steering ajustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a '74 fj40 and the steeing on it is really sloppy, iv been told its easy enough to ajust, just ajust the center arm....my question is how? any help would be appreciated

thanks

yotawheeler said:
i have a '74 fj40 and the steeing on it is really sloppy, iv been told its easy enough to ajust, just ajust the center arm....my question is how? any help would be appreciated

thanks

:confused: Ummm not really sure, But In most cases when the steering is sloppy is becasue your tie rods are warn out

There's steering adjustment both at the center arm and at the steering box. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the orbit of the arm on the center arm. If it's normal, you're good. If it's eliptical, you can try to tighten it (works sometimes), or you're in for a rebuild. (One banana job). You can take a bit more slack out with an adjustment to the steering box itself. On the side toward the engine, there's a big nut (may be behind the heat shield) with a screw in the center of it (straight slot). Loosen the lock nut, and while holding it so it won't tighten up, turn the straight screw in toward the box. You can go too much here, and the steering wheel won't return to center when you cut a corner, so trial and error is the key. Obviously, check all the other stuff like wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and etc.

First thing to do is find where the slop is. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at every connection betwen the steering box to the wheel beaarings. Any movement that is not related to turning the wheel is slop. Replace or tighten anything that has slop.

I'm not a fan of just "adjusting" manual steering boxes, because if the sector shaft (the steering box shaft that the pitman arm is connected to) bushings are worn, and you tighten the adjuster to eliminate all the play, it can cause the box casting to crack when you hit a bump hard. Replace any worn bushings first and then it is OK to adjust it.

If you need to adjust the center arm, loosen the small bolt on top and then turn the big nut it is sticking out of tighter until it bottoms out. Then loosen it a half turn. Then tighten the small bolt back down while holding the big nut so it doesn't turn.

i just replaced my tie rod ends so i dont think its going to be those i hope, looking at my center arm when i move the wheel it has an eliptical motion so ill start from there and then see if theres a change or not then start going down the line of things that it could be wrong as you guys have also suggested.

thanks

if you add grease to the center arm and it gets better, there's your issue

On my steering box, the input shaft moves in and out while the wheel turns. It is VERY sloppy.

My steering box is a mini truck power box. Can I still adjust it? Or do I need to do some shopping....

The end play is adjustable, but IIRC it is not just tightening the screw, there is also a rectangular washer under the screw head inside. The proper procedure is covered in the FSM. For sure turning the adjuster will remove the end play; I just don't know if that is all there is to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom