TBI Fuel Injection Kits FJ40 2F Engine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent hours looking for the perfect TBI system for my 76 FJ40 2F Engine. Many forums talk about how to put your own system together, or where to find various parts for dif engines. What I’m looking for is the complete kit – Not one that needs to be modified or reprogrammed (Good Customer Service). It would be great if anyone could list links to kits & prices, along with pictures of there own installs and even the pros and cons between the different setups. Thanks Malkie :shotts:

Welcome.

Try this...

There is not ANYTHING out there for a Land Cruiser that will be bolt on and not require SOME modifications of some sort.....

Good luck!

-Steve

I think we're getting somewhere....

I've heard of Man-a-fre before, but $2500 seems a bit high... :ban:

tbiacadapter.jpg

Man-A-Fre's Throttle Body Fuel injection kit, is a complete conversion kit, that includes just about everything you will need to
adapt your "2F" and retain your stock air cleaner assembly. This kit will can also be adapted to an "F" engine, but is designed for the "2F" oval type air cleaner, which will need to be retrofitted. Our kit is a GM throttle body mated to a computer controlled DUI, HEI ignition distributor, with matching "Live Wire" plug wires. All electronics are included, fuel pump, oxygen sensor w/weld in bung, detonation sensor, map air sensor, coolant sensor, fuse box, computer, relays, wiring, connectors, etc. Throttle cable and bracket are included. 4+Plus manufactured manifold adapter, and "2F" air cleaner adapter fitted w/fuel vapor fitting. All gaskets, nuts and bolts are included. Installation of this kit does require welding (oxygen sensor fitting), and conversion to a throttle cable.

Installation will also require a fair degree of mechanical skill. 1/75-7/80 FJ40's will require separate purchase of cable type pedal
assembly listed below. 8/80-83 FJ40's require modification of stock pedal to accept cable. Early vehicles w/o fuel return system will need to be modified. Installation of this kit will provide dramatic improvements in power, torque, and fuel economy. Our 1982 FJ40 converted to this system, now starts instantly every time, as the TBI automatically adjusts for temperature, fuel quality, and altitude. Feed back controlled fuel injection delivers optimum fuel mixture at all throttle, and rpm levels, insuring the highest potential fuel economy and power. DUI computer controlled HEI ignition distributor automatically optimizes spark, and adjusts for fuel quality. DUI has built in connector for tach. Best of all, no funky open air cleaner, retention of TAC (thermal air cleaner) hose, and all breathers hooked up to stock air cleaner. If you run, or want to run a Safari Snorkel "no worries" it will fit like the stock carburetor. Installation available at our facilities by appointment.

I just received 2 other links VIA E-mail

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.customefis.com/ $1450 - Looks like everything is included with this one..

Kit Includes :cheers:

Standard parts included in all TBI kits include:

1) a brand new custom built 2 barrel throttle body containing two injectors matched to your engine size and horsepower requirements,

2) a wiring harness custom built to fit your car with the highest quality wire loom and Packard weatherpak OEM GM connectors,

3) the absolute best quality electric frame mounted fuel pump with mounting bracket and rubber isolator (fuel pump has a lifetime warranty),

4) new oxygen (O2) sensor, MAP, throttle position, idle air control, and coolant temperature sensors,

5) a used but tested Engine Control Module (ECM) with custom programmed calibration chip for your car,

6) A GM computer controlled ignition module that is interfaced with your stock distributor. This allows the ECM to control the timing as well as the fuel on nearly any engine.

7) A cable that converts a laptop computer (laptop computer furnished by the customer) into a GM ECM scantool. A scantool displays engine sensor information and allows you to diagnose any potential problems with your GM EFI system. The software that works with this cable is free on the internet as of this writing; see the WINALDL software link in my website.

8) high pressure (250 PSI) fuel line for the fuel supply and return lines from the pump to the TBI and back to your steel fuel return line at the frame and all the required fittings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/home.php $1200 (HEI ignition distributor, with matching "Live Wire" plug wires Not included) :rolleyes:

product_image.php

Here is another one.......

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com $1420

tbi-system-600.jpg

Complete Toyota Throttle Body Fuel Injection System

Toyota I6 This system includes a complete TBI conversion plus a custom HEI distributor for complete fuel and spark control.
  • Complete HEI distributor
  • Rebuilt TBI unit with Flow Matched Injectors
  • ECM (rebuilt and tested GM production)
  • Complete wiring harness
  • AFI specially calibrated chip
  • Adapter plate, gaskets, hardware
  • External Electric fuel pump with filter
  • Fuel pump relay
  • Power relay
  • Coolant sensor
  • MAP sensor
  • O2 sensor
  • Check engine indicator
  • Installation instructions
  • Tech support
  • Many miles of low maintenance fuel injection operation

damnit that link isnt direct. go to engine components then fuel injection

i'm curious how many people on here have done any of these conversions and how it has worked for them?
i'm not trying to hyjack the thread so this can be removed and i can start a new thread if need be.

For what it's worth
Unless you absolutly, positively, without a doubt know what you are doing,
BUY THE WIRING HARNESS, don't try to put it together yourself.

I have been helping a friend of mine chase down electrical gremlins in her TBI 350 truck since she bought it. When it throws check engine lights, it's easy to troubleshoot, when it doesn't throw check engine lights, it's a BITCH to troubleshoot.

After helping my friend with her truck, I feel that the $350 for a howell wiring harness is Money well spent.

Update to Other Repleys!!!!
Turbo City

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_21&products_id=26 $1700 - Electronic Distributor Not Included

970_146.JPG

Toyota Landcruiser 258
Straight 6
970-146

Package is specific for Toyota Landcruiser [FJ] 258. Kit includes manifold adapter to use your stock intake with the GM TBI assembly. A custom harness, required sensors, and fuel pump are included. A magnetic pick-up distributor capable of triggering the GM electronics must be obtained . The Toyota magnetic distributor DOES NOT trigger reliably. The Toyota distributor can be modified to work properly. This kit is NOT CARB approved for use in California.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downey Offroad
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Catalog/index.htm $$$ No Price Listed!!!

Phone # 562-949-9494

FI-6.jpg
shim.gif
FI-7.jpg
shim.gif
shim.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LANDCRUISER FUEL INJECTION[/FONT]
shim.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now Landcruiser owners can enjoy the advantages of 6 cylinder electronic fuel injection that other vehicle owners have enjoyed for years. We know you will have a million questions, so call or fax for Downey’s free installation instruction manual!
NOTE – 1974-newer models must have a throttle cable conversion kit #78174-26 or #781F6-26.
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Improved management, lower emissions[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Improved mileage, improved performance[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pressurized system, no float bowl hassles[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Automatic choke and idle control[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Automatic altitude compensation[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21-22 MPG on FJ40 models!!![/FONT]

Found this testimonial in a forum!!!!

post_old.gif
08-23-04, 11:10 PM #1 sledge916 vbmenu_register("postmenu_207846", true);
IH8MUD Regular

icon14.gif
Installed Costom EFS fuel injection, WOW it is the smack
Hello All,

Just thought I would give a report, I installed this system in my 77 fj40, In a weekend.

http://www.customefis.com/

His name is John Wilson, It is a 4.3 throtlle body system with a HEI Ignition Distributor, computer controlled, external fuel pump,all I can say is holy moly batman, it works awsome!!!!!!!!!!

I am on my 2nd chip to tune to my specks, he provides Exallent support and is always ready to help me work things out, he even burned in the chip a electric PTO feature for me, all I did is put that wire on a switch and walaaa, 1100 rpm's just so happens to be peak output on my GM alt. 96 amps. So I can run the winch now with full power.

His kit does not come with every little thing, had to get my own throttle cable, cable mount, and a couple of nick nacks, my install was a bit more complex probly due to switching valve, duel tanks you know, I used MAN-A-Free adapter so I am useing my stock air cleaner with snorckel, but the wire harness is fully labeled and the right size, wire loomed ect, real nice craftsmanship.

Runs on O2 and map sensor, thats it!

He even has a program you can download for free, install program on to lap top, then plug it into my fj, then go on test drive, save data, then e-mail it to him, he reviews it then make nessasary changes to the chip as needed, and he can help trouble shoot drivability problems, now aint that the shiz nit!!!!!!!!!

If you are sick of carbs like I was, I am at 7600 feet elavation, this is the way to go. Off road performannce is awsome too.

When I get some time I will snap some photos of the install, real busy now, have to leed the Az. Land cruiser ass. trip this weekend. http://www.azlca.net/default.htm

No I am not conected to this guy, and yes I spell like crap,hey just had to write this for John, he has bent over backwords to help and I am a very happy costmer.

post_old.gif
08-24-04, 06:05 PM #22 sledge916 vbmenu_register("postmenu_208311", true);
IH8MUD Regular

Poseidon

sure you can put this together yourself, thats easy , I wanted to do that too, but my issue was how in the heck are you going to tune the chip, that stuff is expenceive, and fuel injection takes some experiance to master, I was having idleing problems (ilding too high)as well as cold start problems (way rich) ,as well as a throtle follower program doing bad stuff, all with the first chip, this was a chip from someone in this feild as a guess to get it started and running so a a data download could be looked at, then he fixed from there.

I paid for his knowledge of the system, 1 weekend install, I am not much on sitting here in front of this confuzer typing, pecking actully, I would rather be outdoors enjoying my fj, and his ability to tune my truck from 2100 miles away, thats what you pay for. just seemed like a good way to go since the time to master this is a long ways off even for a good wrencher like me.

I guess I am likeing this system because John has taken a real intrest in cruisers, trying his best to get it right, he said that a couple of people wanted to see how mine turned out before they bought 1, I guess they will be ordering soon.

Best of luck with your future install, and let us know how it works.

post_old.gif
08-31-04, 10:32 AM #27 sledge916 vbmenu_register("postmenu_211736", true);
IH8MUD Regular

well, weekend of AZLCA trail runs is over, Just wanted to say that my TBI is working awsome!!!!!!!

Starts cold to pipen hot, no problems at all, did all angles and no vapor lock. lots easyer on gas and has a little more power.

So there you have it, it is a good thing.

Seth

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"21-22 MPG on FJ40 models!!!"[/FONT]

That is a bold claim. Can anyone running a FJ40 TBI verify this?

Man what a good subject for me to come across. I ordered a tbi kit for my 2f from customefis about 11 months ago....still havent seen it. I really like John but have been a little concerned lately. I love his web site and he really knows what he is talking about. Like my old man says, "proof is in the pudding", but I havent even smelled the pudding yet. I wish I could tell you how it works. His kit might be the best ever as far as I know, but I wouldnt order one untill you hear from me. Just a word to the wise..

How deep in the pocket does one have to dig in order to have truck performance analysis on a "dyno":confused: Or as suggested using johns expertise on the matter.

I have the Turbo City kit, i bought it when it first came out. 4wheel and offroad did an article on it. If you serch the online mag you will find it. great kit looks like the price went up i think i paid 1300. Great customer service they burned a couple chips for me, I had them increase the fuel at idle. Give them a call. For the distributor I went with a HEI that MUDRAK made, works killer.
Picture%20004.jpg
Picture%20005.jpg
Picture%20006.jpg

Read my thread about John Wilson at Customefis in 40, 60, or chat forum. I hope it will steer you away. Search John Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom