engine stand question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stupid question.
Before I go and do it wrong, where do you attach a 2f motor to an engine stand? Is it where the flywheel attaches?

NO NOT where the flywheel attaches, where the transmission bellhousing bolts to the back of the motor.

Be Warned! Most cheap engine stands are barely able to hold a fully built F/2F!

Be very carefull when moving it around, it could fall over on you.

Most cheap engine stands are made for small block chevy, especially the ones you can buy for $35 that only have one caster in the front.

-Stumbaugh

Roger that. And you should get a stand rated for at least 1250# and should have a "U" shaped base, not a "T". JMO:)

Ed
engstand 002.jpg

What size are the bolts that fit the stand to the engine. My originals do not fit through the holes in the engine stand attachment points (too short). Anyone know if Lowe's sells some that would work?

Never mind. 12 X 1.75 and 12cm in length for Degenol's stand. Found in search. Got to start using that thing more:doh:

Burling, that size is correct, but 12cm is a little too long and a couple of the bolts bottomed out in the holes before they were tight in the stand, so I used 3 1/2" washers on two of them and just one on the other two. So, get 8 1/2" washers and use 3 on the top two.
I also found it much easier to remove the rotating assembly from the engine stand and bolt it to the engine first, then maneuver the whole thing back into the engine stand with the engine hoist.
HTH

Ed

Yep, went and bought the bolts and they were a little too long. Fit OK with washers though. I was fortunate that I had some.

Thanks for the help.

Super Obscure question

all right guys.....for the cuepie doll....what size and thread angle are the bolts that I would use to put my Dec. 1976 2F block on an engine stand? I assume that the holes to be used would be the bell housing bolt holes and I assume the grade must be 8. Bueller, Bueller? anyone?

12mmx1.75x120mm long is what I used, iirc.

Caterpillar hardware.....

120mm length- 6V-8004

110mm length- 8T-0646

Flat washer- 5P-8245

:beer:

Last edited:
And it can't be called grade 8 for metric, just hardened would work. For metric it would be called 8.8 or 10.2 (Equivalent to Grade 5 and Grade 8)...

And from the pics I have seen they bolted to the engine stand using the bell housing , like you said, which IIRC was 4 bolts...

Edit: 10.9 is grade 8 equivalent , 10.2 doesn't exist, my bad..

Last edited:
Wagner Caterpillar

112 Turner Dr
Durango, CO 81303

(970) 259-2001

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom