managed to capture the gremlin in a WAV file. It sounds only when I'm stopped with the shift lever on "D", e.g on a red traffic light, but it doesn't sound everytime. It seems to come from somewhere under the cabin, but I can't tell exactly where, it spreads all over the car. Could it be some shaft lacking grease or something like that?
This is it: http://maletero.escharlamotor.org/MP3/groan.wav (12 KB)
I swear it's not a cow :)

Is the air conditioning on when you hear the noise?

Hi,

no mods at all except for the tires. It has AHC, if it matters. Yes, the AC is on, I almost never turn it off. Could it be the compressor pulley?

Maybe you outta stop jumping it over dirt piles! :flipoff2: :D

Sounds like a possible loose cat shield problem.

Although mine sounds more like a bunch of small bolts being shaken in a soda can. It is most noticable when stopped although mine acts up in drive and park. Cat Shield Rattle from the FAQ

macneill said:
Maybe you outta stop jumping it over dirt piles! :flipoff2: :D
Now that I listen to the file a second time I think I hear what Macneil is talking about!

http://maletero.escharlamotor.org/MP3/groan.wav

attachment.php

Last edited:
Did you previously remove the anti vibration damper from the chassis?

cruiser88 said:
i was wondering if he checked his lugs after that,maybe ujoints

But in that case it wouldn't sound while stopped, would it?

NMuzj100 said:
Sounds like a possible loose cat shield problem.

Although mine sounds more like a bunch of small bolts being shaken in a soda can. It is most noticable when stopped although mine acts up in drive and park. Cat Shield Rattle from the FAQ

Now that I listen to the file a second time I think I hear what Macneil is talking about!

http://maletero.escharlamotor.org/MP3/groan.wav

member.php

:flipoff2:

The cat shield was my first thought (have read the FAQ several times), but it sounds very different to me than what is described there.

100 TD said:
Did you previously remove the anti vibration damper from the chassis?

No, it's still on place. I have doen some further testing this morning while driving to work, and it didn't happen with the AC off. It did happen once with the AC on, so it seems there can be some relationship. This weekend I will try to have my wife help me and listen with the engine hood open.

I've heard that noise. It's AC related. I've had it at the dealership when under warranty but the noise (on my truck) is so random that I could never reproduce it at the dealership. I'm certain it's AC related. One easy way to find out, but you'll sweat your balls off.

According to a reply I've got some time ago (when I had AC problems) it could be fan's viscous coupling. They produce different levels of noise - I can hear mine, but it's not that loud.

Regards
Samo

Could be related to these TSBs ....

Component Description: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Bulletin Number:021699
Bulletin Date: FEB 1999 Vehicle: 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING A/C EXPANSION VALVE ABNORMAL NOISE. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 605168 )

Bulletin Number:AC00199
Summary: CONCERNS WITH ABNORMAL NOISE FROM THE A/C EXPANSION VALVE ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN VINS JT3HT05J ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 604643 )

Your dealer should be able to pull these up to get the details.

I have just started to notice the same noise(It's getting worse)!
While driving in town I had the AC on and when I came to a stop the noise/vibration occured.I turned off the AC and the noise was gone.

98' jade mica w/33's and 83k mi.

NMuzj100 said:

Bulletin Number:021699
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING A/C EXPANSION VALVE ABNORMAL NOISE. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 605168 )

Bulletin Number:AC00199
Summary: CONCERNS WITH ABNORMAL NOISE FROM THE A/C EXPANSION VALVE ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN VINS JT3HT05J ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 604643 )

Your dealer should be able to pull these up to get the details.

Thanks a lot for the info, I will try at the dealer. Expansion valve seems to be a not-so-expensive part, if it finally needs to be changed. But I don't know if it would be a DIY labor-intensive specialized task.

butch7770 said:
I have just started to notice the same noise(It's getting worse)!
While driving in town I had the AC on and when I came to a stop the noise/vibration occured.I turned off the AC and the noise was gone.

98' jade mica w/33's and 83k mi.

Oh, no! We just discovered the first webforum-transmittable disease ever! :D

BTW, it is even stranger that we both have the same mileage.

NMuzj100 said:

I still have to check with the dealer. I understand this is the offending part:
Expansion valve
Would it be easy to change this part? I'm afraid it would imply a gas recharge in the AC circuit.

Dandon said:
Would it be easy to change this part? I'm afraid it would imply a gas recharge in the AC circuit.

In the FSM its looks easy if you have all the A/C tools.:frown: It requires an evacuation/recharge.

My wife used to have a '98 LC, and it made that noise. We sold it with 36K miles on it. Some 3 years later, I bought a '99 LX, and it makes the same noise. Though it doesn't make the noise as often as hers did, it still does it occasionally. (It sounds like a single groan coming from behind / underneath the whole dash area, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom