Off Topic : Went Wheeling in PA .. Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I just thought you might want to see some wheeling pictures. A few of my buddies from Cleveland and I went out to south western PA to 4 wheel old logging/minig roads this past weekend. If anyone is intrested in going we'll probably head out again in september. It's not an official event and the planning in sketchy but we usually have alot of fun. We stay at a KOA and the just head out the the mountain to wheel. Here is a link to some of the pics from the weekend.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m175/Tripower389/

- Jason

IMG_0029.jpg

Nice! Looks like a blast. Where was this?

Mark,

It's Outside of Connellsville Pennsylvania. Near where Indian Creek Flows into the Yough.

- Jason

I have heard of this place. Obviously worth the trip over. How much is available to wheel or camp? Any fishing.

You drove over in the Sammi? Sorry for all the Qs, but these are first real pics of the place I've seen.

Mark,

No problem about the questions. I hope people as them. First off its about a 4 hour drive out 70 to this place. The Town is a Old rail/ Coke coal town. It had its Hay day back in the 1880-and early 19 teens. It was a decent town up through 1940s but the wit the advent of the Highway system Connellsville was bypased. There isn't much going on in town and the infrastruture seems to be suffering from poor managment at the city level. So there is a few resturants and shops stores etc. The town really isnt a toursit destiantion, there is one motel in the town and Camping at either ohiopyle state park or at a Koa. Either place to camp is about 20 minutes away. The land that we wheel we use to camp on about 5 years back but that was before the Pa Game commision bought it. Now as it is to my understanding Primitive camping is not welcome on the game lands. In my opinion and experience you dont really want to camp up there. You are a good 40 min ride from anything if you need something and if you leave anything valuable at a primiteve camp site on the mountain it will probably not be there when you get back. As far as Driving and wheeling on the game lands go it is permitted as long as it is on a marked road. You just have to make sure you arent up there during a hunting season. There are 2 other parts of the mountain one is public land which is open to wheeling and the other is owned by a logging company. To the best of my knowledge The logging company is fine with people wheeling as long as they are respectful to the land and dont liter or cut down any trees. As the Terrain goes. Pictures you see are about the most challening trails that i know of. Keep in mind though you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. Also you have to be prepared for anything it isnt a wheeling park so there is no one to bail you out if you get stuck or there is something you cant pass etc. It's alot of fun for all trucks from stock to built as you can see in the pictures. You could spend a week out there and not cover even get close to seeing everything or cover every trail there is. The trails are not marked except for the game land roads. There is alot of forgotten history in the area with a number of Old Rail and mining builing foundations and infrastruture that has been abandoned. Also there is a number of Shaft Coal mines in the area that are best left to rest. There is a Beautiful scening creek that runs through the area near the old coal mines and rail road. There is a number of rocks that would be alot of fun to wheel if you were up to it.

As for the Sami I trailerd it out to the KOA and drove into the town. There is a little bit of freeway driving you have to do with the Trail Vehicle coming from the KOA. If you know what the entrance ramps in PA are like then you must know your vehicle should be able to get up to speed quickly.

And As fishing goes you could do as much as you want the creek and the Yough are both good for it.

- Jason

Onur,

No problem i'll let you know when were thinking were going again.

- jason

Tripower389 said:
Mark,

No problem about the questions. I hope people as them. First off its about a 4 hour drive out 70 to this place. The Town is a Old rail/ Coke coal town. It had its Hay day back in the 1880-and early 19 teens. It was a decent town up through 1940s but the wit the advent of the Highway system Connellsville was bypased. There isn't much going on in town and the infrastruture seems to be suffering from poor managment at the city level. So there is a few resturants and shops stores etc. The town really isnt a toursit destiantion, there is one motel in the town and Camping at either ohiopyle state park or at a Koa. Either place to camp is about 20 minutes away. The land that we wheel we use to camp on about 5 years back but that was before the Pa Game commision bought it. Now as it is to my understanding Primitive camping is not welcome on the game lands. In my opinion and experience you dont really want to camp up there. You are a good 40 min ride from anything if you need something and if you leave anything valuable at a primiteve camp site on the mountain it will probably not be there when you get back. As far as Driving and wheeling on the game lands go it is permitted as long as it is on a marked road. You just have to make sure you arent up there during a hunting season. There are 2 other parts of the mountain one is public land which is open to wheeling and the other is owned by a logging company. To the best of my knowledge The logging company is fine with people wheeling as long as they are respectful to the land and dont liter or cut down any trees. As the Terrain goes. Pictures you see are about the most challening trails that i know of. Keep in mind though you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. Also you have to be prepared for anything it isnt a wheeling park so there is no one to bail you out if you get stuck or there is something you cant pass etc. It's alot of fun for all trucks from stock to built as you can see in the pictures. You could spend a week out there and not cover even get close to seeing everything or cover every trail there is. The trails are not marked except for the game land roads. There is alot of forgotten history in the area with a number of Old Rail and mining builing foundations and infrastruture that has been abandoned. Also there is a number of Shaft Coal mines in the area that are best left to rest. There is a Beautiful scening creek that runs through the area near the old coal mines and rail road. There is a number of rocks that would be alot of fun to wheel if you were up to it.

As for the Sami I trailerd it out to the KOA and drove into the town. There is a little bit of freeway driving you have to do with the Trail Vehicle coming from the KOA. If you know what the entrance ramps in PA are like then you must know your vehicle should be able to get up to speed quickly.

And As fishing goes you could do as much as you want the creek and the Yough are both good for it.

- Jason

I wanna go...that sounds awesome. Gonna put those pics on the new website. :beer:

I want to go...flat out.

Do you have to log in or register to get the waypoints? I see the narrative on the town. Camp there??

We should do a Halloween ride there...Night time too!

Mark,

I do think you have to be registered on that site inorder to see the points. Well start planning later this month for the next trip.

- Jason

Tripower389 said:
Mark,

I do think you have to be registered on that site inorder to see the points. Well start planning later this month for the next trip.

- Jason

I'm signing up right now.

Hey guys!

I am a member of the STEEL CITY LAND CRUISER CLUB and would like to get our two clubs together for a trip to these trails.

Would you belive I live 20 miles away from there and the last time I was there was back in 93.

Kick ass...Jason was thinkin' later in September or early October for this. Should be a blast. No doubt.!

Please join us. :beer:

cruiser88 said:
i would really like to tag along im just in wetzel tyler co. in west virginia about 35 min.from wheeling:D

The more the merrier. As soon as Jason sets a weekend, we'll start a new thread to discuss details.

Always good to meet other Cruiserheads..

JuttyShabango said:
The more the merrier. As soon as Jason sets a weekend, we'll start a new thread to discuss details.

Always good to meet other Cruiserheads..
thanks much i will go .cant get enough wheeling:D .are you going to paragon this weekend.i was wondering when i was going to see some ohio wheelers this year or not.ive only got to meetfj40 jim so far

cruiser88 said:
thanks much i will go .cant get enough wheeling:D .are you going to paragon this weekend.i was wondering when i was going to see some ohio wheelers this year or not.ive only got to meetfj40 jim so far

This trip will be my next out and wish I could get a trip in sooner, but life is in the way right now.

We are going to be a club in good standing at the end of this month and should officially get us back on the scene again as a club and making more apperances at the events.

I hear ya though, in 05' I made it out 26 times offroad wheeling hard in my mini truck...not this year...but soon..very soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom