Fj40 lockers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WHich do you recomend first, I want to buy one locker, my options are Powertrax ("auto locker"), Lockright (all time) and aussie locker (cheap powertrax)...

I can only buy one, should I put it on the back, or on the front, and why?

I use my FJ40 for everyday driving, and I dont have power steering.

Please help!

Welcome.

Install it in the rear, as in the other 100+ threads on this topic, that was the same answer. ;)

If you are going to go auto locker, any will do.

Good luck!

-Steve

fj40ec said:
WHich do you recomend first, I want to buy one locker, my options are Powertrax ("auto locker"), Lockright (all time) and aussie locker (cheap powertrax)...

I can only buy one, should I put it on the back, or on the front, and why?

I use my FJ40 for everyday driving, and I dont have power steering.

Please help!

Thanks, a lot, I have a question, just for knowing, why I should put it in the back?

Thank you!

Why do you NEED a locker?

What are you going to be doing that you NEED a locker?

numtel said:
Well for one, you don't have power steering and with the front locked it becomes a lot harder to steer.

I live in ecuador, a country with a lot of mountains, so, we off road a lot, and there is always a lot of mud, and I am tired of being always stuck and left behind!!

fj40ec said:
I live in ecuador, a country with a lot of mountains, so, we off road a lot, and there is always a lot of mud, and I am tired of being always stuck and left behind!!

Then put it in the rear. All those lockers you mentioned will do just fine for what you are asking it to do.

I have a lockrite in the rear of my FJ40. It functons just fine. Just realize that it does load up sometimes and lets go quite loudly. BAM! Don't worry, it sounds bad but that is the way it works. Been in for??? 6 years? IIRC It is designed to slip under heavy load.

One warning. Quality control on the EZlockers has been VERY poor recently. Of the last 4 that I bought, 3 were faulty. Another one purchased a bit earlier, but only recently installed brings it to 4 that I have had to return in the last few months.

I have had no problems with Lockrights and Aussie Lockers.

Mark...

Why....that's good question. I have two aussie lockers sitting a box for several years....and I'm not so sure I want to install them. I was hoping to put them in the front on my two 40's. I think the biggest reason is Turning for me. Since you are puting more stress your chances of breaking something increase dramaticly especially if you are turning while they are locked. And it's also easier to control if you have them in back.

Since I do a lot of freeway driving during rush hour, I would rather have the option of disengaging my lockers. My opinion is...if can locate electric or cable lockers that would be the way to go.

fj40ec said:
Thanks, a lot, I have a question, just for knowing, why I should put it in the back?

Thank you!

fjwagon said:
Why....that's good question. I have two aussie lockers sitting a box for several years....and I'm not so sure I want to install them. I was hoping to put them in the front on my two 40's. I think the biggest reason is Turning for me. Since you are puting more stress your chances of breaking something increase dramaticly especially if you are turning while they are locked. And it's also easier to control if you have them in back.

Since I do a lot of freeway driving during rush hour, I would rather have the option of disengaging my lockers. My opinion is...if can locate electric or cable lockers that would be the way to go.

In your situation I would put them in the front. On the freeway in 2wd and the front hubs unlocked it business as usual right?

I did Rubithon with them 2yrs ago, and couldn't be happier w/how they performed.

With regard to street driving...In 2H with hubs are unlocked, you wouldn't know they were there.

mr_manny said:
With regard to street driving...In 2H with hubs are unlocked, you wouldn't know they were there.

X2

At least after you figure out what they don't like. They don't like to switch back and forth between acceleration and deceleration in turns and they will pop and bang to let you know. It is normal.

That was the main reason got them :) and I may still do that. But there are times when you are wheeling and want to disengage them so can make tight turns. I may install one and see how it pans out.:)

Howdy,

I've got an Aussie in the back of my '76 FJ40 which is my daily driver (city streets) with 4 or 5 off-road trips per year, almost all dirt and mud. I guarantee you it's the best bang for the buck I can think of off-road (well maybe after tires, but those are a necessity). There's no comparison to an open differential. On the street it's clunky and bangs every now and then but rarely and it's livable. The most annoying is backing out of a parking place or real tight parking lot turns where it's pretty clunky. I have an ARB all set up in a third member but haven't put it in yet. It's going in the rear to avoid the noise of the auto locker and the Aussie is going in the front. Everyone says auto lockers in the front are not a very good idea because of the handling and steering but with the front hubs unlocked which I will do on the street it's invisible.

I'd go with the locker in the rear...it'll take you about anywhere you wanna go. The Aussie is great, goes in easy, complete instructions, about $260 delivered on my porch. Only problem is I hear they are or recently were on back order. They get a boat load every now and then. Call and find out availability.

HTH
Pete

This summer was the first time I put any extensive trail miles on a locked truck. Lucky for me I had the coin to put an ARB in front (with an Aussie in the rear). An auto locker in the front would kill the joy for me. Way too much tendancy in tight turns to go straight and lose traction. The times I locked the front I had to slow to an absolute crawl to maintain steering AND traction. It's a different feel. Now I only lock the front out of necessity and leave it open most of the time. Like Pete said, an Aussie (or equivalent) in the rear adds tons of traction.

fj40ec said:
I'd get some new wheelin' buddies first.
My group is like the marines, we never leave anyone behind. And they have helped me a lot when it came to figuring out what I needed to do to make my rig more trail worthy.

fj40ec said:

Some 44 would fix that problem and a big block, But if you go rear you here it kick in the turns and maybe have to use less gas. And if you do put in the front you well not have that problem in the street but steering would be hard offroading

rusty_tlc said:
I'd get some new wheelin' buddies first.
My group is like the marines, we never leave anyone behind. And they have helped me a lot when it came to figuring out what I needed to do to make my rig more trail worthy.

Im not left behind, but, I hate being the one that shoul be helped by the other ones, I like to help!

The big problem with lockrites, and such, in the front, IMHO, is when the front locks up, it is next to impossible to turn the wheels. If your moving and it locks up, turning can be problem but doable. If your stopped and the front is locked, the only way I could turn would be to back up a bit and get the front rolling before attempting to turn. This year I put a ARB in the front, wasn't cheap, but it makes a world of difference. Being able to turn the locker on only when it is needed is wonderful after fighting that lockrite in the front for so many years.

That's exactly the dilemma I'm in. I want to have the option to activate the locker when you really need it or when you really must have it off. The only problem I have is I don't want an ARB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom