DrawTite Hitch Install on Red '96 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grench

SILVER Star
Threads
About two months ago I installed a brand new after factory hitch on the wife's new to us 1996 FZJ80. There have been a few comments about 80 hitch drag. This one isn't quite as much of a plow as the factory hitches are. To top it off it is rated to 600 lb tongue weight and 6,000 lb trailer weight on a load distributing hitch. I understand that the factory isn't rated for load distribution.

Basicly, it is a one step heavier duty hitch than the factory one. I like how it mounts and sits. It does extend from the bumper a bit, but that is unavoidable with the spare.

I think it looks good. Your opinion may vary. I also got the DrawTite trailer lights computerized box. It uses the factory plugs and then breaks out the left/right signals Vs. brake light. It isn't shown in the pictures because I mounted it inside the frame to protect it. I know... I know... I should trim those wire ties.
IMGP1300.jpg
IMGP1301.jpg
IMGP1303.jpg

More pics

Some more pictures detailing the wiring. The magic box is behind the frame through the 4" holes. The black plugs are factory and should be there on any FZJ80. The spare holes in the factory bumper were convenient, but I think I'd like to find a better place to put the pigtail.
IMGP1304.jpg
IMGP1306.jpg

looks good. I reccomend adding something to pad that reciever as it will prove to be a sore point sticking out like that. I have been trailering alot lately and can only vaguely remember when my rear bumper looked as nice as yours. I seem to have a knack for tapping the trailer when I'm hooking up.......rust proof the heck out of that open ended sqaure tube as well...:cheers:

same hitch is on my rig, works great. with a OME med/med it doesn't even sag in the rear with my boat hooked up.

That brand came on my rig, it looked like that too, until I started banging it on rocks and welding stuff to it!:hillbilly:

rear_bumper_1.jpg

Can someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a hitch? also are they fairly easy to take off? Say if I wanted it removed when I went wheeling...or looking at if from a different angle if I only wanted it on there when I was towing?

thanks guys

PS is there a good place to just buy these online and install yourself?:confused:

Where and how much...

You're right. I'm missing big chunks of what should have been in this write-up.

If I recall right, I got the hitch from www.hitchfinder.com. It is the DrawTite Class IV.

The hitch is about $150 + shipping + $22 for the electrical pigtail came out to about $230 or so. They aren't light. Shipping is expensive.

The hitch came with new bolts. Installing it was a matter of removing the tow hooks, supporting the new hitch on jack stands 'close enough', manhandling it into place and getting a few threads to catch.

Tools needed:
  • 1 can PB blaster
  • Breaker bar & big metric sockets (for tow hook removal). Air is helpfull here too.
  • 2 jack stands
  • Torque Wrench - same one you have for the 75lbs you put on your wheels. You do torque your wheels, right?
  • Zip ties
  • Old Toothbrush (to clean out the gunk in the electrical connector that isn't connected to anything.)
  • Drill & 5/32" bit to tap for the ground screw. There is some room on the bit size.
  • Nut driver for ground screw

The job took me about 45 minutes to do it solo. If I'd have had another set of hands to hold up the bumper while I got the bolts threaded and for cleanup, it would have taken 20. I'm about :banana: generally and :banana: :banana: on a real good day.

barrypt5 said:
Can someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a hitch? also are they fairly easy to take off? Say if I wanted it removed when I went wheeling...or looking at if from a different angle if I only wanted it on there when I was towing?

thanks guys

PS is there a good place to just buy these online and install yourself?:confused:

Don't take it off when wheeling unless you have a proper rear bumper. The hitch makes a good platform for sliding your butt off of rocks instead of using your factory bumper.

Many guys that have replaced their factory bumper have their old hitches. Mine went to the dump years ago. :-( Post in the wanted section or put a gentle reminder in your sig line... I'm sure something will come up and possibly in your area so you won't have to pay shipping.

-B-

For my wife's pretty red truck I wanted a -nice- hitch. I had the rusted banged up one off of my grey build truck. The body shop wanted $125 to strip & powder coat the old one. I had them chuck it in the recycling bin.

Having had both on and off '96 TLCs, I have to say that the DrawTite hitch is the higher quality of the two. The only annoying bit is that it extends past the bumper. This is better than having a plow blade hanging down in back like the factory hitch though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom