For those that want to know ( part-time case) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many have posted about wanting to put an fj-62 case behind there 80. Well durning my build up I am using a 62 series part time case and found out that it does not fit inside the frame rails of the 80 series. the 62 case bolts up to the same tranny as the 80series (91-92). Both 60series and 62series cases bolt up to the h55f...and with that logic. The 60 series case should bolt up and fit in between the frame rails.

I will be running an h55f/62 series part-time case with manual linkage...Because the vac shift on the 62 case is what causes it not to fit.

-Al:beer:

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. If it doesn't fit between the frame rails how are you planning to run it?

Josh83 said:
That doesn't make sense. If it doesn't fit between the frame rails how are you planning to run it?

The vac shift makes the 62 case to large to fit in the frame rails. I had to remove it to make it fit. Now I have to build manual linkage to make it work. It would have been much easier with a 60 series case...But thats what I have and thats what I will make work...

Wanna sell the whole vacumn assembly?;)

maybe...I am not sure what I need from the t-case. Becasue the manual linkage that I have to make that comes off the t-case also has to hold 90wt in. So, I was going to try to make somthing out of the old vac assm. to make it work....If I think of somthing better its up for grabs...

The cool factor besides the part-time case is also the twin sticks in cab. Allowing 2wd low.

Al,
If you have a sec snap a pic of the offendig part asn post it up, I have considered this but never got much furhter.
Dave

Are you sure the 62 case bolts up to a 91/92 440? I'd heard the shaft length differed causing it to not bolt up, frame rails never making it into the equation.

alkaline747trio said:
Are you sure the 62 case bolts up to a 91/92 440? I'd heard the shaft length differed causing it to not bolt up, frame rails never making it into the equation.

not 100% but looking at them side by side they look identical...

PHD...I will snap a pic late tomorrow to show ya...

Preciate it.
Probably not going to go there but it would still be fun.
Dave

alkaline747trio said:
Can you snap a pic of a bare 62 and a bare 80 tranny?

I can in a few days...maybe later this weekend.

So what's the big picture here? You are going through a ton of work to replace a full time case with a part time case - what's the benefit? Just 2 lo (which I agree is very cool, but I wouldn't personally trade it for AWD), or do you really want AWD out of the system and are going to do lockout hubs up front? Better low range ratio?

Nay

For me I have never been that happy with the spider gear set up in the 91-92, I had some issues that I will hopefully resolve pretty quick on the center diff lock. if the diff lock fails to engage than you only need to loose traction on the rt rear wheel and you are not going anywhere. I can not speak to the 93+ viscous coupled cases but on mine it is an issue.
Plus after chasing wires, replacing sensors and going to replace the motor on top of the case if that does not solve the problem a 60 series split case might just get sacrificed to the cause.
Dave

Nay said:
So what's the big picture here? You are going through a ton of work to replace a full time case with a part time case - what's the benefit? Just 2 lo (which I agree is very cool, but I wouldn't personally trade it for AWD), or do you really want AWD out of the system and are going to do lockout hubs up front? Better low range ratio?

Nay

The benefit??... welll.

I never have a use for AWD. maybe if I lived in a snowy area I might keep it. But I rather have a part-time case and asian lock outs just like the 80s get everywhere else in the world.
With having a part time case it takes the wear out of the front end, less friction and noise with out running the front engaged. Also less maintance.

But, this is for an rather odd project.. But should work in the 80.. I was just trying to give out some information to questions gone unanswered.

the 3fe/h55/62 case is going on a 91-21 frame,axles ,suspension..all under a 60 series body.

Just trying to get info on the 80series section since this project is going on in 60s tech...

-Al:beer:

I am lookign into this with the big gay 80 as well. H55F is a great addition to any 3FE; the truck changes dramitcally and actually moves!

One thing to throw in: if you just want part time 4wd the Slee kit is much easier/cheaper than retrofitting a 62 case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom